I'm moving to the LA area

So, I'll be a California resident by this time next week. I'll be living in North Hills in the San Fernando Valley (blech) for a while to see if I dig the vibes out there. Are there any SoCal residents here who could direct me towards some cool things to do/check out? (Music/Arts-oriented things mostly, but anything cool and unexpected.) That would be great. Thanks.

I live in San Diego. There's definitely lots of fun stuff to do here. On the plus side, too, living in Jersey won't seem that much different expense-wise.

North Hills? Dang, we'll practically be neighbors! Sherman Oaks is only a few miles away.

As for fun, I'm the wrong person to ask: married with 2 kids = logging on to VC for fun!

Just check with the LA Times thursday entertainment guide, LA Weekly, Los Angeles Magazine, etc. for a head's up on upcoming events. There's always plenty cookin'! Just be prepared to go into Hollywood or the Westside to do it. The Valley is somewhat the bastard stepchild of the LA area. Don't expect the whole city to be or act one particular way, it's very fragmented and diverse. If you only look around North Hills you'll be out of here in about 2 weeks. Get out and explore!

There's a fantastic Dylan exhibit at the Skirball Center focusing on his early career, complete with his original type-written lyrics for several songs, his guitars, etc. It ends sometime in June, not sure when.

Twice a year the Art Brewery near downtown hosts an open house - the next one is in October I believe. The place is a huge former Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery that has been converted into artists lofts. People open up their studios and their living quarters to the public for the weekend. A must see at some point!

The Sherman Oaks Galleria now has an Arclight cinema, complete with a bar in the lobby that overlooks the 405 freeway. Haven't been yet, but I hear it's pretty damn cool!

North Hills? Dang, we'll practically be neighbors! Sherman Oaks is only a few miles away.

I lived on Burbank Blvd. in Sherman Oaks for a year. Yeah, there are a few things to do in the Valley like the Galleria, but all of the excitement is over the hill, especially in Hollywood. We used to take Mulholland drive (beautiful drive) into Hollywood, and just drive down Sunset Blvd.. You'll always find something to do there.

Be sure to visit Amoeba records and the Getty. Also, LACMA is a really wonderful art museum.

I've been to LA twice and both times we went to Amoeba records... and both times I spent a few hours there. I LOVE that place! They have a entire warehouse attached to the building that is nothing but vinyl.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I actually went to Amoeba when I visited a couple weeks ago. I think I'll be spending some rainy Sundays in that place. (if it ever rains, that is)

I still need to get to the Donut Hole out in La Puente one of these days:

vfiles2376.jpg

Pick up an LA Weekly, and you'll be presented with no shortage of great clubs (my beloved Largo, McCabe's Guitar Shop, Hotel Cafe, and many, many more).

The Sherman Oaks Galleria now has an Arclight cinema, complete with a bar in the lobby that overlooks the 405 freeway. Haven't been yet, but I hear it's pretty damn cool!

this is a FANTASTIC recommendation!

seeing movies at an arclight cinema is a real treat! great screens, sound, NO COMMERCIALS! or cheesy bs. trivia on the screen.

and there is a bar there.

yes. a bar. with tap beer and snacks.

if you dig baseball, take in a dodger game!

what do you do for kicks in your old digs?

do you go out at night? homebody? beach guy? give us some details so we can steer you in the right direction :dancing

oh: shows at the hollywood bowl, saturday night screenings at the hollywood forever cemetary are terrific los angeles summer things!

oh: shows at the hollywood bowl, saturday night screenings at the hollywood forever cemetary are terrific los angeles summer things!

The Bowl is probably my #1 favorite LA thing to do. Doesn't really matter what is playing, just go! Get there plenty early, bring a nice picnic with a bottle of wine, find a table (our usual spot is the park across the street, so we can put all the stuff away easily after we eat since there's a parking lot right there) and then stroll over afterwards. Don't forget to give a buck to the guy with the opera singing puppet after the show - love him!

Hey there --

I moved to the LA area back in February. Life moves pretty fast out here, IMO. Lots of cool things to do. I lived in the heart of hollywood for the last four months and just recently moved into a house in North Hollywood. Life in the valley definitely isn't as cool as some other places.

Lookout on those gas prices....I'm seeing lots of $4.50/gal.

Checkout Santa Monica and Venice. Take a trip down to Palos Verdes.

a drive out to Joshua Tree NP is worth every cent.

the stars at night are like nowhere else.

Totally! I still remember how beautiful and vivid the stars were when I was there. Definitely a great place to watch the stars; better than Hollywood and Vine that's for sure :).

Totally! I still remember how beautiful and vivid the stars were when I was there. Definitely a great place to watch the stars; better than Hollywood and Vine that's for sure :).

I would like to third this comment. The best campout I ever had was in Joshua Tree.

(I also also agree with alison about the Griffith Observatory and Pinks)