Magazine Called Sunset opening music

At the start of Magazine, there's about a 7 second clip of what sounds like canned music before the full orchestration starts. Is that a Wilco original, or is it sampled from something else?

I remember hearing that clip of music on a golf commercial a couple years ago, which is what made me wonder.

At the start of Magazine, there's about a 7 second clip of what sounds like canned music before the full orchestration starts. Is that a Wilco original, or is it sampled from something else?

I remember hearing that clip of music on a golf commercial a couple years ago, which is what made me wonder.

It's been mentioned here before. I tried to do a search but it must be deep in there. It's a sample.

Analogman?

Maybe I'm a bad searcher or something, but after 14 pages and 35 minutes of searching, I only found a handful of threads specifically discussing Magazine, and there was no consensus on where that little piece of music is from. Bummer.

Also, as I go back to listen to the song...am I the only one who prefers the YHF Demos verson over the MLTM version?

Maybe I'm a bad searcher or something, but after 14 pages and 35 minutes of searching, I only found a handful of threads specifically discussing Magazine, and there was no consensus on where that little piece of music is from. Bummer.

Also, as I go back to listen to the song...am I the only one who prefers the YHF Demos verson over the MLTM version?

I feel your pain on the Archives. It's dark down there in the dungeon. Like a coal mine, even.

But to make this post relevant, Yes, I do prefer the Demo version to the official EP release. It's the one that I heard first, and it just kinda stuck on the first listen.

Cheers,

Kevin

Its actually part of the DEMO funtion on the mellotron. A mellotron has a bunch of different sounds and all are run by tapes. Magazine is full of 'tron strings and voices. and like many keyboards the tron has canned tapes that work as demo features for the instrument.

I made a major fool of myself when I discovered this while overdubbing with a real mellotron at Q division on our new EP when we put the key in (you need a key!) and fired it up it played that intro and i started saying "MAGAZINE! MAGAZINE!" to which our non wilco obsessed engineer replied... "no. mellotron. mellotron."

Its actually part of the DEMO funtion on the mellotron. A mellotron has a bunch of different sounds and all are run by tapes. Magazine is full of 'tron strings and voices. and like many keyboards the tron has canned tapes that work as demo features for the instrument.

That explains a lot Dave. :thumbup I have a King Crimson show from '69 (when they used a bunch of mellotron) and during the improv bits at the end of "Travel Weary Capricorn" (and right before "Mars") I'd swear it's the same piece of music. Like a 'cha-cha-cha' dance lesson music.

I made a major fool of myself when I discovered this while overdubbing with a real mellotron at Q division on our new EP when we put the key in (you need a key!) and fired it up it played that intro and i started saying "MAGAZINE! MAGAZINE!" to which our non wilco obsessed engineer replied... "no. mellotron. mellotron."

Great info...thanks for knowing it!

I wonder if they owed any royalties for sampling a product demo.

• 4 weeks later...

josh rouse uses the exact same demo music slightly slowed down at the start of a song on his latest bedroom sessions ep . wait till y'all hear it. it's kind of freaky. wonder if he had heard magazine previously as it's kind of obscure?

http://www.joshrouse.com/new/home.html?account_id=19846

it's called lemon tree i believe. if you scroll down the page you can listen to it.

http://www.myspace.com/joshrouse

this guy uses it for the song "lemon tree." it's a little slower than the one wilco uses though

This was mentioned 2 posts earlier ;).

This was mentioned 2 posts earlier ;).

haha my fault. i actually bookmarked it a few weeks ago just to post it here, but didn't want to make a new thread on it. i guess i should read before i post

my friend showed me this program that Verizon phones have ... if you put the phone up to the speaker while a song is playing it identifies it. i put it up to my speaker while "a magazine called sunset" came on, and it gave me "Cha Love" by Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra on the album Moods and Grooves.

http://www.ubiquityrecords.com/mpeg/ur169_06.mp3

my friend showed me this program that Verizon phones have ... if you put the phone up to the speaker while a song is playing it identifies it. i put it up to my speaker while "a magazine called sunset" came on, and it gave me "Cha Love" by Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra on the album Moods and Grooves.

http://www.ubiquityrecords.com/mpeg/ur169_06.mp3

haha, that's great!
  • 1 month later...