I want to get into this laddy meself and need some pointers. I figure that $8.99 for GP/Grievous Angel on Amazon MP3 is a good starting point, but where to go from there? I did a little bit of research on my own, and I've heard about FBB's The Gilded Palace of Sin and the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo...but that's about it.

Thanks!

And if you already a big fan of the fellow yourself that's cool.

You have it nailed. Gilded Palace, Sweetheart and the two solo albums are the best place to start. International Submarine Band is also worth getting. Gram didn't live long so his body of work is rather slim.

LouieB

Those live sets that came out last Fall from the Avalon Ballroom April '69 (where the Burritos opened for the Dead) are pretty fine, if you don't mind the somewhat muddy sound quality. I've given them numerous spins and felt no pain.

As Lou said, there's just not a ton of stuff by GP out there - but regarding the 'et al' part of your thread title I can't say enough about the early NRPS records. The first LP in particular is one of my very favorite records. Check 'em out if you haven't already. :thumbup

Safe at Home : International Submarine Band (1968)

Sweetheart of the Rodeo : The Byrds (1968)

The Gilded Palace of Sin : Flying Burrito Brothers (1969)

Burrito Deluxe : Flying Burrito Brothers (1970)

GP : Gram Parsons (1973)

Grievous Angel : Gram Parsons (1974)

Sleepless Nights: Gram Parsons & the Flying Burrito Brothers (1976)

Early Years (1963

it might pay to buy the complete reprise sessions instead of the gp/grievous angel cd, just because you get all that plus a lot more - and i assume the sound is better, although i personally don't have it.
I have it and it sounds fine, I guess. No better or worse than the originals, plus you get a bunch of out-takes that sound sound pretty much like the master takes. So yea, I think it is worth the extra money (used copies are available I am sure.)

The live set with the Grievous Angels is also good. Frankly searching out every last outtake is pretty much for fans only.

LouieB

I love Sweetheart of the Rodeo and have always meant to check out more Gram Parsons. I know he had a profound effect on Emmylou Harris, one of my favorite female singers, and was the inspiration for one of my favorite songs, Boulder to Birmingham.

He had more than a profound effect on Emmylou; without Gram there would be no Emmylou, who was a folksinger (and put out a gawd awful album as such). (Actually the rest of the FFB found her first, but he ended up hiring her.) Her backup singing with him on the other hand, may have been what kept him in one piece for as long as he was. In the end I think she pretty much kept him on track musically. Theirs was a complex relationship, but the details of it Emmylou has never discussed. Perhaps some day she will. The live set A-man has on his list of the Grievous Angels highlights her contributions to his group the best.

LouieB

I highly recommend the documentary "Grievous Angel", a great overview of Gram.

I highly recommend the documentary "Grievous Angel", a great overview of Gram.
Completely agree. Frankly it is the best way to get Gram's life and work in total perspective. Good job by the filmmakers.

LouieB

• 5 months later...

Well, in addition to GP/Grevious Angel, Sweetheart of the Rodeo and Gilded Palace of Sin, I've got Warm Evenings, Pale Mornings, Bottled Blues: 1963-1973, which I like a lot. It pretty much covers his entire career of "hits" on one record.