Chris Martin shows at least some honesty

Coldplay: "We'll Try and Copy Anyone"

Today 7:05 PM PDT

Whoops.

Just as his band is accused of ripping off someone else's song, Coldplay's Chris Martin says in an interview that he and his bandmates are "the world's worst

I don't think reinterpretating (is that a word?) people's work that came before you is that bad of a thing, there's a strong tradition of that in folk music, why not rock? Just as long as they are honest about it and don't directly steal one particular song.

Rule 1: It has to not suck. Coldplay, in my personal opinion, has a hard time with that.

They took the good parts of other people's songs and added "The Coldplay Effect" to 'em which could be reinterpreted as "made them boring as shit."

But yet they merit three threads here - interesting. I read somewhere that they sold 300,000 copies of their new album last week. I don't think I have ever heard a Coldplay song.

Really? I haven't heard anything from the new album but I"m almost positive that they are trying to be U2.

that performance owes a lot of elements to Arcade Fire, whom Chris has publicly often called "the best band in the world" over the last 2 years. Chris stole his current stage presence/persona from Bono, so you're right that they do wanna be U2 in many ways as well.

also:

acoldplay_0616.jpg

vs.

57arcade_fire_l1.jpg

that performance owes a lot of elements to Arcade Fire, whom Chris has publicly often called "the best band in the world" over the last 2 years. Chris stole his current stage presence/persona from Bono, so you're right that they do wanna be U2 in many ways as well.

also:

acoldplay_0616.jpg

vs.

57arcade_fire_l1.jpg

Vs.

great_escape_july_4th_2.jpg

But yet they merit three threads here - interesting. I read somewhere that they sold 300,000 copies of their new album last week. I don't think I have ever heard a Coldplay song.

I heard U2 a song on a comercial the other day. It was one I had never heard before, I didn't think much of it at the time, rather benign, uninteresting. My daughter told me she wanted it on her ipod. Of course she was assuming I knew the song etc... I did not. I searched U2 and found nothing new. Asking for help she came up and punched up Coldplay. Vocals, everything sounded like a U@ gone bad type of song. Linkin Park has a U2 type song also.

My son was learning a song on bass and I thought it was With or Without you. He let me know that it was Shadow of the Day by Linkin park. I guess there is money to be made in copying the established acts out there.

True the true. Prior to him lauding Arcade Fire he was one of the Flaming Lips most vocal fans. But their onstage influence on Coldplay never really rubbed off.

Oh hang on.

2240.jpg Strobe? Check. Megaphone? Check?

and

coyne1.jpg

and have a look at the Fix You video at around the 2:45 mark and compare to the regular Coyne trick of:

coyne2.jpg

Oh, and I think Chris Martin is the worst dancer ever and should be have his feet sown together for crimes against rhythm.

Had two listens to Viva La Vida today - subject change - and it's reasonable. The weakest link on the whole album is Chris Martin though, both lyrically and in his vocal performance. Some of the lyrics are downright shocking, 'Lost' and '42' being the worst offenders that I can think of off the top of my head. Vocally, his voice is just too anemic when compared to the music - it needs to spirited, menacing, passionate but it's the equivalent of warm milk: just mildly comforting.

I heard U2 a song on a comercial the other day. It was one I had never heard before, I didn't think much of it at the time, rather benign, uninteresting. My daughter told me she wanted it on her ipod. Of course she was assuming I knew the song etc... I did not. I searched U2 and found nothing new. Asking for help she came up and punched up Coldplay. Vocals, everything sounded like a U@ gone bad type of song. Linkin Park has a U2 type song also.

My son was learning a song on bass and I thought it was With or Without you. He let me know that it was Shadow of the Day by Linkin park. I guess there is money to be made in copying the established acts out there.

I'm sorry: you need a hug.

*hug

I haven't heard anything off the new Coldplay album except that song on the iTunes commercial. I don't think Chris Martin could've been trying to imitate Bono and the Edge any more in that commercial. It was painful. The "does Coldplay want to be U2?" threads over on the U2 board have been hilarious, though.

I haven't heard anything off the new Coldplay album except that song on the iTunes commercial. I don't think Chris Martin could've been trying to imitate Bono and the Edge any more in that commercial. It was painful. The "does Coldplay want to be U2?" threads over on the U2 board have been hilarious, though.

OMG. I heard that snippet and I could not believe how crappy it sounded. Like dishwater hit with a Boring Ray.

Normally, I would be content to leave Coldplay alone. But they are so heavily marketed and foisted upon all comers at every turn that I take them as a personal affront, like when someone walks into your yard, pulls down their pants and takes a shit on your lawn. Actually, that would be a lot more interesting than a Coldplay album.

OMG. I heard that snippet and I could not believe how crappy it sounded. Like dishwater hit with a Boring Ray.

Normally, I would be content to leave Coldplay alone. But they are so heavily marketed and foisted upon all comers at every turn that I take them as a personal affront, like when someone walks into your yard, pulls down their pants and takes a shit on your lawn. Actually, that would be a lot more interesting than a Coldplay album.

all that after :30? hell bjorn, you should write reviews for blender magazine.

all that after :30? hell bjorn, you should write reviews for blender magazine.

Does it get better after those 30 seconds? I suppose it's possible, but it has been my experience that if I don't like a song within that time frame, it's hard to reverse my opinion. It's OK, though. I am reasonably sure Chris Martin does not give one shit about what I think of his band and if he does, Gwyneth can give him a hug.

tough crowd.

I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay, but I feel with all this hate, someone should defend them.

Solace, I think you are overblowing the arcade fire comparisons. The entire album doesn't sound like Arcade Fire at all (I would say I heard some influence on the end of 42 and the beginning of the following song) and Arcade Fire wasn't the first band to use strings and pound big drums on stage, or hold a horn in a photo.

I completely buy that they are trying to be like U2 and its obvious chris martin is emulating Bono's stage presence (which is painful to watch). I like listening to the new album, not watching it

But, I think the music on this album is more diverse and more interesting than anything this band has done before. And it doesn't seem like they are trying to rip off anyone. They got a great producer, they wanted to branch out, and they did. Nothing wrong with having inspiration from others- every band in the worlds listens to great records and finds something in them they want to try to recreate to some extent. Ask Jeff Tweedy, ask Bob Dylan, ask Thom Yorke, etc, etc.

i didn't say the music sounds like Arcade Fire at all, just that Chris has slobbered all over AF in the recent past and has obviously influenced him/the band

Coldplay are a fine band, just boring.

when there's bands like Doves and Elbow, i have no need to listen to Coldplay really. that and i've never been that big of a fan of Chris's voice. 2nd record was quite good tho.