Innocent When You Dream

Lie to Me

Chocolate Jesus

Make It Rain

(encores)

Down in the Hole

God's Away On Business

Time

Goody goody gumdrops! I can't wait til this circus rolls through the South.

How looks our old friend?

Please,give us a little report,I never see him,and I have tickets for his next concerts in Spain :dancing

Hi there... I wasn't at the show, myself.

But you may find more reviews, comments, etc. at the eyeball kid blog or through the Raindogs list, if you're so inclined.

cheers,

Kevin

waits_orpheum.jpg

Review from AzCentral.com

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/article...17tomwaits.html

Tom Waits performs in front of sold-out crowd

by Michael Senft - Jun. 17, 2008 11:12 PM

The Arizona Republic

Tom Waits put the "P" in "PEHDTSCHJMBA" on Tuesday night as he kicked off his Glitter and Doom Tour before a sold-out crowd at the Orpheum Theatre. It was the first Valley appearance in over 30 years from the eccentric singer-songwriter, who returns for a second show on Wednesday. And in case you were wondering, PEHDTSCHJMBA is an acronym of all the cities he is stopping at on this rare tour.

Waits, 58, even acknowledged how long it has been since his last visit, joking:

"Does Van Buren still have all those affordable hotels? That's the part of town I remember."

Otherwise he didn't dwell in the past too much during the two-hour show.

Describing the concert is difficult - the band, which included Waits' son Casey on drums, was loose and fluid while swapping instruments, handling the tricky time changes and even trickier stage cues from Waits.

But the center of attention was clearly Waits. Indeed at many points the show seemed less about the music than his outrageous acting. One of the most theatrical "singers" in rock music, he mugged and mimed his way through the songs, accentuating his tortured singing with the persona of a circus ringleader or a mad televangelist.

And with stage props. He performed much of the set standing on a wooden riser which was coated with some sort of powder. As he stomped his feet to the beat, clouds of dust would rise. During Eyeball Kid, from his 1999 comeback album The Mule Variations, he donned a bowler hat covered with mirrors, turning himself into a human disco ball. The stage set, a sort-of junkyard of antique loudspeakers, only accentuated the trash-can sound of the band and the apocalyptic feel of the show.

He also pushed his vocal cords to the limit, taking his voice from a whispered falsetto to a terrifying growl from one word to another. He even pulled out a bullhorn for his ode to the immaculate confection, Chocolate Jesus.

The bulk of the set was drawn from Waits' more recent albums, especially The Mule Variations. He did give longtime fans a special treat with mixed-up rearrangements of older songs, like the gospel rave-up Jesus Gonna Be Here, from the 1992 album Bone Machine, which was transformed into a funky shuffle, and Murder in the Red Barn, a blues number also from Bone Machine, that was given a jazzy twist.

The emotional highlight of the show, however, was when he dismissed the band and sat down at the piano for a handful of older tunes accompanied only by bassist Seth Ford Young. The mood turned conversational, with Waits joking with the hecklers in the crowd. His Bohemian-barfly persona returned as he delved deep into his catalog for such classics from the '70s as Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis and Invitation to the Blues. The mood was spoiled a little by a security guard, who was using his walkie-talkie during Christmas Card, but Waits quickly silenced him before leading the crowd in a singalong version of the stark, emotional Innocent When You Dream.

After the piano interlude ended, Waits strapped on a guitar for the rockabilly rave-up Lie to Me and the set closing stomper Make It Rain, from the 2004 album Real Gone.

He returned for a three-song encore that encapsulated the entire concert. Way Down in the Hole, from 1987's Frank's Wild Years, (and recently heard as the theme song for HBO's prison drama, The Wire) was performed as a full-fledged gospel rave-up. God's Away on Business, from the stage play soundtrack Blood Money was all German dancehall bluster, with Waits mugging and grinning through lyrics like "I'd sell your heart to the junkman baby for a buck, for a buck." And the tender ballad Time from Waits' 1985 masterpiece Rain Dogs, brought the show to an emotional close, with him coming as close to singing as he did at any point during the show, strumming gently on an acoustic guitar while crooning the chorus:

"It's time, time, time, that you love."

Odds are that Waits won't return to the Valley any time soon, so that echoing chorus will have to serve.

Unless you are lucky to have tickets for Wednesday's show.

Setlist:

• Lucinda

• Hoist That Rag

• Come on Up to the House

• Jesus Gonna Be Here

• November

• Black Market Baby

• Rain Dogs

• Trampled Rose

• Going Out West

• Murder in the Red Barn

• Cemetary Polka

• Anywhere I Lay My Head

• Get Behind the Mule

• Eyeball Kid

• Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

• Picture in a Frame

• Invitation to the Blues

• Innocent When You Dream

• Chocolate Jesus

• Make It Rain

Encore:

• Way Down in the Hole

• God's Away on Business

• Time

Went to both shows and both were incredible. I've waited 10 years to see him and seeing him two days in a row definitely made up for the wait. I thought his playing "Falling Down" yesterday might have been in response to the Scarlett single out now, but maybe not. Fans of the pre-Swordfish records might be disappointed as he tends to gravitate more towards the later portion of his career, but either way, his shows are fantastic.

The St. Louis show. And Paul if your reading PM me your cell#. If you need any help from airport and back let me know. Lets do dinner man!

• 2 weeks later...

Knoxville was one for the record books.

Lucinda/Ain't Goin' Down to the Well

Way Down in the Hole

Falling Down

Hang Down Your Head

Chocolate Jesus

God's Away on Business

Get Behind the Mule

Metropolitan Glide

Trampled Rose

Cold Cold Ground

The Part You Throw Away

Black Market Baby

Rain Dogs/Russian Dance

On the Nickel

Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis

You Can Never Hold Back Spring

Lucky Day

Innocent When You Dream

9th and Hennepin

Lie to Me

Jesus Gonna Be Here

House Where Nobody Lives

Eyeball Kid

Make It Rain

Fannin Street

Come on up to the House

I'm still processing the show in my head, but this was by many accounts, the best of the tour so far. I even heard it from Tom's tour manager's own mouth that it was one of the best performances he'd ever seen... and he's been with him since 1987.

Luke, I owe you a PM. Don't fret.

Kevin

Love that setlist! My friends and I just caught him in Columbus at the Ohio Theater (one of the most beautiful venues I've ever seen) from 5th row Saturday night. Just phenomenal. I'm still humming "Innocent When You Dream" in my head and the visions of dustclouds and the mirrorhat still prominent in my mind's eye.

The St. Louis show. And Paul if your reading PM me your cell#. If you need any help from airport and back let me know. Lets do dinner man!

Sorry I missed you, man. Check yr PMs. :(

i went to the Tulsa show last week and was blown away... being on the front row didn't hurt, either! i'm not sure i've ever seen a frontman like him before - he commanded all your attention at all times. great band, too - they were watching him like a hawk... he's a pretty good bandleader too - it was interesting to watch the interaction between everyone... that crowd was rowdy, though - you wouldve thought it was a saturday night Wilco show at Cain's!

i went to the Tulsa show last week and ... that crowd was rowdy, though - you wouldve thought it was a saturday night Wilco show at Cain's!

That is funny, because I expected the same Saturday night in Columbus, but I was flat-out wrong. I have never experienced such rapt and silent attention to a musician on stage on a Saturday night sold out show. Ever. You could hear a pin drop. Loved it!

• 2 weeks later...