How to get rid of the awesome bar in Firefox 3

For those who do not want it.

Firefox add-ons

Oldbar 1.2

I have never really messed with add-ons - but, I am thinking of getting Adblock 0.5.3.043.

I have used nothing but Firefox for several years now. I only use IE when I have to - which is at work or some sort of deal like that.

I was happy to see that my bookmarks did not disappear this time - they have in the past - when I upgraded.

Edited by Analogman

I love it. It seems alot faster with page loading, and almost all the add-ons I use are already compatible. Uses less CPU resources as well. I have been using Firefox for a long time and it just keeps getting better.

I've been visiting family for a few weeks and have been using a computer that has only IE on it. I miss my Firefox. I'm looking forward to seeing the new release, though I may not download it until I get my new computer in late July or early August. I'm becoming one of the go-to people in my department for technology, and since our campus is switching over to a new online course delivery program this year, I need to make sure it plays well with the new version of Firefox before classes start.

Using it on a Mac and I like it. My only problem is when I try to open my e-mail from MSN Messenger, it'll open a new tab in FireFox that doesn't do anything, so then I have to go in manually... booo-urns.

I love it. It seems alot faster with page loading, and almost all the add-ons I use are already compatible. Uses less CPU resources as well. I have been using Firefox for a long time and it just keeps getting better.

QFT. Firefox rules.

I love it. the awesome bar makes browsing so much easier too. BTW on my laptop with vista i've experienced no issues.

Add-ons to use:

Adblock and filterset.g updater: I never see an ad more than once. If that.

Foxmarks: sync bookmarks on all computers (works great for going from work to home to my laptop), and even if you don't have foxmarks on a computer, you could go to my.foxmarks.com and get all your bookmarks

foxgestures: Whenever I use a computer that only has ie or has ff but no gestures, I go through gesture withdrawal, draggin my mouse in directions expecting to go home, or to open a new tab.

I love it. the awesome bar makes browsing so much easier too. BTW on my laptop with vista i've experienced no issues.

Add-ons to use:

Adblock and filterset.g updater: I never see an ad more than once. If that.

Foxmarks: sync bookmarks on all computers (works great for going from work to home to my laptop), and even if you don't have foxmarks on a computer, you could go to my.foxmarks.com and get all your bookmarks

foxgestures: Whenever I use a computer that only has ie or has ff but no gestures, I go through gesture withdrawal, draggin my mouse in directions expecting to go home, or to open a new tab.

Downloaded it today. Seems to be working fine so far. Thanks for the tips on the add-ons. I esp. like the foxmarks idea.

thanks everybody. if only 1 or 2 posts, i'd be afraid to give it a shot, but it sounds okay to do. i've been using firefox for a couple of years now and haven't once considered going back to i.e. or safari. firefox has been a big cut above all others since i first discovered it.

why didn't it just appear as a new software update? (i have an imac.) i seem to remember it did before, but maybe this is a whole new ballgame.

if all the bookmarks disappeared, i'd have a coronary. they're longtime bookmarks. but analogman's post gives confidence.

will try it now.

thanks everybody. if only 1 or 2 posts, i'd be afraid to give it a shot, but it sounds okay to do. i've been using firefox for a couple of years now and haven't once considered going back to i.e. or safari. firefox has been a big cut above all others since i first discovered it.

why didn't it just appear as a new software update? (i have an imac.) i seem to remember it did before, but maybe this is a whole new ballgame.

if all the bookmarks disappeared, i'd have a coronary. they're longtime bookmarks. but analogman's post gives confidence.

will try it now.

I had no problem at all with it importing my old bookmarks. If you'd like to be double safe you can export your bookmarks as an html file first from the old firefox. But on all 3 machines for me it updated them fine and kept them in the folders.

I love Firefox 3, though it'll take me some time to get used to this "awesome bar" thing. I don't like it right now, but I'm willing to work with it for a while and try to see why people think it's so great.

Part of my issue with it is the weird(?) way I used the address bar previously. I liked that it kept track of URLs I'd typed into that bar in roughly chronological order, so I could stash certain sites almost like bookmarks without actually bookmarking them. That same list came up every time, and I'd zoom down it with the mouse pointer to get to certain sites that I look in on occasionally. Now I can't do that. I wish we at least had been given the option to have the address bar function the same way it did before, but even with the "oldbar" add-on it's different behavior that I don't want.

Meh. Like I said, I'll work with it and see if I can grow to like it.

Also I'm having this issue currently (originally posted in Umm...):

Firefox / Yahoo Mail users: anyone having trouble using Yahoo Mail right now with Firefox? It won't let me start a new message or reply to an old one. Sometimes I can't even read old messages.

I'm on Firefox 3, using the "new" Yahoo Mail.

I'm guessing this issue is on the Yahoo Mail end, but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this. It works fine in the "classic" Yahoo Mail or on Internet Explorer (which I refuse to use except when troubleshooting a rare Firefox issue).

I use the search bar (in the upper right) quite a bit, but would often like for my searches to open up in new tabs. I can't find a way to do that. Any know if you can?

Type about:config into the address bar, and then put the following into the filter box: browser.search.openintab. Double-click the value to change it to true.

Anybody else seen this Easter Egg? -- type about:robots and see where it takes you. It's cute.

My ff actually crashed once today and I didn't really think anything of it until I saw this thread. If it does it again, I might have to decide I have issues with 3 and come back here to complain. I dig the awesome bar and you can tag your bookmarks!

I'm still having the aforementioned issues with Yahoo Mail. Anyone else?

I think it's only happening on my work PC, though. Last night at home it was fine.

My work PC was fine yesterday (and ever since I upgraded to FF3) until mid-morning, when suddenly it stopped cooperating with Yahoo Mail. I don't know what to do (aside from switching back to the "classic" version, which I've done).

One thing I have noticed is that WMP 11 skips sometimes while browsing. This started happening since I started using FF 3. Has anyone else had issues with Windows Media Player while browsing? I am not sure if this is a Media Player or Firefox issue.

One thing I have noticed is that WMP 11 skips sometimes while browsing. This started happening since I started using FF 3. Has anyone else had issues with Windows Media Player while browsing? I am not sure if this is a Media Player or Firefox issue.

I couldn't get an audio file from borders.com to play on WMP 11 while using FF 3. I thought it might be an issue w/ Borders because they've redone their Web site. Maybe it's a Firefox issue.

Mozilla claims Guinness Record for downloads

Thu Jul 3, 3:19 AM ET

(Reuters) - Mozilla, developer of open-source Web browser Firefox, said on Wednesday it set a new Guinness World Record for the largest number of software downloads in 24 hours.

Over 8 million people downloaded Firefox 3 in the period following its official launch, the company said in a statement.

Key rivals to Firefox are market leader Microsoft's (MSFT.O) Internet Explorer and Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) Safari browser.

Mozilla is in a battle with Microsoft, which unveiled an experimental version of its Internet Explorer 8 in Las Vegas in April and has been looking to expand its presence on the Web.

Firefox 3's additions boost security and allow users to run Web sites when they are not connected to the Internet.