Now Playing: July, 2008

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51Y3JTFdmgL._SL500_AA240_.jpg61ZXD462XPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg515AXM1XBPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

61k6wCMcb2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg51HqFADJrrL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Charlie Parker - Jazz Masters 15

Flatt & Scruggs - Songs Of the Famous Carter Family

Mekons - Rock 'n' Roll

The Byrds - Sweetheart Of the Radio

Love - Love

okkervil_river-the_stand_ins.jpg

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to the Okkervil leak. :dancing

Now, I admit to being a total fangirl, but good god I am in love with this band. I'd be hard-pressed to find any other artist that can consistently put out tasty tasty tunes like the OR. I'm on track #4 on my first listen, and it's amazing. So far I'd say that as clever lyrics go, Singer Songwriter is on par with Plus Ones... which is to say, brilliant. :thumbup

definitely WAY way better than the Stage Names... that's for sure

which wasn't a BAD album, but prolly close to my least fave OR record

I know that you and I have some fundamental disagreements regarding OR... OK, Sheff's voice to be precise, but I loved The Stage Names to be sure, it was one of my tops of last year. And tonight I can't stop listenening to The Stand-Ins... which incidentally is just about where I was at a year or so ago with The Stage Names... :lol

I cannot find The Stand Ins anywhere. Little help?

Working on it... check for PM soon.

I know that you and I have some fundamental disagreements regarding OR... OK, Sheff's voice to be precise, but I loved The Stage Names to be sure, it was one of my tops of last year. And tonight I can't stop listenening to The Stand-Ins... which incidentally is just about where I was at a year or so ago with The Stage Names... :lol

Completely with you on Stage Names...That is definitely the one that I come back to most often followed closely by Black Sheep Boy. I've only listened to about 1/2 of the new one but I like what I hear. I haven't had a chance to see him live as of yet. Definitely need to check this out.

yeah, i just can't take overly afflicted and wrought vocals... a big reason why i hated Conor Oberst until Wide Awake/Digital Ash, when he finally started to learn how to sing rather than caterwaul.

Sheff's voice is so much better and more powerful live than on record, which has always been my issue w/ OR's records (as much as i like them)