Now Playing: July, 2008

Weird. A friend just sent me an IM saying he'd picked this up. How is it? I have Emotionalism and I think it's alright, but I can't get past lyrics like "Love writes a letter and sends it to hate." :no

it's not as great as the first Gleam EP, but still pretty awesome.

Emotionalism is decent, but far from my favorite full length of theirs. Mignonette is my favorite easily, then A Carolina Jubilee and Country Was.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird. A friend just sent me an IM saying he'd picked this up. How is it? I have Emotionalism and I think it's alright, but I can't get past lyrics like "Love writes a letter and sends it to hate." :no

it's not as great as the first Gleam EP, but still pretty awesome.

Emotionalism is decent, but far from my favorite full length of theirs. Mignonette is my favorite easily, then A Carolina Jubilee and Country Was.

Agreed - I still prefer the first Gleam, but this sounds great so far.

I love the Avetts' lyrics...so earnest and sweet and clever (a lot of the time)! Listen to Solace - you need to: 1) hear more than just Emotionalism (even though I love that one too) and 2) see them live ASAP!!

see them live ASAP!!

Telluride Bluegrass last year was my first exposure to them. It made me get Emotionalism. I'll pick up the the first Gleam... thanks for the rec! You couldn't possibly like those lyrics I posted though, right? I mean I even posted earlier today about how music tastes can vary wildly but I can't imagine a defense of those lyrics. And yes, I agree they aren't all that bad.

You couldn't possibly like those lyrics I posted though, right? I mean I even posted earlier today about how music tastes can vary wildly but I can't imagine a defense of those lyrics. And yes, I agree they aren't all that bad.

I do actually like The Ballad of Love and Hate. :blush I'm a total softie, though. :P

Telluride Bluegrass last year was my first exposure to them. It made me get Emotionalism. I'll pick up the the first Gleam... thanks for the rec! You couldn't possibly like those lyrics I posted though, right? I mean I even posted earlier today about how music tastes can vary wildly but I can't imagine a defense of those lyrics. And yes, I agree they aren't all that bad.

Taking the lyrics out of the context of the song doesn't work in this case.

I love these guys. One of my favorite bands of this decade.

For those that haven't seen them, I absolutely echo the sentiments. I can't wait to see these guys again.

416SXM9XEML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

We were standing

Standing by peaceful waters...