HR Derby 2008  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the HR Derby Contest?

• Lance Berkman, Astros
    • Ryan Braun, Brewers
    • Chase Utley, Phillies
    • Dan Uggla, Marlins
    • Grady Sizemore, Indians
    • Josh Hamilton, Rangers
    • Evan Longoria, Rays
    • Justin Morneau, Twins

I am glad no Mets are in this thing. Participating in '06's messed up Wright's home run stroke for the rest of the year.

There should be an option for "I couldn't possibly be bothered to give a shit."

One of the only things in major team sports that interests me less is the NBA slam dunk competition.

Oh, and the Pro Bowl.

I don't get how anyone can hate the HR Derby. Even Chris Berman is slightly bearable during it's duration. It's nice to see athletes having fun.

Same with the dunk contest. It's fun.

Some people really seem to hate fun in sports...

Sizemore. Even though his first name gives me the willies.

Lefties will be favored, right?

I don't get how anyone can hate the HR Derby. Even Chris Berman is slightly bearable during it's duration. It's nice to see athletes having fun.

I'm with you in that the HR Derby is fun to watch. I disagree with the Berman comment, though. It's the one time in the year that I find him at his most annoying. Enough with the clever (read: inane) name adjustments. And how many times will he make references to the ball traveling to White Plains or Utica or wherever?

I really like the HR Derby and the Dunk contests too along with the all-star games.

The only thing I have little interest in is the Pro Bowl although I watch the NFL.

Guest Jules
The games themselves are mostly boring, to be honest.

Yeah, except tomorrow's game is pretty important. I hate the home-field advantage rule, but as a Cubs fan, I will be rooting for the NL. Home field advantage has been pretty important this year for a lot of teams.

I am glad no Mets are in this thing. Participating in '06's messed up Wright's home run stroke for the rest of the year.

wow- there must have been a home run derby with the entire Mets team early last September!

:stunned :stunned :stunned

Didn't Berman once do a SportsCenter broadcast where he dropped a bunch of Dylan titles into the update because it was the Bob's birthday. I remember reading/ seeing something about this, but could not confirm on a quick trip 'round the net.

Plus he's a big proponent of stocking up on Tylenol when he has to broadcast Toronto Blue Jays home games..... i imagine, glandular deficiencies aside, Mr. Berman might be a fun guy to hang with.....

ASG line ups:

National League:

1. Hanley Ramirez, Florida, ss

2. Chase Utley, Philadelphia, 2b

3. Lance Berkman, Houston, 1b

4. Albert Pujols, St. Louis, dh

5. Chipper Jones, Atlanta, 3b

6. Matt Holliday, Colorado, rf

7. Ryan Braun, Milwaukee, lf

8. Kosuke Fukudome, Chicago, cf

9. Geovany Soto, Chicago, c

P: Ben Sheets, Milwaukee, rhp

American League:

1. Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle, rf

2. Derek Jeter, New York, ss

3. Josh Hamilton, Texas, cf

4. Alex Rodriguez, New York, 3b

5. Manny Ramirez, Boston, lf

6. Milton Bradley, Texas, dh

7. Kevin Youkilis, Boston, 1b

8. Joe Mauer, Minnesota, c

9. Dustin Pedroia, Boston, 2b

P: Cliff Lee, Cleveland, lhp

I don't get how anyone can hate the HR Derby.

Because it's boring?

Even Chris Berman is slightly bearable during it's duration.

Categorically false.

It's nice to see athletes having fun.

Maybe. I'd rather see them playing a real game. And by that I mean, one that counts in the standings.

It's ten times more boring than the home run derby, and has been for several years.

The fact that I don't enjoy stupid exhibition contests means I don't enjoy fun in sports? Hmm.

I think you meant to say "Some people really seem to hate meaningless crap in sports."

So I'm a bad sports fan. I get it.

I lean more to cryptique on this topic. I don't know, but when the game in the NBA became about dunking, it lost a lot of it's appeal to me. Same with baseball. Baseball continues to become more and more about the home run. I dont fault either sport -- for the casual fan, the dunk and the home run are the most exciting and easily identifiable.

But when dunks begin to replace good passing, smart sets, team play, etc., I think it takes away from the game. And the hulabaloo around dunks and crowds incentivizes players to practice their windmill dunks instead of their free throws. And then your team loses a game in the regular season because they went 12-26 from the free throw line.

Same with homers, although I know that an argument can be made that bunts and sacrifices and grounding out to 2nd to get the guy over to 3rd are giving away outs and actually take away from your team's chances to score. But I am not yet convinced, and to me, when a guy doesn't shorten up with 2 strikes and strikes out instead of getting the guy over, I can't help but think that the HR mindset is to blame for it. And the sexy HR derby doesn't help.

Yes, I am overthinking this, but to me, going the other way against the shift, or the suicide squeeze, or scoring a run without a hit (walk, SB, groundout, Sac Fly). etc. are just as exciting as any home run. I am a dork. :lol

And, I voted for Hamilton.

I would argue small ball (stolen bases, sacrifices, etc.) is the more exciting brand of baseball to watch, but it's not good baseball. It is the reason, in my opinion, that the American league woops the National leagues ass year in and year out. They are playing a more efficient brand of baseball.

I would argue small ball (stolen bases, sacrifices, etc.) is the more exciting brand of baseball to watch, but it's not good baseball. It is the reason, in my opinion, that the American league woops the National leagues ass year in and year out. They are playing a more efficient brand of baseball.

I am not looking to turn this thread into a "small ball" vs "wait for 3 run HR" thread, but nothing makes me happier than a guy who just puts the bat on the ball the other way against the shift. Even if he is giving up the chance at a HR. Yes, I am including you Carlos Delgado.

And let's be honest bobbob -- the AL woops the NL because it's got better players.