Mexican citizen to be put to death

Been having a pretty good discussion about this on another board (where there are a lot of conservatives), so I'm interested in seeing the take from this place.

Politicians worry about the impact on Americans arrested in foreign countries should Texas execute Jose Medellin.

"Texas. It's like a whole other country."

Coined to promote tourism, that wry verbal wink at the state's mythic image has assumed a literal meaning as Texas finds itself in defiance of the United Nations, the Organization of American States and national leaders in its planned Tuesday execution of Mexican citizen Jose Medellin.

Unless the U.S. Supreme Court or Gov. Rick Perry acts in his favor, Medellin, 33, will die for the 1993 rape-strangulation of two teenage Houston girls, Jennifer Ertman and Elizabeth Pe

Texas should absolutely abide by the world court's ruling. But there's no doubt of Medellin's guilt, and I don't really have a problem with Texas applying its laws to anyone who commits a crime there. He was a willing participant in the rape and murder of two girls, and brushed it aside as an "adolescent choice." I don't have any sympathy and he deserves his sentence, but Texas failing to provide for his consular rights is another blow the the US's international credibility.

That's mostly where I stand on this. The guy is guilty as anyone can be, but the arrogance the state is showing in this case is appalling. Basically, Texas feels it is independent of both US and International law.

That's mostly where I stand on this. The guy is guilty as anyone can be, but the arrogance the state is showing in this case is appalling. Basically, Texas feels it is independent of both US and International law.

Texas was its own country once, like California. I take it the residents of the Lone Star State have never quite forgotten that.

"Outside of Texas this is a huge diplomatic misstep," said Columbia Law School professor Sarah Cleveland. " ... Unfortunately, I doubt that the international community is likely to brush this off as simply the actions of Texas. In the international community (and under all U.S. treaty obligations) the United States is responsible for Texas' actions."

This is the part I'm concerned about. Texas can do what they want with their state laws, but this is an international situation. We negotiate treaties with other nations to protect our people, so we should be able to hold up our side.

Of course, Rep. Ted Poe (aka "The Voice Of Reason") put his two cents worth on the subject on Lou Dobbs Tonight.

:barf

Please vote this guy out in November - please.

Of course, Rep. Ted Poe (aka "The Voice Of Reason") put his two cents worth on the subject on Lou Dobbs Tonight.

:barf

Please vote this guy out in November - please.

What, was he like, "Kill him twice, then kill 300 random Mexicans"?

What, was he like, "Kill him twice, then kill 300 random Mexicans"?

:lol You sound like you're familiar with the political stylings of Mr. Poe. I was in and out of the room while this tirade was going on, but I swear I heard him advocating a public stoning - not the fun kind. :stunned

He woulda flipped if he was with me at the store the other night when the Mexican got arrested after he fondled some blonde girl.

Assuming Mr. Poe is a law and order type, my guess, is that he will demand that those involved in the execution turn themselves in to the international court and take responsibility for their actions.

But probably not, he

did you ever see the chicks in vermont?

I am speechless.

I can't believe this.

You guys are making light of rape and murder?

Seriously?

I can't believe that you guys are stooping to such a level for some internet guffaws. What's next? Holocaust Jokes? Some good ethnic cleansing humor?

Unbelievable.

I am speechless.

I can't believe this.

You guys are making light of rape and murder?

Seriously?

I can't believe that you guys are stooping to such a level for some internet guffaws. What's next? Holocaust Jokes? Some good ethnic cleansing humor?

Unbelievable.

I think we already did the ethnic cleansing jokes a few years back. Next up, if my dry erase board is correct, black folks.

Those little fuckers will get theirs one day, especially if they Mexican.

Those little fuckers will get theirs one day, especially if they Mexican.

Ok and so midgets are next, but then, afterwards, I say we move on to white heteros. Those sons a bitches deserve it every bit as much as the midgets.