Charleston 8-7-08

I really enjoyed the show. It was a pretty solid setlist. The only thing was that we didn't get anything off of AM. I would have liked to hear a couple of those tunes (Too Far Apart, Box Full of Letters, or It's Just that Simple, That's not the Issue would have made my night!), but I can't complain too much.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to agree with you all about the crowds behavior , I live here in Charleston and thought the crowd was very disrespectful of the band and a bit tipsy. The guy yelling about the sound should of been thrown . That was unreal ! I was also disappointed them not playing anything from am I would of loved passender side, cassino queen, box of letters, its not that simple..

Company in my back was solid , impossible germany was incredible. Thought for sure we would get hummingbird or pkb. Still had a great time we were lucky to get tickets we didnt get them the first time around. :

The wife and I highly enjoyed the show. Yeah, I think the guy with the SNL shirt (sitting right next to us on the front row) pissed Jeff off slightly, but I think Jeff knew he was just joking around.. Especially when he appeared to be a super fan, dancing and singing to every song. The drunk guy that told the band to turn up, stood right in front of me when he said it, and I came very close to telling him to go sit down.. But he was probably the drunkest person there, and I'm sure he would have tried to fight me.. Then we both would have been thrown out.

Also, there was a kid with a shirt that had a drawing of Jeff Tweedy on it. Jeff said it was scary looking and looked nothing like him. He let the kid on stage to show off his shirt.. That was hilraious... Totally made that kids day.

And we got to meet Lilac Rain and her parents.. VERY nice people. Sweet little girl, and we got a picture with her. :)

Bon Iver sounded wonderful. They were also very well received by the crowd which was great to see. I've been a fan ever since I found out they were playing and I bought the CD.

It was also cool to meet watch me fall at Buffalo Wild Wings before the show. We were hoping for more VCers to show, but we had a good time with just the three of us enjoying some tasty brews.

We did get to meet Jeff after the show. I'm kicking my self in the ass that we didn't get a picture with him, but he did sign a guitar pic for my wife. Jeff and Michael were the only ones to come out back and it was raining. I told Michael that it was VERY cool of them to come out in the rain to meet fans.

Can't wait until they come back. :thumbup

For the record:

I was the guy in the front row with the SNL shirt (the black one); my friend was wearing a red one. Ironically, I wasn't there for Jeff's comments - I was in the men's room while he addressed my friend. Ironically (again), it wasn't my friend's idea to wear them to the show. Weird.

I'm going to have to listen to the audio, but I think Jeff misunderstood the joke. Everyone knows that Charleston was really pissed about the band cancelling the original date, including us. So, I thought it would be ridiculous to wear the shirts to make light of the situation. So, for the record, the joke was never intended towards the band, but rather on all of us as fans for taking things so seriously.

I think a lot of people got it. But from what Lamrod wrote, maybe when Jeff saw us he thought we were commenting on the band's decision to play on SNL - calling them sellouts? Not the case.

Nevertheless, we were dancing and singing our asses off along with Jeff the whole show. I think Jeff appreciated that.

The wife and I highly enjoyed the show. Yeah, I think the guy with the SNL shirt (sitting right next to us on the front row) pissed Jeff off slightly, but I think Jeff knew he was just joking around.. Especially when he appeared to be a super fan, dancing and singing to every song. The drunk guy that told the band to turn up, stood right in front of me when he said it, and I came very close to telling him to go sit down.. But he was probably the drunkest person there, and I'm sure he would have tried to fight me.. Then we both would have been thrown out.

Also, there was a kid with a shirt that had a drawing of Jeff Tweedy on it. Jeff said it was scary looking and looked nothing like him. He let the kid on stage to show off his shirt.. That was hilraious... Totally made that kids day.

And we got to meet Lilac Rain and her parents.. VERY nice people. Sweet little girl, and we got a picture with her. :)

Bon Iver sounded wonderful. They were also very well received by the crowd which was great to see. I've been a fan ever since I found out they were playing and I bought the CD.

It was also cool to meet watch me fall at Buffalo Wild Wings before the show. We were hoping for more VCers to show, but we had a good time with just the three of us enjoying some tasty brews.

We did get to meet Jeff after the show. I'm kicking my self in the ass that we didn't get a picture with him, but he did sign a guitar pic for my wife. Jeff and Michael were the only ones to come out back and it was raining. I told Michael that it was VERY cool of them to come out in the rain to meet fans.

We got stuck in very nasty weather on the way up -- it looked like a tornado had made its way up Route 17, with lots of trees down. We ended up talking to the sound man and by the time we got around back, Michael was the only one out there, and by the time we parked and ran over, he was gone.

For the record:

I was the guy in the front row with the SNL shirt (the black one); my friend was wearing a red one. Ironically, I wasn't there for Jeff's comments - I was in the men's room while he addressed my friend. Ironically (again), it wasn't my friend's idea to wear them to the show. Weird.

I'm going to have to listen to the audio, but I think Jeff misunderstood the joke. Everyone knows that Charleston was really pissed about the band cancelling the original date, including us. So, I thought it would be ridiculous to wear the shirts to make light of the situation. So, for the record, the joke was never intended towards the band, but rather on all of us as fans for taking things so seriously.

I think a lot of people got it. But from what Lamrod wrote, maybe when Jeff saw us he thought we were commenting on the band's decision to play on SNL - calling them sellouts? Not the case.

Nevertheless, we were dancing and singing our asses off along with Jeff the whole show. I think Jeff appreciated that.

Like I said, I think once Jeff saw that you guys were enjoying the show it was all in good fun. I thought the shirts were great. :thumbup

DId any of you see the really really drunk guy walking out after the show? He leaned WAY to the right as he made his way to wife (who walked about ten feet ahead of him) and car. When he made it to the grass, he started walking in this wide circle about three times before falling right on his head. We all cheered for him.

Unfortunately, this guy was right beside me and my boyfriend during the show (Row C) and yelled obnoxiously from Handshake Drugs to the end.

Glad you and the wife had fun. I wish you guys could've made the Cary show. It was a pretty damn good time.

Great show and very nice place to see the band. Here's a pic I took of this kid Jeff Brought up on stage, and a couple of shots from after the show

So you was the guy in the Mets "Tweedy" jersey. I saw you up front in Charleston and Cary.

The kid's T-shirt looks like Chuckie from the slasher movies.

Listen.......I was there and the crowd was just fine.........of course, there were a few rowdies - however, most folks go to rock shows to party - even Wilco shows!...........I have seem 'em ~10 times from rowdy bars on the Being There and Summerteeth tours - to the reverent Tweedy solo shows and I thought Charleston was quite fun!...........aside from that dude yelling out during Sunken Treasure..............that was bogus

If anyone here was in Little Rock last year as I was, they can appreciate the Charleston crowds enthusiasm....

Little Rock was like a mortuary..........just DEAD........

I'll take a rowdy crowd any night over that.......

However.........when they hit venues like House of Blues (i.e. "bars")......it is just pitiful

Cars Can't Escape.........wow............not many band performances of that one out there

I saw Wilco at the HOB in Myrtle Beach and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. Certainly not pitiful.

dude........that is the very show I was talking about........... I couldn't wait to get out of there!

All the SMOKE and NOISE...............argh!

Of course, I had just seen them the night before at an awesome venue in Savannah - and M Beach simply paled in comparison in my opinion...........

But - these are just opinions!

Wait............I just looked back at the set list and I could be very wrong.........that show was very good.......(great) - it was the CROWD that I felt sucked..........and where I was standing (general admission........ugh)........it was poor as far as the crowd was concerned

Wait............I just looked back at the set list and I could be very wrong.........that show was very good.......(great) - it was the CROWD that I felt sucked..........and where I was standing (general admission........ugh)........it was poor as far as the crowd was concerned

We were on the front row right in front of Jeff, so maybe that's why I liked the show so much. I didn't have to deal with the noise and smoke. I do remember some sorority-type chicks trying to push their way in front of me about halfway through the show but I wasn't having any of that.

If I recall correctly, Head of Femur opened that night and they brought back the horns for the encore. Good times.

i was at the HOB show as well as the last two at the NPAC in Charleston, and the HOB show is thought to be the best not only in my opinion but also in the opinion of various other friends who all were in varying locations for seating/standing at all the shows.

that being said, i mainly disliked the recent show due to the 1 annoying guy yelling at the start and then complaining later about the sound, as well as the general restlessness of the crowd, and the fact i had to get up early the next day. as opposed to the HOB show where my wife was the DD and we piled 7 people into a land cruiser for the trip up, stopped at Sam's in pawleys for cocktails to go at 1AM on a sunday morning while running into friends from high school.

what i'm getting at is that i think a lot more than the band's performance plays into the fan's perception of what makes the best show. i think all three were great performances.

i was at the HOB show as well as the last two at the NPAC in Charleston, and the HOB show is thought to be the best not only in my opinion but also in the opinion of various other friends who all were in varying locations for seating/standing at all the shows.

that being said, i mainly disliked the recent show due to the 1 annoying guy yelling at the start and then complaining later about the sound, as well as the general restlessness of the crowd, and the fact i had to get up early the next day. as opposed to the HOB show where my wife was the DD and we piled 7 people into a land cruiser for the trip up, stopped at Sam's in pawleys for cocktails to go at 1AM on a sunday morning while running into friends from high school.

what i'm getting at is that i think a lot more than the band's performance plays into the fan's perception of what makes the best show. i think all three were great performances.

Looks like we've been to alot of the same shows over the years. I totally get what you're saying. The Asheville show in 2005 was the worst show ever for me because a.) I couldn't see anything and b.) people wouldn't shut up. Even at the Cary show the couple in front of us sat down and carried on a conversation for most of the show. I don't get spending $40/person to come to a show and talk. But maybe that's just me.

Looks like we've been to alot of the same shows over the years. I totally get what you're saying. The Asheville show in 2005 was the worst show ever for me because a) I couldn't see anything and B) people wouldn't shut up. Even at the Cary show the couple in front of us sat down and carried on a conversation for most of the show. I don't get spending $40/person to come to a show and talk. But maybe that's just me.

Yeah, there were some talkers, some drunks, and just flat out rude people at Charleston.. I don't remember it being that way in Charlotte though last year. There was just a very happy atmosphere. It's funny how the mood is different at each show. Maybe the bad mood at Charleston had something to do with the re-schedule? But I think it was mostly the drunk asshole who told the band to turn up.