Charleston 8-7-08

Great show tonight, but different. I came in at 7:40, Bon Inver came on at 7:45 and the place was not even 1/8 full. Later Jeff commented that now he knew where everyone was (getting drunk!). Wasted crowd, but great setlist. Forget the Flowers, Monday, Can't stand it, and Pieholden Suite, I believe. Funny highlights: a guy on the front row wearing a Saturday Night Live T shirt (comments on that decision), Guy with the homemade T shirt with a Tweedy portrait that Jeff brought on stage, said he looked the Geico guy. :lol Great show, hope Carey is even better! :dancing

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charleston didn't get anything...but a good show. Pretty interesting crowd, all in all. I think Jeff was amused by many of the people in the front row. He also spotted Lilac Rain again, mentioning her name in the same interlude as the guy with the SNL shirt.

Feels like it was the first show in a long time without A Shot in the Arm.

The complete setlist, as follows:

Sunken Treasure

You Are My Face

Side With The Seeds

IATTBYH

Company In My Back

Blood of the Lamb (w/Total Pros horns-clarinet only)

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

Pieholden Suite (w/Total Pros)

Forget The Flowers

Summer Teeth

Jesus, etc.

Hate It Here (w/TPs)

Can't Stand It (w/TPs)

Heavy Metal Drummer

Walken (w/TPs)

I'm The Man Who Loves You (w/TPs)

-------------------------------

Misunderstood

Cars Can't Escape>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

-------------------------------

The Late Greats (w/TPs)

Monday (w/TPs)>

Outtasite (Outta Mind) (w/TPs)

Yes, it was a great show and Jeff promised to come back every year. Haha.

Songs not in order:

Sunken Treasure

You Are My Face

Side With the Seeds

IATTBYH

Blood of the Lamb :worship

Company in My Back

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

Pieholden Suite :worship

Hate it Here

Forget the Flowers

Summer teeth :worship :worship :worship

Jesus, etc.

HMD

Walken

ITMWLY

--------

Misunderstood

Cars Can't Escape :worship :worship :worship

Spiders

--------

Late Greats

Monday

Outtasite

Lots off Being There. :thumbup I requested Summer teeth so that was pretty sweet. Pieholden and Cars Can't Escape were fantastic. Total Pros were great too. First show that I've been to in a long while that Shot in the Arm wasn't played.

Also, Bon Iver was amazing. Creature Fear :thumbup Wish they could've played a bit longer.

edit. Wow, I type slow. bbop - Funny you mentioned the same thing about Shot in the arm.

Handshake is always a highlight.

I am shocked the Hummingbird is off the setlist. I thought they played it a almost ever show. Then when I just saw them in Jacksonville they didnt play it, then not last night either. I wonder why?

I am shocked the Hummingbird is off the setlist. I thought they played it a almost ever show. Then when I just saw them in Jacksonville they didnt play it, then not last night either. I wonder why?

Not that I've seen Wilco lately, well except streaming from Lollapalooza, but I always keep expecting them to play Hummingbird, but it's not shown up lately. I love that song and can't help dancing around, even at home (and if you know me it's kind of hard for me to do lately :blush) when I hear it. Hope they bring it back on a semi-regular basis... :wub

My head is a little fuzzy this morning but I do believe there was harmonica last night, yes.

I'd say the only problem I had with the set list, with the exception of not playing Dreamer, was Late Greats. I've tried to get into that song and I just can't.

Also in my estimation, Impossible Germany got the biggest crowd response. Of course, that could've just been where I was sitting.

Oh did anyone know what the hell that guy was talking about who said he couldn't hear shit? I thought Jeff handled him pretty well. "would you like your $40 back, sir?"

My head is a little fuzzy this morning but I do believe there was harmonica last night, yes.

I'd say the only problem I had with the set list, with the exception of not playing Dreamer, was Late Greats. I've tried to get into that song and I just can't.

Also in my estimation, Impossible Germany got the biggest crowd response. Of course, that could've just been where I was sitting.

Oh did anyone know what the hell that guy was talking about who said he couldn't hear shit? I thought Jeff handled him pretty well. "would you like your $40 back, sir?"

sound was stellar for the first half of the show last night then they cranked the bass and it all went to mush. charleston in particular has bad bass heavy mixes at most venues, people now expect it i think, so the guy wasn't liking the mix as it wasn't "loud" enough, ie not boomy and deafening. that crowd last night sucked and i'm gonna think twice about seeing wilco in town again unless i'm third row or similar, as i was the show previously.

impossible germany was incredible.

sound was stellar for the first half of the show last night then they cranked the bass and it all went to mush. charleston in particular has bad bass heavy mixes at most venues, people now expect it i think, so the guy wasn't liking the mix as it wasn't "loud" enough, ie not boomy and deafening. that crowd last night sucked and i'm gonna think twice about seeing wilco in town again unless i'm third row or similar, as i was the show previously.

i agree that the crowd blew. that was clear during sunken opening and IATTBYH. But....show improved continually, if not the sound which was fine where I was sitting. Other than the girl literally taking phone calls behind me, I had a grand time and by the end of the night, I think Jeff was having fun too. The t-shirt exchange (and the t shirt) was classic. See you in Wilmington.

After the first song or so I didn't think the crowd sucked at all. Of course, that may just be because of where I was sitting/standing. Everyone around me was dancing and having a good time.

After the first song or so I didn't think the crowd sucked at all. Of course, that may just be because of where I was sitting/standing. Everyone around me was dancing and having a good time.

yeh, but in the back it was all talking and roaming around. really annoying. a few other friends in the back, nearby where i was, thought so too. but my wife and other friends in front of the sound board had no complaints.

My guess is the TPs will be with them up to the Brooklyn show. I really hope so, because I'd love the chance to see them.

So Jeff must read the boards as he was saying sorry for taking the SNL gig but come on we did reschedule so why all the crap..... Not man folks seemed to know what he was talking about.

The tphorns were not well mixed in sound. Great show with some stupid fans like the one bantering about the sound. Thought it was great when Jeff got him thrown out of front saying he shouldnt be rewarded for his complaining

. Did take offense to his bald comment as I sure was not sitting for the entire show. Great seats center about 5 rows back. Nils was on fire and I like how he drops in a few radiohead sounds just for the shit of it.

Of the 5 shows I have seen I would rate it #2 after raleigh memorial auditorium show in 03 04 or so.

Much better then 2 years ago in chapel hill where the new songs were just starting to take shape and they were too mellow overall.

Great fans around me except fot the girl next to me who asked if my wife and I were retired.......Since we go to so many shows. :thumbup

Must be looking old...

I really wanna see the above series (Misunderstood-->Cars-->Spiders), considering I've seen that One Wing-->Spiders at Lolla already.

Though I would like to see One Wing, but throwing in something wild like Pieholden is fine with me. Forget The Flowers is being played more, I see.

Misunderstood

Cars Can't Escape>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

I LOVE this hat trick. Love it!

Cars cant escape was the treat of the night. Is it still available if you but YFH????

Sounded a little like the beatles. Maybe like radioheads Faust Arps sounds like Black Bird.

Cars cant escape was the treat of the night. Is it still available if you but YFH????

Sounded a little like the beatles. Maybe like radioheads Faust Arps sounds like Black Bird.

It was a great show, but a notch below their performance in Jacksonville, particularly Nels. He seemed to be into the music but not as crazy as Jacksonville, where he was pogoing and pretty much a maniac by the end thrashing around -- John was not quite as energetic as he was in Charleston. Pat was his usual rock star self.

Jeff talked more at Charleston than Jacksonville, though he seemed more laid back in Jax -- we talked to the soundman afterwards and he said the band had complained that the PA in Jacksonville was too loud. Charleston was more restrained, though the sound seemed flat, and I couldn't hear the horns through the first half -- could not hear the clarinet at all in Blood of the Lamb. There was at least two mics set up about 8 rows back -- and it appeared as though someone had set mics up on the far edges of the stage -- no one was plugged into the board. I asked the soundman for his set list, but he said he promised it to someone who, when he showed up, was so drunk he was completely incoherent, then fell over a flightcase.

The two versions of Spiders were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from one night to the next. In Jacksonville, the tempo was cranked up a notch, and the audience messed up the clapping, although they didn't have a clue what was to happen. Spiders immediately followed Cars Can't Escape and the tempo was back a notch, more of a churning and less insistent that either the previous night, or the album version.

Interesting people was a kind way to put the audience in Charleston. Loud, noisy and often completely oblivious to the band. The nut job who came up front to tell Tweedy to turn it up spent the first 8 songs sitting directly next to us. He was the guy screaming through Sunken Treasure. He had a pack of wine bottles that he was draining. Someone from the arena said they set up two extra bars for the show.

A couple in front of us would literally talk throughout the songs and then cease in between songs. They allowed alcohol into the theatre and people were taking full advantage of it, sending people for beers crashing through the rows that went on endlessly without seats. I went to a Wilco concert and a Cubs game broke out.

About midway through the show, people bought in and the audience around us became a bit more engaged. The set list was great, Summerteeth and Pieholden were nice to hear, Cars Can't Escape is a great song.

We talked with a security woman out back -- we were driving past and saw Michael, but by the time we got parked he was gone -- and she was telling us horror stories about the audience up front. A couple who was there were in the 3rd row, in this woman's section. Horror stories.

We've got 4th row for Cary, but we are a bit trepeditious given what we saw in Charleston.

Jacksonville got a spectacular show for fans who didn't seem as familiar with the band. Charleston got a comparatively solid show. I'm far from a prude but a good portion of the Charleston crowd likely doesn't remember the show today.

I'm far from a prude but a good portion of the Charleston crowd likely doesn't remember the show today.

I never seen so much liquor and beer at a show.... and Jeff said put in a center aisle so everyone doesnt have to have folks marching past them etc.......

Horns were not in sound at all. Might as welll not been there. Otherwise thought the band was on and am impressed with drummer. He earned his pay last night....

:pirate

I could hear the horns great where I was sitting. My only complaint about the show would have to be the people walking in front of me. They really need to put some aisles in there.