Tom Waits top three

I did a search and didn't come up with any top Tom Waits anything so.... what's your top Three albums?

Here are my top three.

Blood Money

Real Gone

Orphans(Brawlers) choosing all three Orphans as one would kind of be unfair.

I love everything he has done from Swordfishtrombones on but my favorites are his most recent which has me looking forward to what might come next.

Very tough, almost impossible... but I'll give it a try!

Rain Dogs

Bone Machine

Real Gone

I also cannot wait to see what's next! I know he will be recording his new album with British musician Tricky. I've listened to some of his work and ummm... let's just say this album should be quite interesting in a good way!

Very tough, almost impossible... but I'll give it a try!

Rain Dogs

Bone Machine

Real Gone

I also cannot wait to see what's next! I know he will be recording his new album with British musician Tricky. I've listened to some of his work and ummm... let's just say this album should be quite interesting in a good way!

Any idea when this new recording is going to happen?

Rain Dogs

Real Gone

Bone Machine

Mule Variations

Small Change

Blood Money

i am amazed at all the love for Real Gone. I like about 1/2 of it. It is a damn difficult listen. Harsh and nightmarish. Hearing those tunes live in 06 was fun, but I am partial to the piano ballad stuff...Picture In A Frame, Georgia Lee, etc.

i am amazed at all the love for Real Gone. I like about 1/2 of it. It is a damn difficult listen. Harsh and nightmarish. Hearing those tunes live in 06 was fun, but I am partial to the piano ballad stuff...Picture In A Frame, Georgia Lee, etc.

Marc Ribot is one of my favorite guitarists. I like the tunes where it's a quartet of Tom, Marc, Claypool, and Brain. Great earthy, huanting sounds.

I'd probably go with Rain Dogs, The Black Rider and either Swordfishtrombones or Big Time. Sometimes I really enjoy his early crooner in a dive bar albums, but the '80s and '90s ones are more my forte.

I agree with a previous statement that Real Gone is a tough listen. It feels like an overload of sonic information. I'll try listening to the ribot/claypool/waits/brain tracks. That's a top quality lineup. I suspect the reason Real Gone sounds so harsh is the turntables.

I'm just really getting into Waits. I haven't sat down and listened to most of his older stuff, but I absolutely LOVE is early stuff.

My top 3 (so far and in no particular order)

Heart of Saturday Night

Closing Time

Nighthawks at the Diner