33 1/3 Book on AGIB

I love the 33 1/3 book series. I've thought about how someone should do one on Wilco, but which album? AGIB seems like the most interesting to me. YHF has been journalized to death. Most of the early experiences were covered for better or worse by Greg Kot. But the AGIB sessions are largely a mystery in spite of the Wilco Book. There is much said about the musical approach, but wouldn't it be awesome to get some good Jim O'Rourke comments. Hear Leroy's perspective after some years. I remember both John and Jeff looking at that period as dark times for the band, I'd love to see how they and Glenn weathered it. All of this must have shaped the intense mood of that record. That and Jeff cleaned up right after it came out, so it would be a happy ending.

Let's make a petition.

I say they should do Being There, as a non-fiction novel wherein the main character, the vice president of the United States, stands on his head during the State of the Union address and walks out of the Capitol building on his hands, away to a cornfield in Iowa, where he invents a robot that makes life easier for all of his fellow Americans.

No comment really on the next Wilco book....but the 33.3 book on The Band is a great read. Totally fictionalized, but still very entertaining.

I say they should do Being There, as a non-fiction novel wherein the main character, the vice president of the United States, stands on his head during the State of the Union address and walks out of the Capitol building on his hands, away to a cornfield in Iowa, where he invents a robot that makes life easier for all of his fellow Americans.

Or a fiction novel, where this one guy gets hit by a limo and then moves in with rich and powerful people.

I think AGIB would be a great idea, as lost highway has made some good points. Summerteeth, that's more like "Jeff and Jay find old keyboards and make poppy tunes." Done. I think with all Jeff was going through, it being the first record without jay Bennett, Jim O'Rourke's involvement, all the processes they used to jam and dig up new ideas (which was discussed in the Wilco book but not very in-depth), yeah it seems like the one.

I think AGIB would be a great idea, as lost highway has made some good points. Summerteeth, that's more like "Jeff and Jay find old keyboards and make poppy tunes." Done. I think with all Jeff was going through, it being the first record without jay Bennett, Jim O'Rourke's involvement, all the processes they used to jam and dig up new ideas (which was discussed in the Wilco book but not very in-depth), yeah it seems like the one.

I dunno, I think Summerteeth would have tons of back story -- the emotional aspects of Tweedy at that time, the endless tour and how things de-evolved (according to Greg Kot) there's the weird relationship that developed between Tweedy and Bennett. It's not Wilco the band but if there's a time that Wilco could have exploded and gone kaput, that may have been it.

But that's the point. Kot has told that story. No one has told the AGIB story. I've heard snippets that are fascinating. Like, Tweedy had to sing super soft to record the vocals on AGIB because his headaches were killing him. I'm sure we'd all love one for each album, but I think AGIB is the story least told.

But that's the point. Kot has told that story. No one has told the AGIB story. I've heard snippets that are fascinating. Like, Tweedy had to sing super soft to record the vocals on AGIB because his headaches were killing him. I'm sure we'd all love one for each album, but I think AGIB is the story least told.

Right. YHF's story is pretty much all told with all the press coverage it received along with the film. Kot covered Summerteeth and Being There. And A Ghost is Born is a better album than Sky Blue Sky or AM, it'd be a good fit for the series and it's time Wilco got some love from 33 1/3, the books are kind of hit and miss but when they're good they're really good.

--Mike

Right. YHF's story is pretty much all told with all the press coverage it received along with the film. Kot covered Summerteeth and Being There. And A Ghost is Born is a better album than Sky Blue Sky or AM, it'd be a good fit for the series and it's time Wilco got some love from 33 1/3, the books are kind of hit and miss but when they're good they're really good.

--Mike

I think Kot fast forwarded from Uncle Tupelo to YHF in his book. He alluded and touched on things, hints. Tweedy has said as much himself. But otherwise, point taken.

I guess with AGIB there would have to be some touching on his stay -- although that's really his business.

I'm just glad that Tweedy seems to be doing so well now regarding migranes and health. I've heard a few comments in interviews that he's "dealing with them" better. I wish him nothing but the best.

But that's the point. Kot has told that story. No one has told the AGIB story.

It occurred to me last nite that this is not entirely true. The Wilco Book has numerous first-hand accounts from the band, technicians, engineers etc. of the band at the time of the recording of the album. It ends with Nels joining the band. Lots of great information.

I see what you mean, but it's pretty vague. You get these weird little chunks of evidence from that book, the fundamentals, improvisations, certain goals and sonic approaches, but there is almost no personal information. Almost nothing from Jim O. You get to hear Glenn's multi-percussion theory, a good quote from John about lots of instruments making tiny sounds, other interesting stuff about Sear Sound.

I love that book, but it doesn't really give me an idea about what making the album was like, it's more a picture of the tools and the schematics. (which is totally awesome in another way).

What was it like for Mikael to really step in for the first time? What was it like having Jim play so many instruments on the record? What were Leroy's experiences? Why was The High Heat and Panthers excluded? What got Glenn into Hammer Dulcimer on that record? There is talk of alot of strain, alot of cigarette breaks, alot of anxiety I think a good writer good editorialize on that alot and hear that in the music. I know I do.

I see what you mean, but it's pretty vague. You get these weird little chunks of evidence from that book, the fundamentals, improvisations, certain goals and sonic approaches, but there is almost no personal information. Almost nothing from Jim O. You get to hear Glenn's multi-percussion theory, a good quote from John about lots of instruments making tiny sounds, other interesting stuff about Sear Sound.

I love that book, but it doesn't really give me an idea about what making the album was like, it's more a picture of the tools and the schematics. (which is totally awesome in another way).

What was it like for Mikael to really step in for the first time? What was it like having Jim play so many instruments on the record? What were Leroy's experiences? Why was The High Heat and Panthers excluded? What got Glenn into Hammer Dulcimer on that record? There is talk of alot of strain, alot of cigarette breaks, alot of anxiety I think a good writer good editorialize on that alot and hear that in the music. I know I do.

True. When I read Kot's book the first time, I thought, "wow am I getting a glimpse of this band." But I think I got a lot of the historical outlines, a few glimpses. The Wilco Book I think offers more of the people involved; glimpses that get questions flowing like the ones you've described. Obviously, you've gotten those glimpses from what you're read/looked at. Will a formal effort have to dredge up so much of what you already know just to get a few more glimpses of what you don't?