Wilco and atheism

Personally, I have never understood Atheism. I can understand someone not brought up in Christianity or religion or any higher power belief system to not believe in God or a god. But eventually, how does one not conclude that SOMETHING beyond our imagination or comprehension is over-seeing or looking upon everything?
My thought is "How does one conclude that SOMETHING beyond our imagination or comprehension..."

I imagine death is sort of what it was like for the billions and billions of years in which you didn
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize for misunderstanding your intent.

I think that is the perfect comment to close this thread. A lot of people talking -- on all sides of the discussion -- to people who are hearing what they want to hear, or picking things to make the source of an argument -- not vindictively but protecting what each believes to be true.

This all falls down to the fallacy of labels.

What does atheism mean? What are your beliefs in 10 words or less (or pick from among three options).

I can understand trying to create a lexicon to base further discussions, but labels end up strictly becoming the basis for divisive politics. Quoting scripture, or the writings of certain philosophers. PHds or scientists as if they were scripture. Just building freaking walls so you can truly get at the nature of what people truly believe and feel. Because the beliefs are so deeply rooted, like bedrock, they by nature are unshakeable. But whether soul or intellect, our ability to share and relate are those gifts/benefits of being human.

Can an atheist play devil's advocate?

Hitchens did in the Mother Theresa case.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry..thought you might be serious...inflection is hard to pick up on the net.

LouieB

No prob, I guess I just haven't presented my self to be left enough in my gazillion election thread posts. All those kids that puked with my nonstop liberal poo must have been faking it. Damn righty tighty liars!!

The Onion is just too far left for my taste k7pqp.gif

That smiley is a Bastille Day smiley, n'est-ce pas?

Here's a random thought, that may be irrelevant, but it's just something to throw out there:

Is love simply a bunch of chemical reactions?

If you are a materialist, yes.

Yes, highly unstable chemical reactions.

Evolution Needs You!

[Poster of Darwin pointing finger.]