From USA today a new interpretation of the Beatles

One of the most outrageous interpretations of Beatles music I have ever heard...

John, Paul, Ringo and George W.? Music to a conservative's ear

By David Benkof

Periodically, when people find out that a conservative Republican like me loves the Beatles, they're confused. After all, the Beatles have come to symbolize the liberal, even libertine, 1960s. Haven't I listened to the lyrics of songs such as Revolution? Yes, I have. Have you?

(Photo - With the Beatles: Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, John Lennon and George Harrison in the

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They even wrote a song (Taxman) complaining that taxes were too high. That's a little more George W. Bush than Barack Obama, isn't it?

:rotfl

there is nothing about the lyrics or music in Happiness is a Warm Gun that cannot be interpreted as a defense of Second Amendment rights.

Nothing??

Nothing that cannot be interpreted as a defense of Second Amendment rights??

How about the entire 1st 1/2 of the song?

She's not a girl who misses much

Do do do do do do- oh yeah

She's well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand

Like a lizard on a window pane

The man in the crowd with the multicoloured mirrors

On his hobnail boots

Lying with his eyes while his hands are busy

Working overtime

A soap impression of his wife which he ate

And donated to the National Trust

I need a fix 'cause I'm going down

Down to the bits that I left uptown

I need a fix cause I'm going down

Yes, well you see, the "velvet hand like a lizard on a window pane" CLEARLY refers to the limits of infringing on the right to bear arms.

Even if the Beatles meant to be ironic, there is nothing about the lyrics or music in Happiness is a Warm Gun that cannot be interpreted as a defense of Second Amendment rights.

Yeah, John loved firearms more than life itself.

This guy's a genius. :worship

Barack Obama and G.W both snorted coke....Drugs transcend politics because almost everyone like/uses them.

Oh, and the Beatles were not conservative in any way.

I was glad people had already responded to the 2nd amendment rights line by the time I read this..absolutely ridiculous. who pays this guy to write?

The Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band albums are works of such staggering musical genius that they rival the best of Johann Sebastian Bach and Ludwig Van Beethoven for the greatest musical output of the past millennium.

David Benkof is a doctoral student in American Jewish history at New York University. He can be reached at DavidBenkof@aol.com.

Obviously, he's not a doctoral student in music history.

This guy is all over the web. Googling him turns up a bunch of stuff. If true his Wiki entry points to a person who has gone through twists and turns to get where he is today. And hints that this sort of interpretation might not be far fetched for him.

David Benkof

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

David Benkof (born David Bianco in 1970) is an American journalist-entrepreneur. He was raised St. Louis, Missouri and then went to college at Stanford University, where he came out as gay his freshmen year. He served as the international president of United Synagogue Youth.[1]

In 1995, he founded Q Syndicate, gay-press syndication service that provides columns, cartoons, crossword puzzles and horoscopes to about 100 gay and lesbian newspapers. In 2001, he sold a majority interest in Q Syndicate to Rivendell Marketing, and served as vice president for two years before selling the rest of the company.[2] Benkof published Modern Jewish history for everyone in 1997 and Gay Essentials: Facts for Your Queer Brain in 1999. In 2002 and 2003 he wrote the column

Oh, and the Beatles were not conservative in any way.

While I agree that trying to label the Beatles' as "conservative" is pretty ridiculous, I think this statement is equally ridiculous. Was Taxman a joke? The Beatles were being taxed by the British government like crazy then. Why? Because they were rich.

While I agree that trying to label the Beatles' as "conservative" is pretty ridiculous, I think this statement is equally ridiculous. Was Taxman a joke? The Beatles were being taxed by the British government like crazy then. Why? Because they were rich.

So, liberals never complain about taxes?

Hmmm.

The Beatles were being taxed at a rate of about 95%. I don't care what your politics are, that's something you're going to complain about, no matter how much you make.

Benkof's quoting selected lyrics that he can twist into supporting his worldview, not unlike what many people do with the Bible.

The Beatles were anti-establishment (especially Lennon), but, like Dylan, they really never allied themselves to any political ideology. What a crock of shit.