Who's got a Prius?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

three, actually. I know netflix is corporate and we'll be a better country when corporate flames out, cause every last one of those fuckers would suck marrow from a baby's bones to show a better bottom line to their shareholders. plus all the yellow rat bastards in corporate drive fucking yellow hummers and buy town cars for their mistresses. my theory is no sense in paying for music or movies or books twice. they're all in the library system.we'll be a better country for it.

I don't even know what the f*ck you're saying. Did you buy spawns school supplies at walmart?

The last book I borrowed from the library was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer," in 1988. I ended up paying a huge fine because I am really bad about bringing things back to libraries.

I'm officially done with explaining the calculations....

(followed by 5,000 more words)

Look, i don't know you, and I'm sure you're a super sweet, well intentioned person, but that whole rant-that-you-preceded-by-saying-you-weren't-going-to-rant-anymore read like a big fat ole "waaaah, I don't want to read anything contrary to my preformed opinion".

It's kinda annoying.

FWIW, I gave you pretty realistic numbers. I went down this same path with my wife, over the course of about 6 mos, and determined the following back then (when gas was cheaper, no less) - the best deal on cars for mileage and footprint were:

1. A slightly used 32 mpg Corolla

2. A slightly used VW Jetta TDI

3 & on - several other high MPG gas cars

way down the list - Civic or Prius hybrid

The issue is simple - they're still overpriced. If they can bring production costs down, then it'll become a good buy. I think dailytech.com said something a couple weeks ago about Toyota finding a way to cut production costs significantly, so maybe there's a chance that will happen.

FWIW, I gave you pretty realistic numbers. I went down this same path with my wife, over the course of about 6 mos, and determined the following back then (when gas was cheaper, no less) - the best deal on cars for mileage and footprint were:

Uh. Wouldn't a rise in gas prices make the gap in mpg/value WIDEN?

Corollae are good cars, in my experience.

EDIT: My power company hopes to convert some of their coal plants to biomass plants, so an electric car would be even more environmentally friendly than I thought:

http://bioenergy.checkbiotech.org/news/200...ant_to_biomass/

That's really cool!

Sorry Jen, this is completely off the topic, but:

My sister's got solar panels, and even in her location in the foggiest neighborhood in San Francisco, she puts energy back into the grid. We're in the process of getting them now; in terms of money saved on electric bills vs. initial investment, it'll be quite some time before they "pay for themselves", but they're not really a bad deal.

Also, a couple who live up the street from my mom have solar panels, and an electric car (they actually make a brief appearance in Who Killed the Electric Car?). I'd love to have that set-up, myself.

RE my comment about cutting all the trees down and parking in full sun I was being overly dramatic in an attempt to lighten things up a little. :) I think having solar panels is amazing. It's another case of not getting an immediate return on your money, but in the long run it's a responsible and noble thing to do.

huh. I don't think so where I am. At the very least there's like a couple of hundred libraries in my system I can order from right on my computer and they're delivered to my library for me to pick up.

I meant - it cost the library money. I actually don't have any experience with doing ILL through a public library - only the one here at the university.

I meant - it cost the library money. I actually don't have any experience with doing ILL through a public library - only the one here at the university.

ah. gotcha.

I think having solar panels is amazing. It's another case of not getting an immediate return on your money, but in the long run it's a responsible and noble thing to do.

Couldn't an alternative case can be made that one would be more noble and responsible to not even enter a tax bracket where they

could afford to do such things. Seems like the kind of thing rich people do to make themselves feel better about effing up the planet so

much.

Look, i don't know you, and I'm sure you're a super sweet, well intentioned person, but that whole rant-that-you-preceded-by-saying-you-weren't-going-to-rant-anymore read like a big fat ole "waaaah, I don't want to read anything contrary to my preformed opinion".

It's kinda annoying.

I figured you obviously didn't read any of my previous posts or else you wouldn't have mentioned most of the things you did, so I was condensing them for you. And if you want to nitpick, I said I wasn't going to go into the calculations and reasons again, which I don't believe I did, since I had already gone over it all earlier.

And I also said I was hoping for contradictory evidence so I could make an informed decision. Then I explained why your example had nothing to do with my situation and why. I'd hardly call that whining and not wanting to read anything contrary to my preformed opinion. If I had a preformed opinion I wouldn't have asked anyone else for theirs.

:)

Couldn't an alternative case can be made that one would be more noble and responsible to not even enter a tax bracket where they

could afford to do such things. Seems like the kind of thing rich people do to make themselves feel better about effing up the planet so

much.

I suppose a case could be made for anything. I'm going to start a foundation to feed solar panels to the homeless.

One of the biggest pencil mfgs is located a mere 30 miles from where I sit. I'm pretty sure that's a huge corporation also.

Watch out, man. That part of the state is given over to roving gangs of bandits, I have heard.

One of the biggest pencil mfgs is located a mere 30 miles from where I sit. I'm pretty sure that's a huge corporation also.

This conversation reminds me of the comedy skit where the family brings charles manson home as a pet and he just doesn't make any sense at all, but everyone laughs. Was that SNL? Or Kids in the Hall? I can't remember. MAD TV i think.