Who's got a Prius?

Kevin, I just priced out a Mini Cooper with the same features I'd be getting in the Prius (some standard, some in the options package I chose).

$22,450.

Prius Hybrid: $23,670.

How will I ever get those extra bags of money to the dealership? :ohwell

MINIs are fun to drive but we got rid of ours when the same two things broke twice on it. Scott now drives an '08 Scion xB. Also, the mileage on the MINI was not that great -- we had an '03 COOPER S.

I remember you got the Scion xB. You love it right? I know someone else with one and they're totally in love with it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents have a diesel VW Jetta that gets 50+ MPG and they love it.

They pay more per gallon for their fuel, but they've had few (if any) complaints.

Is diesel better or worse than gas in terms of emissions? I've always thought it was worse, but I have no basis for that other than the horrible exhaust that comes out of big rigs. Very scientific, I know. :)

I know for a fact that the Mini Cooper can achieve better gas mileage than a Prius. Ask Isadorah.

I'd be really surprised if this is true. My fiance has an '06 Mini Cooper and it gets about 35 mpg combined (hwy/city). I have a friend who has a Prius (he runs a solar company so it goes with the job) and he at least claims much better mileage than that.

Edie, what broke on your Mini?

I remember you got the Scion xB. You love it right? I know someone else with one and they're totally in love with it.

Yes -- he can fit his drums AND me in the car at the same time. He could only fit the drums in the MINI (which was pretty amazing, actually)

I'd be really surprised if this is true. My fiance has an '06 Mini Cooper and it gets about 35 mpg combined (hwy/city). I have a friend who has a Prius (he runs a solar company so it goes with the job) and he at least claims much better mileage than that.

Edie, what broke on your Mini?

The passenger side window (wouldn't go up/down), and the driver's seat back adjuster -- we fixed them each twice and after the second time we traded it in for the Scion.

The passenger side window (wouldn't go up/down), and the driver's seat back adjuster -- we fixed them each twice and after the second time we traded it in for the Scion.

Yeah, the window design on them (the way the window goes down a bit when you open the door and back up when you shut it) is asking for trouble.

I'm just going to keep going on this topic for a minute.

Excerpts from a Business Week Online article called "The Top Ten Hybrid Myths" (I'd post a link but it goes to a PDF doc):

2. Hybrid batteries need to be replaced.

Worries about an expensive replacement of a hybrid car's batteries continue to nag many potential buyers. Those worries are

unfounded. By keeping the charge between 40% and 60% -- never fully charged and never fully drained -- carmakers have greatly

extended the longevity of nickel metal hydride batteries.

The standard warranty on hybrid batteries and other components is between 80,000 and 100,000 miles, depending on the

manufacturer and your location. But that doesn't mean the batteries will die out at 100,000 miles. The Energy Dept. stopped its tests

of hybrid batteries -- when the capacity remained almost like new -- after 160,000 miles. A taxi driver in Vancouver drove his Toyota

Prius over 200,000 miles in 25 months, and the batteries remained strong (see BW Online, 12/28/05, "Taxicabs Start to Turn

Green").

And there was an update to this article:

there is an error in the PDF under #2 where they say the battery is used in the 40-60% range when it's 40-80%.

5. Hybrids are expensive.

At the beginning of 2006, hybrids were available in 10 different models ranging in price from $19,000 to $53,000. The most efficient

models -- the Insight, Civic, and Prius -- are available well below $30,000. By the end of the decade, more than 50 models are

expected. By that point, hybrids will represent the full range of sizes, shapes, and costs.

Rechargeable batteries, electric motors, and sophisticated computer controls do add to the cost of producing a hybrid car. However,

as production numbers increase, economies of scale are expected to reduce those costs. Toyota (TM ) plans to offer hybrid versions

of all its most popular models and thus cut the incremental cost of hybrids in half.

In the meantime, the hybrid premium -- usually estimated at $3,000 -- is mitigated by federal and state tax incentives, lower

maintenance costs, and extraordinarily strong resale values. In fact, used Toyota Priuses are reportedly being sold at prices

approaching the cost of new ones.

This is exactly why I didn't post a thread asking "What do you think of hybrid cars?". I asked for opinions from those who already have the specific car I'm looking at. I figured those people would already understand the way they work and would have already weighed the pros and cons after doing their own research. I'm not sure how wanting a moderately priced, more efficient car that emits less exhaust while still having some of the cool features standard on so many traditional cars equals a perceived sense of entitlement. Wouldn't it make more sense to accuse Hummer drivers of this? What exactly do you think I think I'm entitled to?

Yes -- he can fit his drums AND me in the car at the same time. He could only fit the drums in the MINI (which was pretty amazing, actually)

Are we married?

I have an xB. I once fit the following in mine xB (though it was not comfortable, luckily we only had to go about a mile):

my entire drumset, two electric guitars (in cases), a bass guitar (in a case), a medium sized bass amp, two small guitar amps, a milk crate full of doo-dads, my wife and my guitarist.

Fitting a drumset in a Mini doesn't surprise me. When i got my first set of drums the salesman (a hair metal guy) said he could fit his 9 piece double bass set in his 280-Z.

280z.jpg

We also managed to fit an Ikea couch in our Scion, but we had to tie down the hatch (which is virtually impossible on an xB).

Sorry for hijacking....

I used to laugh that the MINI was really one of these --

weathered_TARDIS-l.jpg

bigger on the inside than the outside

The Mini cooper isn't even a fraction as advanced as Time Lord technology, and frankly I'm insulted at your suggestion.

Got another piece of info to add. This is from 2007, but it still applies in the "more expensive" argument. It's from a forum discussing the decision making process of people who bought hybrids.

I like this topic, for I have found that there is one popular myth that has been around for years (this was mentioned earlier): Owning a Prius does not save you much money because it is more expensive than other cars in its class (and it is almost never displayed in a class other than hybrid, right?). I get this ALL the time, and recall it being circulated back in 2004.

After recently buying my first Prius (there will be more in my future), I have done a lot of market research and found that:

1) The average price of a car in 2005 topped 30,000 - well above the Prius package six MSRP, and WAYYY above the base MSRP

2) The most popular car in the mid-size class viewed on yahoo auto is the 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe (Base price:$20,480 - 24,890K )(The Prius is listed on yahoo at a base price of $22,175

I thought I'd jump in here for a brief moment. I considered getting a Prius and decided on the MINI cooper because of some of the reasons bigshoulders noted. If you're heart is with the Prius, then that's the way to go, but if you're asking about the pros and cons of a Prius because you're not sure you want one then the only thing I know to do is compare it to other vehicles and to itself. I concede that the MINI cooper is not for everyone, they are small, VERY small and have limited cargo room and people room. They have a sticker rating of anywhere from in the 20mpgs for a convertible to 30s for the standard cooper. However, if you have a manual shift and drive it on the highway you will get 48mpg (I have pictures of my car getting this mileage), 40mpg in the city. My Dad owns a Prius. I also have a friend that has an older model Prius. I tested the Prius and researched it myself. The three of us compare gas mileage regularly and so far my car holds its own against their cars.

If gas mileage is a concern, the Prius does better with city driving and the mpg goes down on the highway. There are cars that rival the Prius' gas mileage ratings. They also do better during the spring and the fall. The get the worst mileage in the summer and it is so so in the winter.

I asked my mechanic (a very reliable mechanic, he's been my mechanic for many many years now) which car he would choose. A Prius or a MINI. He didn't hesitate and told me the MINI. Both have been on the market for roughly the same amount of time, he has worked on more Priuses than MINIs. I live in DC, there's a fairly large number of both here, so I don't think his numbers are skewed by lack of availability. He is also the one that advised me on the battery scenario. He said that the battery systems have not been tested to his liking and there is a history of the battery system going at the 6-8 year mark and it being an extremely expensive repair (the parts are one thing, the labor is where the $ adds up). Maybe it's because it's DC pricing and an independent mechanic, but that's where the $5-7K figure came from. The battery issue might only apply to the early models and Toyota has fixed this. I didn't research it in-depth. I also put a lot of miles on a car and my mechanic knew that my car of 5 years with 80K+ miles on it had just died due to an electrical system failure. He might have factored that in with his advice. My friend who owns an early model Prius has had his for 7 years and so far so good. He too was told that if the battery system goes it is a costly repair.

It is really roomy and cozy. You'll be amazed at how much stuff you can fit in it. My dad really likes the pick-up you get on the highway and doesn't feel any slag when he drives on the interstate. When I drove it, I was impressed with its handling. The new models are much better than the original models. He has mentioned to me that he doesn't like the view in the rearview mirror, the split window in the hatchback takes some getting used to. He has called me using the bluetooth speaker phone connection and it was very weak sounding, I could barely hear him. The hands free lock system is super sensitive and tries to know more about what you're doing than it should. It is very easy to unlock the car without wanting to (or lock it). I also found that the new Prius interior materials are a bit chinsy compared to the early models. Then again, I think that's a trend in car design right now because I've noticed it in Hondas and a couple other cards and my personal taste is eh on the materials currently being used.

Overall, I could take or leave the Prius, but my dad and my friend both love their cars and are happy with it.

one last note, as I think bigshoulders had made another point that was questioned, price difference, again maybe it is DC pricing, but when I was car shopping in Feb, there was a $5000 difference between the price of my MINI and the price of the Prius with equal features (actually more features in the MINI and it cost less). That is significant to me, but then again, I think $1000 is a savingsthat is considerable as well. but if you're set on the Prius and are only looking for information about that car only, so you're prepared and have full expectations when you get it, price savings doesn't really matter. and depending on your environmental philosophy, buying a fuel efficient used car (as mentioned by someone else in this thread) has far less impact on the planet than buying new. there are a lot of greenhouse gases that result from the manufacturing of new goods, as well a large amount of petroleum that goes into the manufacturing of electronics that people don't realize. a used car means no additional greenhouse gases or petroleum.

if you are looking to buy one because of its "environmental" value then don't bother. You will end up with a much lower carbon footprint or what not if you buy a used fuel efficient vehicle. I can't remember what the exact numbers are right now but a used car is way way more environmentally friendly then any new hybrid.

I just found an article that debunks the New Prius VS Used Car debate.

http://www.slate.com/id/2194989/?y=1

I'm actually glad people have been bringing these things up because it has given me a chance to do even more research and find answers to the misconceptions many people seem to have, myself included.

Isadorah, I suspect that if you were buying a car in February, you were hitting the period of "I'm freaking out because gas prices are rising and I need a hybrid now!". That caused dealers to be able to charge WAY over MSRP for hybrids. It has all settled down now and we're back to MSRP or less.

When I priced out the MINI for comparison I was actually still getting more features from the Prius, or at least more features I care about. It's hard to compare those two cars though, as they are vastly different. You're right, the $1000 savings is significant, but since I was never considering buying a MINI, it really isn't an issue. The one I was in had such horrible road noise I couldn't stand it. Not sure if they've improved in the last couple years. They sure seem fun to drive, though.

When I was in the market for a new car, I considered a Prius. But I don't like leather interior and the cloth interior felt really cheap to me. I decided to go for a new Nissan Altima. They don't sell the hybrid version of that car in my state, but I definitely would have considered it.

When I was in the market for a new car, I considered a Prius. But I don't like leather interior and the cloth interior felt really cheap to me. I decided to go for a new Nissan Altima. They don't sell the hybrid version of that car in my state, but I definitely would have considered it.

I will agree with you there. I thought my Corolla fabric interior felt a little cheap too. It has held up nicely so far though.

We would have gotten a prius if it was clad in pony fur.

I think pee and isadorah should have a graphic-off where they design their cars as extensions of their personality. and then we vote. And that's how Pee "decides" what car to get.

That suggested: there is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding hybrids vs diesel vs fuel efficiency blah blah blah blah.