Who's got a Prius?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even get me started on the incredible sense of entitlement I find on the streets of DC by Prius drivers! I am becoming obsessed! I am finding myself stalking them, before they cut me off, or pass me on the right, park wherever the hell they want or pull some other bullshit thing they do. The insane thing is, that it is always the hatchback priuses, never the sedan ones. The sedans seem to come with some manners, seem to know their place as just a car on the street. I know it sounds crazy to lump in an entire model of car like this, but I am really being terrorized by priuses during my daily commute.

That said, i'd get a Honda Fit. It is coming out as a hybrid next model year (or maybe its this model year?) in any event, it is supposed to be an awesome little car.

Full Disclosure: my favorite uncle has a prius, but he lives in Berkeley and everyone has one. So its ok. But the fact that people here buy them as a third (or 4th) vehicle for the sole purpose of driving in the HOV lane REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

sorry. I'm a little sensitive. I have prius issues.

if you are looking to buy one because of its "environmental" value then don't bother. You will end up with a much lower carbon footprint or what not if you buy a used fuel efficient vehicle. I can't remember what the exact numbers are right now but a used car is way way more environmentally friendly then any new hybrid.

In my not-particularly-expert opinion, hybrids aren't all that they're cracked up to be. If you look at the mileage numbers, they're really not all that better than what you'd get from a regular fuel-efficient car. If you're thinking of buying a Prius, you're obviously not looking for something all that roomy, so look at other small cars too and compare their fuel efficiency.

To repeat, however: this is my not-particularly-expert opinion.

I'm waiting for something powered by electricity (solely) or compressed air or some other thing.

There's a very interesting article in the September issue of Wired about a guy who has a plan for electric vehicles with easily swappable batteries, so you could go through a drive-through, automated battery shop when your power's running low and simply get a new one. Payment for batteries and charging would be via a structure similar to that used for cellular phone service.

This system is being tested in smaller areas like Israel, and I believe Denmark and maybe Hawaii. If it catches on, it could spread to larger areas, and hopefully the lower 48 (eventually).

edit: found the article online

In my not-particularly-expert opinion, hybrids aren't all that they're cracked up to be. If you look at the mileage numbers, they're really not all that better than what you'd get from a regular fuel-efficient car. If you're thinking of buying a Prius, you're obviously not looking for something all that roomy, so look at other small cars too and compare their fuel efficiency.

To repeat, however: this is my not-particularly-expert opinion.

I'm waiting for something powered by electricity (solely) or compressed air or some other thing.

There's a very interesting article in the September issue of Wired about a guy who has a plan for electric vehicles with easily swappable batteries, so you could go through a drive-through, automated battery shop when your power's running low and simply get a new one. Payment for batteries and charging would be via a structure similar to that used for cellular phone service.

This system is being tested in smaller areas like Israel, and I believe Denmark and maybe Hawaii. If it catches on, it could spread to larger areas, and hopefully the lower 48 (eventually).

edit: found the article online

That is NOT the guy I used to hang out with in college who had the same exact idea in 1990. He's gonna be pissed when he sees this.

Well, as far as the "small car" comment, I've been in a Prius and was amazed at how roomy it is on the inside while still having a small footprint. And the design of the interior makes it able to haul unbelievable things, both in weight and dimension. I've read some incredible stories about what people have hauled in their cars. So I'm not worried about that.

I also haven't seen anything about an increased carbon footprint that hasn't been disputed. They may expend more petroleum in the manufacturing process but more than make up for it in its lifetime through increased efficiency. I read a different Wired article that talks about how much energy it takes to build a Prius, and it said the production of a Prius emits more CO2 than building a traditional car. What I don't see when people are making those statements is that building a standard car will emit a little less CO2 but then emits much more than a hybrid does once it's on the road. And I haven't seen concrete evidence from a source I trust to change my mind about that, although I'm definitely willing to read anything anyone has on that.

Besides, I'm not only interested in it for increased fuel efficiency, since I've got a Corolla that gets about 35 mpg, but for the decrease in emissions. The less gas I'm using the less crap I'm spewing out into the environment. I'd also be happy to join in a movement that might help to make the hybrid technology more commonplace and give the auto companies even more incentive to push further toward an all electric option. (But don't we burn fossil fuels to generate electricity unless we go off the grid?) And the price may be higher than standard little cars that are fuel efficient, but those little cars don't have the cargo space the Prius does, nor do they come standard with some of the cool features the Prius does. Besides, I don't like the way most of them look, which, yes, is important to me too. There's a reason I want to buy a new car, or at least a used car no more than a couple years old, no matter what it is. So I won't be buying a 1997 Tercel...doesn't matter if it has a lower overall carbon footprint because it's used, I don't want a 10 year old car. I drive too much to want to worry about reliability. I want something with low (or no) miles, and a hefty warranty like I'll get with a new Toyota.

In the end, the price of the Prius package I'd want to get is about even with what my husband just paid for his Saturn Vue, which is a decent car with some neat gadgets, but gets about 20-25 mpg less on average than the Prius and amazingly seems to have less usable cargo space. And with a 100,000 mile warranty on the electric battery (which very few people have even had to replace by that point), the argument for expensive battery replacement goes out the window. I read about taxi drivers in Canada going 250K+ miles without a battery issue. Plus, CT has a sales tax exemption on sales of cars getting over 40 mpg, as well as a property tax exemption, which right there saves me a couple thousand dollars.

So, I guess I'm more on board than I thought I was. I've been reading a lot and I just don't see nearly as many negatives as there are positives. Sorry if this seems ramble-y....it's late!

Jen, I promise I would not turn into an asshole driver just because I'm driving a Prius. Something tells me those people are assholes no matter what car they're driving. :)

That is NOT the guy I used to hang out with in college who had the same exact idea in 1990. He's gonna be pissed when he sees this.

And it's not the guy who just quit his job where I work to "break into the electric car field".

Here's a clear case of apples and oranges in the carbon footprint debate:

http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/m...sies_09usedcars

So basically, even though making a traditional type car uses less CO2, the hybrid quickly closes the gap, but they're too expensive so I should buy an early 90s Festiva with no power steering that crumples like a tin can in an accident. :thumbup :lol

Don't even get me started on the incredible sense of entitlement I find on the streets of DC by Prius drivers! I am becoming obsessed! I am finding myself stalking them, before they cut me off, or pass me on the right, park wherever the hell they want or pull some other bullshit thing they do. The insane thing is, that it is always the hatchback priuses, never the sedan ones. The sedans seem to come with some manners, seem to know their place as just a car on the street. I know it sounds crazy to lump in an entire model of car like this, but I am really being terrorized by priuses during my daily commute.

Full Disclosure: my favorite uncle has a prius, but he lives in Berkeley and everyone has one. So its ok. But the fact that people here buy them as a third (or 4th) vehicle for the sole purpose of driving in the HOV lane REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

sorry. I'm a little sensitive. I have prius issues.

fwiw, the only Prius they sell currently (and have since 2004) is the hatchback:

2008-prius-hybrid-51.jpg

the Sedan was the old model sold from 2001 to 2003:

2001-03-Toyota-Prius-01812221990001.jpg

also, re: for the sole purpose of driving in the HOV lane in the Bay Area... good luck getting one of the permits for doing so... my friend moved to Berkeley in June of '06 with an '07 Civic Hybrid and said there is no way he'll get one of the permit stickers for his car anytime soon. they ran out of those permits within a few months apparently.

In CA, they're not planning on ever issuing any more of those stickers. Not sure about other states.

I've been thinking about the whole carbon footprint argument. I'm by no means an expert, even after reading as much as I can find on the hybrid subject. But the numbers just don't make sense to me. In the Wired article I mentioned, it states "Making a Prius consumes 113 million BTUs, according to sustainability engineer Pablo P

also, re: for the sole purpose of driving in the HOV lane in the Bay Area... good luck getting one of the permits for doing so... my friend moved to Berkeley in June of '06 with an '07 Civic Hybrid and said there is no way he'll get one of the permit stickers for his car anytime soon. they ran out of those permits within a few months apparently.

The "here" refers to DC area, where I believe hybrids still get you a "ghost passenger" on the HOV lanes. I-66 is HOV-3, so you still have to carpool, however.

Actually in VA, they increased the HOV2 lane to HOV3 lane, so now you can drive in the lane (i think) if you are in a hybrid with ANOTHER person, you can't drive in the HOV lane by yourself in a hybrid.

We actually drove a Corolla Hybrid when we were car shopping and it was a SWEEEET car. I really wanted it. but it was expensive and we needed two cars, so we got two fuel efficient mazdas. If i was buying a new car in the next year i'd seriously consider a new VW with the "clean diesel" and run bio in it. We have a family member who works for GM so we could have gotten a very good deal on one of the new Saturn hybrids, but honestly they have terrible reviews and it seems that GM just doesn't have the whole fuel efficient concept down yet.

and one more on the prius, my uncle has one, and i sat in the back seat for almost a week as a passenger while we drove around the bay area sight seeing and it was quite comfortable and I'm tall. I think it is a great little car but damn if the people who drive them SUCK! :-) I'm sure that Uncle Pete and Jen Peelangoo will be the exceptions.

Edit: I was passed in the BREAKDOWN lane by a white prius hatchback this morning on my way to work. I shook my fist.

edit 2: what ben said.

Besides, I'm not only interested in it for increased fuel efficiency, since I've got a Corolla that gets about 35 mpg, but for the decrease in emissions.

Exactly. I think one of the issues that is often overlooked is that with a hybrid there are no emissions at low speeds or when you are idling.

I have had a Honda Civic hybrid for four years and love it (although I changed jobs about two years ago and now mostly take public transportation to work).

I know for a fact that the Mini Cooper can achieve better gas mileage than a Prius. Ask Isadorah.

The Prius doesn't feel as solidly well-made as a German-built Cooper, and costs more than the Cooper.

Not only that... the battery life is something to consider. Imagine, after finally making your last car payment after 60 mos. only to shell out an additional $5-7 to overhaul the array of batteries these things require.

Not economically sound. Unless you have piles of money, and a sense of entitlement to throw around.

Kevin

I know for a fact that the Mini Cooper can achieve better gas mileage than a Prius. Ask Isadorah.

The Prius doesn't feel as solidly well-made as a German-built Cooper, and costs more than the Cooper.

Not only that... the battery life is something to consider. Imagine, after finally making your last car payment after 60 mos. only to shell out an additional $5-7 to overhaul the array of batteries these things require.

Not economically sound. Unless you have piles of money, and a sense of entitlement to throw around.

Kevin

"Array of batteries"? You mean the standard battery and the electric battery? There's a 100K warranty on the electric battery, and most people that have well over that amount have never replaced one. If they need replacing, they don't cost $5-7K, they cost less than $2K, and much less than that on ebay or out of a junkyard. Not concerned at all about that.

Here's one for $800 right now.

I don't like Coopers. I've ridden in them, they're totally uncomfortable for me. 28/37 EPA rating versus 45/48? How is that more mileage? Especially when the many, many things I've read from happy Prius owners have acheived more like 55-60mpg (photo evidence included). And if you practice certain driving methods you can get that up to 80mpg (photo evidence included in those claims too). I wouldn't go so far as to do what they do, but 50 mpg is fine with me. And if you read my other posts you'd see that gas mileage is not the only reason I like the Prius. I like the low emissions. I like the style. I like the features. I like the 4 doors. And yes, I even like the price. The model I want is not outrageously expensive. It would be about $23,000 total. AND, I will get a sales tax exemption and a property tax exemption, something that I would not get if I bought a Mini. That's a couple grand for sales tax up front, and $500-$600 per year for the property tax exemption right there.

So, I would suggest you do a little more research on the car before you bash it with erroneous information. I had some of the same misconceptions about them too until I did some checking, as you can see from my other posts.

I'll take my piles of money (I wish) and sense of entitlement away from your presence now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also have first hand experience of the solidness of the car. A Prius hit my Corolla going 40 mph and we all walked away. I love my Corolla anyway, and never have any problems with it, even as it's approaching 100K miles. My first choice on a new car would automatically be a Toyota.

MINIs are fun to drive but we got rid of ours when the same two things broke twice on it. Scott now drives an '08 Scion xB. Also, the mileage on the MINI was not that great -- we had an '03 COOPER S.