Anyone have one recently? Anyone go to these regularly? I need tips, suggestions, etc.

I think we're having one on Saturday, although aside from gathering piles of stuff we don't want and talking about posting an ad on craigslist, we've done no prep.

P.S. Anyone want to buy hundreds of toys, cds, records, baby furniture, baby clothes, etc.?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had only one garage sale and that was with my sister. I made the mistake of trying to drink with her the night before and ended up with a three day hangover. Susan ran the sale while I stayed in bed. She gave me shit about it until the day she died.

That said, I have a garage full of stuff ready to go, so I will be interested in the helpful information revealed in this thread.

get your stuff out early. most people who go to yard sales start early to get all the bargans. put up some cardboard signs around the neighborhood.

get your stuff out early. most people who go to yard sales start early to get all the bargans. put up some cardboard signs around the neighborhood.

If you say you're going to start at 7:00, people will be there at 6. You are within your rights to shoot them.

my folks sold my grandfather's house and they had a garage/yard sale to clear out the stuff we weren't keeping w/ the family. sale was supposed to start on a friday. on thursday, they had to open up the garage to organize the stuff and clean it up, etc...people showed up off the street while driving by and they had sold almost 1/2 of the stuff before the first official day. crazy.

If by "hundreds of toys, cds, records, baby furniture, baby clothes, etc." you mean "vintage pre-CBS era Jazzmasters for 1/1000 their real worth" I will be there.

How about the ugliest Gibson Explorer you could ever hope to see for $700 and two huge boxes of obscure pop-punk 7"s records?

- advertise on craigslist

- partner w/ neighbors- multi family kind of thing

- plaster signs all over high traffic areas close by

- don't turn any offer down

- drink heavily before during and after

Make sure JUDE shows up. That dude is loaded.
"is loaded" = "doesn't want any of your coddamned junk"

This is correct; I don't do off the rack or garage/yard/rummage sales.

I will however send my cleaning lady out on occasion to try and score cool old records and/or vintage 12" Star Wars action figures at such things.

I can't BELIEVE you're getting rid of those.

FWIW, I'm keeping the third box. Although I'm debating the merits of selling records at a yard sale vs. selling them on eBay.

Specifically, if I created a separate listing on craigslist advertising hundreds of cheap musics, would people show up?

as you should...dude, selling those at a yard sale is nuts. a little more work to put them on ebay, but i bet you'd get more $ for them.

I wouldn't sell anything worth real $, but I've got some real crap mixed in there too. But then who wants to drive to my house at 9 am and buy a crappy record no one's ever heard of?

Of course, I just browsed thru some eBay listings last night and saw that 2 Descendents 7"s I have went for a combined $110. And I didn't ever consider them to be worth anything.

Btw, did I mention that we're selling baby furniture? Anyone want some baby furniture?