• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean, what records are you getting rid of?

P.S. I've been on a Descendents bender lately, so I'll take those two records off your hands. You're welcome.

Oh, and my advice is to say "NO EARLYBIRDS" in your ads. People will show up 2 hours early as you're dragging your first box out to the yard.

Oh, and my advice is to say "NO EARLYBIRDS" in your ads. People will show up 2 hours early as you're dragging your first box out to the yard.

Good advice - but don't assume they'll listen. We had people showing up at 5am for a 7am yard sale once. It was San Diego and they were Mexicans, but still.

Good advice - but don't assume they'll listen. We had people showing up at 5am for a 7am yard sale once. It was San Diego and they were Mexicans, but still.

Could you please photoshop me up a movie premier-esque marquee that says "Thanks for another racist, hate-filled post!"?

Sean, what records are you getting rid of?

Good question. I need to make a list. I just kinda realized I'd rather sell records that sit in a box, unplayed and use the money to buy a new guitar that I can't play for shit. Or something.

The Descendents records, btw, are crap. Two 7"s from the first reunion album (I'm the One, When I Get Old). There is no reason they should be selling for that crazy amount. Although they both are colored vinyl*.

* cue the marquee

It's shocking that the ones from a later album are selling for so much. I love that record though, that's what I've been listening to a lot lately. That and Inquisition's "Revolution, I Think It's Called Inspiration". I listen to it in the car on the way to work and by the time I get here I want to smash things and start a riot.

I've told people to come back at 8 when the sale starts. I won't sell to anyone before the time stated on the signs and ads.

I've run a lot of yard sales and done pretty well.

Make big bins or tables were everything on the table is a certain price and/or buy x # of items for $x. That way, you can get rid of a bunch of stuff in groups.

I have never labeled my stuff with prices, things seem to go faster when they just ask or just offer. If they see something with a labeled price, it may turn them off from asking. That being said, make sure everyone working the sale knows your lowest threshhold for important items.

Remember that you don't want any of this stuff and that some dollars, however meager, are better than no dollars and having to drive everything over to Salvation Army.

Give good deals to small children whose parents have given them money to spend at the sale.

Alison, those are really great ideas! My sister is planning to have a yard sale (we call them "garage sales" here; no front yards!) in the next month or so, all of that will be really helpful. I especially like the idea about grouping stuff, that makes so much sense. Thanks!

That's my wife's idea...a big box of paperback books, all $whatever, a bin of toy cars, all $whatever, etc. Sounds good to me, 'cause I don't want to label 50 stuffed animals, 150 plastic little people things...

My oldest son helped my parents out with their yard sale last summer - he entertained all the kids that showed up with their parents and got them to buy crap. He's got that job this time as well. Of course, that was a neighborhood yard sale, so he also ended up buying a picture of a boat and some ugly wooden witch/Halloween decoration thing.

Give good deals to small children whose parents have given them money to spend at the sale.

this is such a great little suggestion. as a kid, one of my favorite things about summer was all the garage sales. i amassed a large chunk of my earlier books, comics, LP's and toys from digging into my piggy bank and hitting them up.

i still stop at them every so often for the hope of finding the odd treasure.

I'm with Alison. I always do boxes of paperbacks, a quarter each, and boxes of hardcovers, a dollar each. CDs $1 each. Anything that seems to fall into the same category can be grouped together on a table with one price and one big sign. It's a nice time saver. However, I do like to have everything represented with either a price sticker or in those groups, because I know that if I'm at a tag sale and I don't see a price on something I generally assume they think it's worth more than it is and I don't even ask about it.

FWIW, I'm keeping the third box. Although I'm debating the merits of selling records at a yard sale vs. selling them on eBay.

Specifically, if I created a separate listing on craigslist advertising hundreds of cheap musics, would people show up?

Good question. I need to make a list. I just kinda realized I'd rather sell records that sit in a box, unplayed and use the money to buy a new guitar that I can't play for shit. Or something.

The Descendents records, btw, are crap. Two 7"s from the first reunion album (I'm the One, When I Get Old). There is no reason they should be selling for that crazy amount. Although they both are colored vinyl*.

* cue the marquee

If you want to PM me a list with details (dates/labels/condition), I'd give you a fair price.

PS I have references :shifty

if you advertise, people will show up early no matter what you say. my advice: sell to them! i've had tons of yard sales and gone to tons of yard sales, for years. there are serious yard-salers out there, they're on a mission, and they've mapped out a route. if you turn them away you'll never see them again, and you'll literally have fewer buyers because of it & more stuff left at the end.

p.s. have a blast. yard sales are a riot.