Saturday Night Live

yes, I agree that the Obama impersonation is not great. He looks the part but the bits typically don't go anywhere. They were somewhat funny last season when they picked on the media's love of all things obama but this year hasn't made me laugh.

Regarding the Palin, I still fail to see why you don't find it funny. Mean? I really don't think it's much of an exaggeration. Have you seen her actual interviews? I find them to be almost as amusing.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, I agree that the Obama impersonation is not great. He looks the part but the bits typically don't go anywhere. They were somewhat funny last season when they picked on the media's love of all things obama but this year hasn't made me laugh.

Regarding the Palin, I still fail to see why you don't find it funny. Mean? I really don't think it's much of an exaggeration. Have you seen her actual interviews? I find them to be almost as amusing.

I'm not saying it's not funny AT ALL, but to me it's just too easy and simple.

The funny part is that, YES, it's funny that someone that "simple" could be VP. Or is it?

Obviously, Palin is much smarter than SNL is portraying, but I understand the parody of her being a simple-minded suburban Mom. But to me she's too relatable to make me wanna laugh. My Sister reminds me of her. Many Moms I know remind me of her. And these females I know are very smart and capable of handling many responsibilities. These Moms I know are inspirational....much like I think Palin is inspirational.

I don't think of these people as being dumb bimbos, so I have a hard time believing Palin is. So I don't really "get" the joke I guess.

Obviously, Palin is much smarter than SNL is portraying, but I understand the parody of her being a simple-minded suburban Mom. But to me she's too relatable to make me wanna laugh. My Sister reminds me of her. Many Moms I know remind me of her. And these females I know are very smart and capable of handling many responsibilities. These Moms I know are inspirational....much like I think Palin is inspirational.

just a question.... would you have used the word "males" above if you were talking about men?

So, is SNL still just working out the kinks?

I'm a big fan of some of the players, but it's just lacking something so far. A few bits have been amusing, but the show overall is just sputtering. I cannot warm up to Poehler and Myers on the Update...I long for the days of Dennis Miller and Norm McDonald.

And we don't need to make another political thread, but c'mon....the piling on by SNL on McCain/Palin is embarrassing. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if the skits were funny, but Fey as Palin is so incredibly weak (Tina Fey writes funny, but CANNOT act funny....she just isn't funny....at all). And Armisen (who is very talented and comical) as Obama has NOTHING funny whatsoever about it....is he TRYING to do something funny with the character...it doesn't seem like it.

Saturday night, it seemed like Armisen's Obama was playing the straight man to Hammond's goofy, wierd, eccentric McCain character.

As usual, Obama's getting a free-pass.

Biden, Mr. Foot-in-his-mouth if there ever was one, has not been referenced one time in all 3 shows....are you kidding me?!

wow.

snl slants to the left and is not that funny!

The sad thing about all of this is that they used some of Palin's actual answers for the skit and they were funnier than the stuff written for it. As to Obama they guy they have playing him is weak, but also as more than one person has noted, his character, his demeanor do not lend themselves to parody as much as McCains does. Palin is in a class all by herself on this one.

The sad thing about all of this is that they used some of Palin's actual answers for the skit and they were funnier than the stuff written for it. As to Obama they guy they have playing him is weak, but also as more than one person has noted, his character, his demeanor do not lend themselves to parody as much as McCains does. Palin is in a class all by herself on this one.

It's odd that Conservatives would find SNL's first 3 weeks to be overly-critical of McCain and Palin. So far this year:

Palin: Ditzy. Dingy. Not smart. Happy like she's popping Zoloft pills every hour. Husband has sex with daughters.

McCain: Old. Very old. Incredibly old. Dinosarur old. Senile. Weird. Scary. Eccentric.

Obama: Big ears.

Biden: (nothing)

It's odd that Conservatives would find SNL's first 3 weeks to be overly-critical of McCain and Palin. So far this year:

Palin: Ditzy. Dingy. Not smart. Happy like she's popping Zoloft pills every hour. Husband has sex with daughters.

McCain: Old. Very old. Incredibly old. Dinosarur old. Senile. Weird. Scary. Eccentric.

They nailed it, huh? Except Obama and the ear thing. I never noticed he had big ears.

I don't think of these people as being dumb bimbos, so I have a hard time believing Palin is. So I don't really "get" the joke I guess.

OK. So. I am a simple-minded suburban mom and the only thing Sarah Palin has inspired me to do vote for Obama.

Oh, and this simple-minded suburban mom thinks Tina Fey is brilliant and hilariously funny.

It's odd that you're surprised by this.

This is turning into a biased political thread.

I saw a statistic that said, regarding the first McCain/Obama debate, McCain supporters thought McCain won 70-2 percent, and Obama supporters thought Obama won 68-3 percent.

We're all guilty of it.

SNL has NOT always been this one-sided. The Bush/Gore debate skits were fantastic....and they bashed both candidates very well. Same with the Bush/Kerry election. Carvey's parody of HW Bush was kinda harsh, but damn funny.

I think the problem is that SNL hasn't figured out how to make Obama funny. If he's elected, I'm sure they'll figure it out over the next 4 years. But right now, they're not skilled enough.

SNL has NOT always been this one-sided. The Bush/Gore debate skits were fantastic....and they bashed both candidates very well. Same with the Bush/Kerry election. Carvey's parody of HW Bush was kinda harsh, but damn funny.

I think the problem is that SNL hasn't figured out how to make Obama funny. If he's elected, I'm sure they'll figure it out over the next 4 years. But right now, they're not skilled enough.

SNL is on the side of making a funny show. Like you mention, they've been willing to take stabs at Kerry, Gore & both Clintons in the past. I think it's just that they haven't figured out how to make Obama funny/comic.

But in their defense, I have yet to see a funny Obama impersonation anywhere. Some guys can get the cadence pretty accurate, and there are no doubt some funny skits/videos out there related to Obama - but they're funny not because of the impersonation, just the situation/topic.

Maybe someone needs to come up with an impersonation ala Chevy Chase's Gerald Ford. Didn't look like him, didn't sound like him... but Chase was hilarious in his portayal of Ford.

Maybe someone needs to come up with an impersonation ala Chevy Chase's Gerald Ford. Didn't look like him, didn't sound like him... but Chase was hilarious in his portayal of Ford.

Yeah, and he ended up with a serious addiction to prescription painkillers for treating all the aches and pains caused by years of pratfalls. :stunned

I'm not saying it's not funny AT ALL, but to me it's just too easy and simple.

The funny part is that, YES, it's funny that someone that "simple" could be VP. Or is it?

Humor is pretty subjective - but I think your central premise or argument in defense of Palin's treatment is pretty weak. SNL & the Daily Show lean left - no argument there. However, both take on the absurdities of each party pretty evenly in my opinion. The reason that Palin is getting dumped on and Biden is not is not a commentary on SNL's leftist leanings or simple and sexist treatment of Palin (and I am not accusing you of saying it is sexist). I believe it to be for a few reasons:

SNL & The Daily Show satirize the media spin - the media is pretty obsessed with Palin right now.

McCain/Palin are limiting Palin's availability to the media, which intensifies the media's obsession, which SNL reflects.

When Palin has spoken, it has been a train wreck (and people in the McCain team have admitted as much) which gives SNL free reign to poke fun at it.

During the primaries, SNL focuses mostly on the Democratic primary because it was the central topic of politics. I don't remember people up in arms about Romney or Huckabee not getting enough parodies on the show. They painted Hilary as shrill - seemed pretty simple-minded and easy, but I guess that is where they thought the humor lied, in the exaggeration of the simple and easy.

The fact that Fey used some of Palin's words verbatim in her satire of the Katie Couric interview for laughs (and got them, laughs that is) says to me that the problem isn't SNL's unfair/biased/demeaning depiction of Palin but rather SHE IS FREAKIN' NOT QUALIFIED TO BE VICE PRESIDENT!

There is absolutely nothing I find inspirational about her. Not one thing. And I'm suppose to be the type of person that she caters to. I generally lean conservative. I am an evangelical Christian. I go to church regularly, and SHE FREAKIN' SCARES ME.

She kind of reminds me of my oldest sister. Guess what? I wouldn't vote for my sister for Vice President. Why? Because she is freakin' unqualified. There are a lot of nice women, and a lot of successful men, at my church that I do find inspirational and commendable and you know what? I wouldn't vote for any of them for Vice President. Why? Because none of them are qualified. And a couple of them have actually been to Russia, which would make them more qualified to talk Foreign Policy.

She may be smart - but I don't think she's smart enough to be Vice President, and if her intelligence doesn't come across in the media or in interviews or in debates - well, that's the least of her problems. I don't know if I'd vote for her to be on the PTA Board in my town.

Sorry, but I had to vent. I told my wife the other day that Palin makes Dan Quayle overqualified.

Humor is pretty subjective - but I think your central premise or argument in defense of Palin's treatment is pretty weak. SNL & the Daily Show lean left - no argument there. However, both take on the absurdities of each party pretty evenly in my opinion. The reason that Palin is getting dumped on and Biden is not is not a commentary on SNL's leftist leanings or simple and sexist treatment of Palin (and I am not accusing you of saying it is sexist). I believe it to be for a few reasons:

SNL & The Daily Show satirize the media spin - the media is pretty obsessed with Palin right now.

McCain/Palin are limiting Palin's availability to the media, which intensifies the media's obsession, which SNL reflects.

When Palin has spoken, it has been a train wreck (and people in the McCain team have admitted as much) which gives SNL free reign to poke fun at it.

During the primaries, SNL focuses mostly on the Democratic primary because it was the central topic of politics. I don't remember people up in arms about Romney or Huckabee not getting enough parodies on the show. They painted Hilary as shrill - seemed pretty simple-minded and easy, but I guess that is where they thought the humor lied, in the exaggeration of the simple and easy.

The fact that Fey used some of Palin's words verbatim in her satire of the Katie Couric interview for laughs (and got them, laughs that is) says to me that the problem isn't SNL's unfair/biased/demeaning depiction of Palin but rather SHE IS FREAKIN' NOT QUALIFIED TO BE VICE PRESIDENT!

There is absolutely nothing I find inspirational about her. Not one thing. And I'm suppose to be the type of person that she caters to. I generally lean conservative. I am an evangelical Christian. I go to church regularly, and SHE FREAKIN' SCARES ME.

She kind of reminds me of my oldest sister. Guess what? I wouldn't vote for my sister for Vice President. Why? Because she is freakin' unqualified. There are a lot of nice women, and a lot of successful men, at my church that I do find inspirational and commendable and you know what? I wouldn't vote for any of them for Vice President. Why? Because none of them are qualified. And a couple of them have actually been to Russia, which would make them more qualified to talk Foreign Policy.

She may be smart - but I don't think she's smart enough to be Vice President, and if her intelligence doesn't come across in the media or in interviews or in debates - well, that's the least of her problems. I don't know if I'd vote for her to be on the PTA Board in my town.

Sorry, but I had to vent. I told my wife the other day that Palin makes Dan Quayle overqualified.

spot f'n on :worship