Saturday Night Live

There is absolutely nothing I find inspirational about her. Not one thing. And I'm suppose to be the type of person that she caters to. I generally lean conservative. I am an evangelical Christian. I go to church regularly, and SHE FREAKIN' SCARES ME.

Sorry, but I had to vent. I told my wife the other day that Palin makes Dan Quayle overqualified.

If you are in fact a Conservative Christian, Obama's VERY liberal abortion record and the thought of who he might appoint to the Supreme Court doesn't scare you?

The fact that Palin was successful enough to put herself in a position to be one of the very few females to be asked to be a VP in American history isn't inspiring? The fact she was told many months before her last child was born that he'd have Down's Syndrome, and she welcomed it isn't inspiring? The way she handled her teenage daughter's pregnancy isn't inspiring? The way her and her husband work together and support each other insn't inspiring?

And I agree that right now she's not qualified to be VP....especially foreign affairs. But I'd argue she knows more about forighn policy than Ronald Reagan did.

I, for one, hope Obama hires some smart people.....his lack of experience isn't much greater than Palin's, and he's aiming to be President!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Palin was successful enough to put herself in a position to be one of the very few females to be asked to be a VP in American history isn't inspiring? The fact she was told many months before her last child was born that he'd have Down's Syndrome, and she welcomed it isn't inspiring? The way she handled her teenage daughter's pregnancy isn't inspiring? The way her and her husband work together and support each other insn't inspiring?

"No" on all counts.

If you are in fact a Conservative Christian, Obama's VERY liberal abortion record and the thought of who he might appoint to the Supreme Court doesn't scare you?

And I agree that right now she's not qualified to be VP....especially foreign affairs. But I'd argue she knows more about forighn policy than Ronald Reagan did.

I, for one, hope Obama hires some smart people.....his lack of experience isn't much greater than Palin's, and he's aiming to be President!

You rock dude. Right on.

what exactly would you prefer?

Roe v. Wade will NEVER be overturned in our lifetimes (if ever), so what about Obama's possible apointees scares you?

:unsure

and like cryptique said... no to all of the above.

p.s. 90% of women who are informed their child has Down Syndrome have an abortion. don't try and tell me that those 10% who don't are somehow morally superior.

what exactly would you prefer?

Roe v. Wade will NEVER be overturned in our lifetimes (if ever), so what about Obama's possible apointees scares you?

I could very easily see it being overturned with a Republican nomination. That is a part of what is so frightening.

p.s. 90% of women who are informed their child has Down Syndrome have an abortion. don't try and tell me that those 10% who don't are somehow morally superior.

Is that true? That's kind of sad. I don't know if people who elect to have a child with Down Syndrome are morally superior but it is certainly admirable in many cases.

absolutely not! you and the govenment need to stay the hell out of my uterus! my body, my decision. period!

I could very easily see it being overturned with a Republican nomination. That is a part of what is so frightening.

Is that true? That's kind of sad. I don't know if people who elect to have a child with Down Syndrome are morally superior but it is certainly admirable in many cases.

as much as it's threatened by Democrats to try and win elections, I honestly just do not see it happening... i mean by all means, maintain it's a concern, i just personally cannot see it ever happening. if it were to, the outrage and public revolt would be quite incredible.

and yes, it's true... i don't really see the other 10% as admirable though... maybe in terms of their own well being and challenges, but not towards the child and tough life they will lead.

Some people still believe in the notion of separation of church and state.

Personally, I'm against abortion - my 50% stake in the decision with my mate will always be against it. However, I do not believe in legislating that decision for others.

Besides, if your concern is to make abortion illegal, you should very well know by now that the Republicans disingenuously bought your vote long ago for an issue they have no intent on seeing through.

If we're going to discuss the sanctity of life, let's not reduce it merely to abortion. Let's talk about poverty, education, healthcare for the babies and parents you legislate to have the child. Let's talk about adoption agencies and other social services. Let's talk about the death penalty. Let's talk about war and civilian casualties. Let's talk about commerce and trade. Let's have a critical and informative dialogue about the sanctity of life and how abortion and abortion laws represent a only one piece of a larger worldview about life and the right to life and the equality of life, all lives, black, white, poor, rich, American, immigrant, Iraqi, Sudanese. When the Conservative Republicans starts acting like a Sudanese child or a Haitian woman's life is inherently worth the same as an unborn baby, then they can lecture me on abortion. Otherwise, it's a talking point they manipulate "conservatives" or "moral conservatives" with. I will not reduce my vote for the most important human being on the world because of one issue.

I don't support everything about Obama. There is a lot I disagree with him over. I have never truly felt "at peace" with any presidential candidate since I turned 18 and was able to vote. I vote my conscious, and it has NEVER not had conflict with the candidates. And I do not characterize myself as a "Conservative Christian". That's a label that white, American mainstream Protestants are given (or choose for themselves) which often has more political than religious implications. I would characterize myself as a Orthodox, Protestant, Evangelical, Global Christian.

Am I concerned about who Obama might choose for Supreme Court? Yes. I have always been concerned about each and every candidate and who they might choose for the Supreme Court? You know what? Obama picked Joseph Biden to be his Vice President. Solid choice. John McCain picked Sarah Palin to be his Vice President. Poor choice. Who gives me more confidence in their ability to choose a solid Supreme Court Justice? You tell me based upon the argument I just presented.

I'd find her ascension to Vice President nominee to be more inspiring if I believed she deserved and earned it. I do not believe that to be the case. The other examples you mentioned are commendable. Are they inspiring? Not to me. Not to be Vice President. I'm sorry, but the way she "handled" her daughter's pregnancy was not inspiring. Spin it however you want, showboating her daughter and the father of the baby is not inspiring.

I also hope that Obama, should he win, picks smart people - it'd be an improvement over Bush and McCain's VP selection. Yes, Obama is inexperienced in many areas, but he has thus far demonstrated to me both with his rhetoric and his standing in the world that he is the right person right now for the world the next president will inherit. And our standing in the world does matter to me because we live in a world where America cannot go at it alone. And when I hear from my Missionary and Peace Corp friends in Haiti, in South America, and in India, they provide a healthy counterbalance of what Christians and servants around the world think of George Bush, the War in Iraq, Torture, and American Politics.

I have given McCain chance after chance after chance to impress me. He has not. I miss the McCain that took on Bush in '00. He was someone I probably could have gotten behind. The Sarah Palin pick was the final nail in the coffin that already had too many nails.

Personally, I'm against abortion - my 50% stake in the decision with my mate will always be against it. However, I do not believe in legislating that decision for others.

ditto.

I've never understood how being pro-choice is considered a liberal idea and is supported by liberals. Having individual rights, not having the government control your life or tell you what you can and cannot do, IS conservatism..

If we're going to discuss the sanctity of life, let's not reduce it merely to abortion. Let's talk about poverty, education, healthcare for the babies and parents you legislate to have the child. Let's talk about adoption agencies and other social services. Let's talk about the death penalty. Let's talk about war and civilian casualties. Let's talk about commerce and trade. Let's have a critical and informative dialogue about the sanctity of life and how abortion and abortion laws represent a only one piece of a larger worldview about life and the right to life and the equality of life, all lives, black, white, poor, rich, American, immigrant, Iraqi, Sudanese. When the Conservative Republicans starts acting like a Sudanese child or a Haitian woman's life is inherently worth the same as an unborn baby, then they can lecture me on abortion. Otherwise, it's a talking point they manipulate "conservatives" or "moral conservatives" with. I will not reduce my vote for the most important human being on the world because of one issue.

Wow. :omg I think I have a new favorite VCer!

I've never understood how being pro-choice is considered a liberal idea and is supported by liberals. Having individual rights, not having the government control your life or tell you what you can and cannot do, IS conservatism..

then why are so man conservatives against being pro-choice? that's what I don't get. less regulation for some, more regulation for others.

Gosh I hate that fucking bullshit.

Like Liberals and Democrats are the only ones who care and are compassionate. What a joke. Your argument sucks.

then why are so man conservatives against being pro-choice? that's what I don't get. less regulation for some, more regulation for others.

That's a good question. I guess if you look at it one way, it's not really the individual rights of the mother, it's the rights of the child that goes against conservatism... The child has no say in the matter, so they are losing their individual rights.. A very complicated matter abortion is.. (now I sound like yoda)..

Like Liberals and Democrats are the only ones who care and are compassionate. What a joke. Your argument sucks.

Thanks for at least saying "Gosh"!

For the record, Youtube is the best thing to ever happen to SNL. Now all I have to do is wait until Sunday or Monday to only watch the funny clips and skip the rest.

actually he's one of the few people in this thread talking total sense...

he didn't say liberals and/or dems were the only one who care, blah blah blah. he was pointing out blatant hypocrisies amongst much of the pro-life crowd.

Wow. :omg I think I have a new favorite VCer!

ditto!

I think your comment says more about the state of modern "conservatism" than anything else. That movement was long ago hijacked by a constituency with a wholly different agenda.

These days, it's the "liberals" who are conservatives. The "conservatives" are reactionaries.

Your counterargument is worse. You didn't even bother to refute the point.

SNL has NOT always been this one-sided. The Bush/Gore debate skits were fantastic....and they bashed both candidates very well. Same with the Bush/Kerry election. Carvey's parody of HW Bush was kinda harsh, but damn funny.

SNL has ALWAYS been one-sided when portraying political figures, from Dan Akroyd

[intolerant] behavior will not change anyone's mind. There needs to be understanding and we need to see what is common between us as humans, not take hardcore stances against one another.

Just wanted to quote/paraphrase myself from another thread.

Roe v. Wade WON"T be over-turned, nor do I expect or want it to. But extreme limitations or elimination of 3rd tri-mester abortions would be reasonable. Not being able to kill a baby AFTER birth doesn't seem like too much to ask. No way in hell would Obama appoint a judge who'd be in favor of making any kind of restriction on abortion or post-abortion/infanticide.

I don't think 90 percent would choose to abort a baby with Down's Syndrome (if so, how very sad), but yes, the 10 percent that don't I WOULD say are morally superior AND amazing, strong human beings.

I don't think 90 percent would choose to abort a baby with Down's Syndrome (if so, how very sad), but yes, the 10 percent that don't I WOULD say are morally superior AND amazing, strong human beings.

i get it... it's "god's gift" or "will" and a "blessing", i just don't agree...

if me wanting the best possible life for my child makes me less 'moral' than those who have children with Down Syndrome, i'm ok with that i guess.

but that stat is true:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/weekinre...and&emc=rss

Still, social policy may be unable to sway a seemingly strong personal preference for avoiding children with perceived genetic defects. About 90 percent of women who learn they are carrying a fetus with the extra 21st chromosome that causes Down syndrome choose an abortion.