September 17 is U.S. Constitution Day

If only we had more Supreme Court justices that actually read the Constitution instead of making things up on the fly. Oh well, hopefully McCain will get elected and help rectify that a little.

Yeah, I kind of knew that was coming. Let's leave that in the election thread, and try to focus on the positive aspects of the Constitution in here. Any chance of that?

I read it in law school. Since I've graduated and passed the bar, I can't recall the last time I have had to cite it in any pleading, motion or brief that I've filed.

Still, it is an amazing document.

My sister is a lawyer, and always wanted to do something with Constitutional law. She became a labor lawyer, so she doesn't really deal with it much, but she once got to defend a local group of longshoremen who were participating in actions in support of the Liverpool Dockers. I believe she actually won that on the basis of a First Amendment argument.

Now I have that Schoolhouse Rock song in my head! Good times.

we the peopleeee

in order to form a more perfect unionnnnn

establish justice, ensure domestic tranquilityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

provide for the common defense

promote the general welfare and

secure the blessings of libertyyyyyyyyyy

to ourselves and our posterity

do ordain and establish this constitutionnnnnnnn

for the united states of americaaaaaaaaa

I love it. One of the best songs ever, not gonna lie. I suppose one of the best documents ever, too.

All schools are required to teach about the Constitution "on or around September 17". My lesson is always pretty much the same. An explanation on how a federal law requiring a local school to teach a specific topic on a specific day violates the spirit of the Constitution itself.

Amendment X:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

My sister is a lawyer, and always wanted to do something with Constitutional law. She became a labor lawyer, so she doesn't really deal with it much, but she once got to defend a local group of longshoremen who were participating in actions in support of the Liverpool Dockers. I believe she actually won that on the basis of a First Amendment argument.

I'm a public defender, so I cite the 5th, 6th and 14th Amendments pretty regularly...but rarely a day goes by without me using the 4th Amendment for all it's worth:

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

That's some good stuff right there. Gotta love criminal law! :dancing :usa

I'm a public defender, so I cite the 5th, 6th and 14th Amendments pretty regularly...but rarely a day goes by without me using the 4th Amendment for all it's worth:

That's some good stuff right there. Gotta love criminal law! :dancing :usa

:wub i'm glad someone is using it for all it's worth!

:wub i'm glad someone is using it for all it's worth!

Yeah, to keep those godforsaken criminals on the streets! :realmad

;)

My brother is attorney, not criminal defense, but I do really understand the role you play. I once had a discussion with a friend of his. A real Texas-style defense attorney. He was (drunkenly) explaining his role in our system. I will paraphrase:

"Everyone deserves an advocate in our system. That's what I do. I advocate for 'em. I not only keep 'em outta jail, I get their guns back for 'em!"

They have a big copy of the Constitution at the FDR library down the street from me that everyone can sign.

That's pretty cool. I'll need to get over there during my next trip to your neck of the woods (June 2009! mark your calendar!).

I've enjoyed the couple of times I've been to the National Archives in DC. Very neat to be in a room with some of those old, original (or in some cases, kind of original) documents. A little disturbing to see the number of people who don't follow the "no flash photography" rule, though. :stunned

All schools are required to teach about the Constitution "on or around September 17". My lesson is always pretty much the same. An explanation on how a federal law requiring a local school to teach a specific topic on a specific day violates the spirit of the Constitution itself.

After 9/11, our state passed legislation requiring students to regularly recite the pledge. (At our high school, that means every morning.) A few teachers came down hard on those students who chose to remain silent; those teachers had to be reminded that one of the great things about America is that we have the right to not pledge allegiance upon command.

After 9/11, our state passed legislation requiring students to regularly recite the pledge. (At our high school, that means every morning.) A few teachers came down hard on those students who chose to remain silent; those teachers had to be reminded that one of the great things about America is that we have the right to not pledge allegiance upon command.

At my school, we say it once a week. It's voluntary for the students. I'm certain there's peer pressure and internal pressure not to stand out, but I like that our principal announces it's voluntary. The only cases I've known of kids sitting it out are Jehovah's Witnesses.

I thought about posting this in the election thread or starting a new thread. But I think it fits best here. It's a very angry letter written to an American soldier who does commentary on NPR and his reply.

Link

Question For Capt. Nate Rawlings

Capt. Rawlings,

What gives America the right to invade some country on the pretext of unfounded allegations made up to justify their invasion? Do you really feel proud of yourself as a murderer of innocent people? Who are you to go a country and force democracy on the people? If the U.S.A. did not have bombs and just fought a land war with conventional weapons I can assure you they would not be talking so bravely because they would be whipped so bad into defeat that they will never recover from their defeat. You call yourself a soldier, but I call you and all the others who are in the U.S. Armed Forces gutless cowards and murderers with their embassies hiding behind the fortress called the "Green Zone." I challenge you to answer this one, you coward.

You believe political power without moral justification is perilous; I believe that passionate defiance without political engagement is worthless. Your vote is a powerful tool that should be used to make your voice heard.

QFT

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."