recently been getting into zappa, but damn if its all not that great. would be great to pick and choose mp3s over at amazon. any news on going digital? also, what's your favorite zappa? over-nite sensation is getting a lot of play around here.

c

ps-the other digital hold outs are beatles, ac/dc...anyone else?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Zappa thread from last summer - if you want to look at it. I would be surprised if what you want ever happens - due to the way The Zappa Family Trust looks after things. As an album oriented person, I would not care for such a deal myself.

thanks!

Sheik Yerbouti is an incredible album.

I used to be really into Zappa. I agree on some of his tracks being hit or miss. I think my favorite Zappa track is "Black Napkins" at the moment.

Yeah. I think in that other FZ thread I might have mentioned Black Napkins being perhaps my fave Frank soloing - it's just an intense song.

Joe's Garage was the first Zappa album I ever heard, and it's still one of my faves.

I also have a soft spot for Ship Arriving Too Late... I think my sister and I can still sing all the lyrics to that one (not to mention Valley Girl - our whole family still uses the phrase "I'm sure!")

One Size Fits All is my favorite.

LOVE We're Only In It for the Money,

and still go nuts over the guitar solo that ends and resumes when you flip the LP of You Are What You Is...

I think Zappa is great up through Zoot Allures (1976), then his output gets spotty. He still did a lot of great stuff, but not as consistently. Joe's Garage is excellent. Ship Arriving Too Late is solid. Thing Fish is probably the worst listening experience in the history of recorded music. Most of his synclavier pieces in the '80s just sound so mechanical. I can't get into that stuff no matter what. I think Zappa was full of it when he said he used the synclavier because it could do what musicians were incapable of doing. I think the truth is that he was sick of dealing with the constant stream of BS that ALWAYS comes with working with musicians.

I see there's a lot of love for Sheik Yerbouti here. I never liked that one very much, but I'll try again. I haven't listened to it in a few years.

My favorites are the unofficial trilogy of Hot Rats, Waka Jawaka and the Grand Wazoo. Roxy & Elsewhere, the entire YCDTOSA series (though especially #2) and the '88 live albums Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life and Make A Jazz Noise Here. I am biased on the last two because I saw the '88 tour when those were recorded (Broadway the Hard Way is also from that tour). Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe and One Size Fits All were the first albums that I got into and therefor I think of them as the most accessible. I am a fan of the more intricate Zappa with less bathroom humor. Your mileage may vary.

I'm trying to think of all the Zappaisms that are a part of my daily language.

"I've got a present for You-oo!"

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"

"Unconcho"

"I knew you'd be surprised!"

"You'll LOVE it...it's a way of life"

"He used to be a nice boy - he used to cut the grass"

"It can't happen here"

I could go on...

"I knew you'd be surprised!"

"You'll LOVE it...it's a way of life"

"He used to be a nice boy - he used to cut the grass"

"It can't happen here"

I could go on...

Joe's Garage is definitely a treasure trove for these sorts of quotes....

"Come on, I'll buy you a pizza."

"With a tiny little mustache."

Damn, it warms my heart to see another Zappa thread. This should be kept going just like the Grateful Dead one ...

"You'll love it ... it's a way of life" is something that's made it into my permanent vernacular. There must be a few more, but I can't think of them right now.

I have to say I'd put One Size Fits All as the best studio album, with close seconds being Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe. On the other hand, some of his best guitar playing comes from other places: Black Napkins, Watermelon In Easter Hay, Rat Tomago, etc.

If you want a good laugh, go to www.zappa.com and do a search for "Roxy DVD" ... it's kinda depressing, but funny, too, seeing how much people want this thing but it never quite gets released.

I never met Frank, but I still miss the old curmudgeon.

Mr. H I'll keep bumping this thing. :thumbup

Even though the musicianship progressed significantly during the '70s I still have the soft spot for those first 5 years (Mothers) era. Weasels Ripped My Flesh is a favorite - one of the most far out records you can find in the Rock bin at your local teenage record store. The things FZ was doing with (backward/forward) tape loops on Weasels and WOIIFTM seems miles ahead of even what the Fabs were doing at the time.

Mr. H I'll keep bumping this thing. :thumbup

Even though the musicianship progressed significantly during the '70s I still have the soft spot for those first 5 years (Mothers) era. Weasels Ripped My Flesh is a favorite - one of the most far out records you can find in the Rock bin at your local teenage record store. The things FZ was doing with (backward/forward) tape loops on Weasels and WOIIFTM seems miles ahead of even what the Fabs were doing at the time.

I finally got a chance to listen to the original recording (well, at least not the redone recording that Zappa did in the late 80s) of WOIIFTM - the original drums and bass. (I know there are several versions out there) I had read a lot of complaints over the "new" version - but I have to say, JCB (the Indian of the group)'s drumming absolutely SUCKS compared to Colaiuta's re-do. I much prefer the revamped version... (which is the first version I had heard - maybe that affects my bias).

True story: in '03 or '04 I saw Project/Object (w/ Ike Willis, Napoleon Murphy Brock etc). Don Preston was on keys for that tour. They did many tunes from WOIIFTM. When they did "Let's Make The Water Turn Black" they had one of Indy's most notorious transvestite entertainers get up and sing the song in full 'regalia'. One of the most bizarre concert moments ever for me.

True story: in '03 or '04 I saw Project/Object (w/ Ike Willis, Napoleon Murphy Brock etc). Don Preston was on keys for that tour. They did many tunes from WOIIFTM. When they did "Let's Make The Water Turn Black" they had one of Indy's most notorious transvestite entertainers get up and sing the song in full 'regalia'. One of the most bizarre concert moments ever for me.

I saw that tour, I think. Don Preston and Bunk Gardner opened the show. At that show the Project/Object set was taken almost entirely from the early/mid '70s material and the Ike Willis era. I only saw their first set, though, now that I think of it. Maybe they did the '60s material in the second set. I wish I could have stayed for the whole show. With Don and Bunk on board they surely must've done a lot of '60s tunes.

Since this is a Wilco board, here's a loose Wilco connection:

Nels Cline's brother Alex plays drums on Don Preston's "Transformation" cd. How many degrees of separation is that?