Sorry, just saw this today. I'd never actually seen Ike before, so I didn't have a frame of reference. I'd say he was having a great time up there, but to be honest, he looks like he should spend a little less time "Cruisin' for Burgers" and a little more time meeting up with some friends in the vegetable kingdom. :lol

:lol

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billboard put something up finally:

Frank Zappa Drummer Jimmy Carl Black Dies

November 05, 2008 , 11:20 AM ET

Jimmy Carl Black, drummer, vocalist and self-anointed "Indian of the group" of Frank Zappa's the Mothers of Invention, has died at age 70.

Black, a native of El Paso, Texas, died Saturday of cancer in Siegsdorf, Germany, according to Roddie Gilliard, a British musician who performed with him.

Born James Inkanish Jr. on Feb. 1, 1938, Black had Cheyenne Indian ancestry through both parents. He changed his name legally to Jimmy Carl Black in 1958, adapting the name of his stepfather, Carl Black.

He was playing in the Soul Giants in Los Angeles in 1964 when the group recruited Zappa. "He joined the band and three days later he took it over," Black once said.

Zappa changed the group's name and, according to Black, boasted that "if you guys learn my music, I'll make you rich and famous." "He took care of half of that promise, because I'm damn sure I didn't get rich," Black recalled.

He credited Zappa, who died in 1993, with introducing him to modern classical music and teaching him complex rhythms.

Black appeared on Mothers albums including "Freak Out," "Cruising with Ruben and the Jets" and "Burnt Weenie Sandwich." He played trumpet as well as drumming on the 1968 album "We're Only In It for the Money," and also introduced his catchphrase: "Hi boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, I'm the Indian of the group."

Zappa disbanded the Mothers in 1969, and Black's career thereafter was not lucrative. A recent remix of some of Black's work was titled "Can I Borrow a Couple of Bucks Until the End of the Week?"

The band members were shocked when Zappa fired them. "We all just got a phone call from him stating that he had decided to break up the band and your salary has ended as of last week. That is pretty cold," Black said once in an interview.

Black later appeared as Lonesome Cowboy Burt in Zappa's film "200 Motels," and in 1980 he worked on five songs from Zappa's "You Are What You Is." "I had a really good time with Frank at that time and he really treated me great. I even got paid," Black said.

Following the breakup of the Mothers, Black formed a band named Geronimo Black after his youngest son. The band's 1972 album was not a commercial success, and Black went to work in a doughnut shop in Anthony, Texas.

In 1980, he teamed with ex-Mothers Bunk Gardner and Don Preston in The Grandmothers, a band that broke up and reformed several times over two decades.

During one musical lull, Black formed a house-painting company in Austin, Texas, with Arthur Brown. They also made an album, "Brown, Black and Blue."

Black moved to Italy in 1992, then to Germany in 1995, and has appeared as a singer with The Muffin Men, a Liverpool band that specialized in the music of Zappa and Captain Beefheart.

Black is survived by his wife, Monika, whom he married in 1995 following the death of his second wife; three sons and three daughters. A fundraiser planned in London for Black will go ahead on Sunday, Gilliard said.

• 1 year later...

Just want to remind everyone that tomorrow is the 16th anniversary of Frank's death.

Listen to an album or 10 tomorrow in his honor. And if his music doesn't do it for you watch a few interviews of his on YouTube. The man was a true genius.

RIP Jimmy Carl Black

http://www.jimmycarlblack.com/

i realize this is an old post...

i had the distinct pleasure of doing a quick shoot and having dinner w/ JCB and eugene before their show in '07...super nice guy, really funny w/ tons of good stories.

p886074276-4.jpg

more shots:

http://narlus.zenfolio.com/p965881553

http://narlus.zenfolio.com/p589221922

edit - oh, and 'Montana' popped up on my ipod during today's drive...great song.

Just want to remind everyone that tomorrow is the 16th anniversary of Frank's death.

Damn. I vividly remember hearing the news. It's mind boggling how much he crammed into a 52 year life. Has anyone is music accomplished as much in such a short time...or even in 2x or 3x that amount of time? I doubt it.

Luckily, I still have 'Tis the Season to be Jelly and the Shut Up and Play Your Guitar 3 cd set with me here at work.

Damn. I vividly remember hearing the news. It's mind boggling how much he crammed into a 52 year life. Has anyone is music accomplished as much in such a short time...or even in 2x or 3x that amount of time? I doubt it.

I highly doubt it as well. The only reason I got into Frank Zappa as a kid was because at the local record shop I used to go to (Rolling Stone Records in Chicago) he pretty much had his own section. Most other bands had 5-10 cds in the rack, and Frank Zappa had hundreds and I thought to myself, "if a guy has made this many albums and they are still for sale 30 years later, he had to be doing something right."

I was right.

I highly doubt it as well. The only reason I got into Frank Zappa as a kid was because at the local record shop I used to go to (Rolling Stone Records in Chicago) he pretty much had his own section. Most other bands had 5-10 cds in the rack, and Frank Zappa had hundreds and I thought to myself, "if a guy has made this many albums and they are still for sale 30 years later, he had to be doing something right."

I was right.

I remember Rolling Stone too...they did carry alot of Zappa and alot of others too.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

51m7SHjMgML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Just streamed this on Netflix. Some great footage and interviews with the band.

I love the Classic Albums series. If you liked that, you should check out the Dub Room Special dvd. It has he best Zappa live performances I've ever seen.

I love the Classic Albums series. If you liked that, you should check out the Dub Room Special dvd. It has he best Zappa live performances I've ever seen.

I would almost always agree with this statement, but right now, I'd advise people to hold out for a little while: the Zappa Family Trust is supposedly going to release the whole 1974 KCET studio set featured on that DVD. Kind of annoying to pay for some of these things twice, but it would be nice to see those performances without all the (admittedly cool) Bruce Bickford claymation and weird engine-revving noises dubbed over it.

Of course, if the ZFT doesn't release the KCET show anytime soon, I'd certainly recommend going ahead and getting the Dub Room Special if you have some extra $.

I would almost always agree with this statement, but right now, I'd advise people to hold out for a little while: the Zappa Family Trust is supposedly going to release the whole 1974 KCET studio set featured on that DVD. Kind of annoying to pay for some of these things twice, but it would be nice to see those performances without all the (admittedly cool) Bruce Bickford claymation and weird engine-revving noises dubbed over it.

Of course, if the ZFT doesn't release the KCET show anytime soon, I'd certainly recommend going ahead and getting the Dub Room Special if you have some extra $.

The version of Stevie's Spanking on Dub Room is worth the price of admission alone.

As a Netflix subscriber, I forget that people still buy DVDs. Based on my viewing habits, it's pretty rare that a music DVD comes out that I think is worth buying, but that would be one.

The version of Stevie's Spanking on Dub Room is worth the price of admission alone.

Well, I guess for people who like that sort of thing...:lol

Actually, they may be releasing that show, too, thereby making Dub Room virtually obsolete. That's not definite, though.

I guess it's worth getting either way. Would Netflix actually even stock something like this?!

I watched several rock music documentaries on Netflix over Thanksgiving. I think I remember seeing the Zappa one. I did not watch it though.

I am loving the Netflix streaming but it's keeping me up until 3 am every night. I started watching Office episodes because they are shorter but I end up watching like 5 of them by the time I'm done so it comes out the same.

I am loving the Netflix streaming but it's keeping me up until 3 am every night. I started watching Office episodes because they are shorter but I end up watching like 5 of them by the time I'm done so it comes out the same.

I will have to check the Zappa stuff on there next time. I don't think I have ever seen any Zappa stuff, except 200 Motels, a BBC documentary about him, various live clips, and some TV stuff.

I will have to check the Zappa stuff on there next time. I don't think I have ever seen any Zappa stuff, except 200 Motels, a BBC documentary about him, various live clips, and some TV stuff.

If I didn't already own it, I would totally rent 200 Motels.

Centerville...A real nice place to raise your kids up! :lol