Miles Davis Kind of Blue 50th Anniversary Collector

Legacy Recordings is proud to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the most iconic jazz album of all time, "Kind Of Blue," starring Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb, with a historic deluxe edition release.

The 50th Anniversary Collector

Around 1990, I went to the library determined to find a few jazz cds to try out. My jazz experience was limited to my dad's stack of 78s - mostly Big Band and piano stuff from Art Tatum, Fats Waller, Alec Templeton, etc.

One of the four I grabbed was Kind Of Blue. Of course, the name Miles Davis stuck out so i picked it and the other 3 I don't remember. I wasn't prepared for how good it was. Thinking ALL modern Jazz sounded like this, I excitedly declared that I now loved Jazz. Needless to say, I soon found out that all jazz did not sound like this and later read that it was considered by some to be the best record of it's genre, ever! That's up for debate, but I have yet to find a better jazz record since that trip to the library.

BTW - That blue vinyl looks cool with the 6-eye label. :thumbup

I wonder how many copies of this I already have.....??

(Feel free to reread my article attached to my signiture, I am sure GloNo could use some traffic....)

LouieB

Many - I think the one I have is this one: 1986

Around 1990, I went to the library determined to find a few jazz cds to try out. My jazz experience was limited to my dad's stack of 78s - mostly Big Band and piano stuff from Art Tatum, Fats Waller, Alec Templeton, etc.

One of the four I grabbed was Kind Of Blue. Of course, the name Miles Davis stuck out so i picked it and the other 3 I don't remember. I wasn't prepared for how good it was. Thinking ALL modern Jazz sounded like this, I excitedly declared that I now loved Jazz. Needless to say, I soon found out that all jazz did not sound like this and later read that it was considered by some to be the best record of it's genre, ever! That's up for debate, but I have yet to find a better jazz record since that trip to the library.

BTW - That blue vinyl looks cool with the 6-eye label. :thumbup

I one day went to the library too and wanted to try out this "jazz" music and picked up kind of blue ... thought it was incrediable and was disapointed to find out all jazz was not like this..

I have since found some wonderful jazz, but this stands as not only my fav jazz album but one of my top 3 fav albums of all times.

I had a dream about this re-release last night. I was listening to the LP in a mansion with my friend Robert (RIP). It was cool. I hadn't dreamed of him in a while. So thanks for this thread.

I could be completely way off base here, but was your friend Robert a member of the forum POSTCARD many years ago. I recall he was a drummer from the Boston area and a big Jazz fan.

I could be completely way off base here, but was your friend Robert a member of the forum POSTCARD many years ago. I recall he was a drummer from the Boston area and a big Jazz fan.

Fuckin A. Finally someone here who remembers him. PM on the way.

Kind of Blue was certainly the first jazz album to really grab me by the balls and smack my brain around a bit. There's this airy conversational flow directing all the proceedings that keeps you intently listening, the way you do when hearing a great storyteller after having a couple of beers. It's effortless stuff, with the players displaying total mastery without the obligation to cram in frenetic bebop runs every four bars. I think too many people are quick to dismiss jazz because of bebop, (and bebop can be quite exhausting for listeners used to the streamlined harmonic forthrightness of rock) but music fans do themselves a disservice by turning away from the subtler jazz of Miles Davis during this period, as well as the lyrical approach of Thelonious Monk, and the sophisticated, "make every note count" contemporary style of Bill Frisell among others.

i have Bitches Brew, Blue and Silent Way.

Love Supreme/Coltrane is great.

my fav though may be Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

i have Zawinul - self-titled, too.

that's about the extent of jazz i have.

is this the most repackaged album of all time?

Pet Sounds is up there, but i think Blue may have it beat.

• 5 years later...

I tried getting into jazz over a decade ago and this was the album I had wanted to start with. I ended up going with Coltrane's 'My Favorite Things.' Recently, I started listening to Coltrane again and discovered that he had played with Davis on KoB. Since then, I've gotten into Davis' electric phase. 'In A Silent Way' is my favorite album at the present moment. These guys were some gifted individuals. I still find 'My Favorite Things' superior to 'Kind Of Blue' though.

I'm sure I've posted it on VC before, but I always compare Miles and Trane to Hemingway and Faulkner, respectively. The old quote (stolen from John Gardner or some other writer) is "read all the Faulkner you can find, then read all of Hemingway to get Faulkner out of your system." So my musical analogue is "listen to all the Coltrane you can find, then listen to all of Miles to get Coltrane out of your system."  :lol

There's so much in both their catalogs to digest, it can be overwhelming or intimidating. I'm by no means an expert, and my tastes probably run with the very traditional, but I can at least offer suggestions on my favorites. Coltrane: Live at Birdland, Giant Steps and With the Thelonious Monk Quartet at Carnegie Hall. As for Miles: 'Round About Midnight and Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet. The electric phase stuff is cool too. If I'm in the right mood, I also love Sketches of Spain.

If you dig Coltrane over Miles (which I do, too, by a nose), you might want to check out some of his other releases from the "classic quartet" period, if you haven't already. They are timeless.

Better than Kind of Blue. Love, love, love.