Yep.

I don't know who else to ask but you dudes and ladies are generally well informed! I've decided, now that I am a workin' man, to get a video game console to replace my good old Nintendo 64. I was thinking Wii, that Zelda game looked real cool, but then I realized I wouldn't be able to play NHL09! I would therefor lose my doctorate in Canuckology. SO! PS3 or XBox 360! Which one should I get? I don't want to buy a console and have XBOX 720 and PS4 come out.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XBox 360. I own one. I love it. It's a great time-killer. NHL 09 is incredible. Madden's good too. But yeah, I love 360.

I've heard rumors about new consoles in 2011-12. But that's a whiles away.

As a college student I am well versed in the on going debate. My friends had a PS3 (it got stolen like a week ago) and I have a 360. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

360 pros: Easy online play, cheaper, easy switch from 64 controller wise.

360 cons: loud, no blu-ray,

PS3 pros: slightly better graphics, blu-ray, variety of hard drive options.

PS3 cons: strange user interface when not playing game (applys to you maybe?), lots of storage space you payed for that is not being used. Might get stolen.

I went with a 360 because it was cheaper. The games for both are almost the same, certainly NHL is on both platforms. A small number of games only come out on one system, but not enough to matter.

We do 360. We were PS people for a really long time and then my partner made the switch to the 360. I don't know what the Xbox Live rates are right off hand, but I believe they are pretty inexpensive. Also, with xbox you can run XBMC, which is rather nifty. There may be similar setups for PS that I just don't know about.

(Edit: We have a 360 but we run XBMC on the old Xbox. D'oh!"

It's decided! I will soon be rocking NHL09 on XBox 360! Thanks for the help guys. What are some other great games? I had a PS2 for a few months like... 5 years ago, and the only game I ever liked was Grand Theft Auto. I then sold the PS2 and bought a bass guitar amp. I don't want that to happen again.

On a side note, when I was in audio school, EA's head quarters were literally like... 5 minutes up the road from my school and we got a tour (EA hires a lot of audio people), and those facilities are absolutely amazing. I wouldn't ever work there, a palotes gym and a full size NBA court does nothing for lazy me.

Is Xbox Live Silver really shitty?

• 2 weeks later...

Well dudes and ladies, I went out and bought myself an XBox 360 with NHL09. After I get good (the controls are just a little bit complicated) I'll register XBox live. Who will want to face me and my Canucks? Walken, I'm looking your way.

I've got the 360 and just love it. I was never into multiplayer games before I had it. I have NHL 08 and just can't dedicate the time to a new game -- cause, damn are they awesome!!

Not sure if you're into 'shooter' type games, but you should at least go rent Call of Duty 4. It sold 7 million copies last year and for good reason -- it is a really intense game. Not for the kiddies, though.

Is Xbox Live Silver really shitty?

Basically you get silver for free, its an online (aka your xbox gamertag) but with no ability to actually play games online, just download updates and stuff. I recomend going to a walmart or whatever and getting a 1 year $50 subscription to xbox live if that is your cup of tea. You can in theory get 3 free months of live if you sign up to silver with 3 seperate accounts, but you lose all your online friends and stuff when you switch accounts over. Gamewise nhl 09 is amazing, madden 08 is pretty good, halo 3 is a great intro to shooter game cause its simple at face value, gears of war 2 comes out in eventually and thats a solid game. Personally since I got live a few years ago it seems all i play is games that lend towards good multiplayer (being in college you can play with old friends via xbox live too), this means sports games and shooters pretty much.

I've never been to much into the console games. I'm more of PC game geek. I dig the strategy war games, occasional racing games. There's just so much more flexibility and customization for PC games. And if the game has bugs or if the developer wants to improve anything, they can release a patch or expansion. :thumbup

• 1 month later...

Alright guys I have caught the video game bug. I was thinking about a Nintendo DS for Christmas, does anyone have any experience with them? Near the end of my 64 days I thought Nintendo was marketing way more to children, is that still the case?

I have no DS experience, i just wanted to chime in to say that our 360 died. We got the "red ring of death." Totally sucks.

Same here! Last week!

And the worst part is - they're claiming my warranty expired in July, but I didn't buy the 360 until Spring 06. I have no idea where that receipt is...

I like the DS. Nintendo markets their games to kids, but also to adults. They market to casual gamers rather than the stereotypical hardcore gamer (young adult male who spends hours playing each week).

The DS has lots of puzzle and training games geared towards adults like Brain Age, Flash Focus (vision training), Professor Layton and the Curious Village (this one is geared as much towards kids, but I liked it). They also have platformers like Mario64 DS and Sonic. Also, MarioKart.

Here is a list of top DS games as compiled by some game mag:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/20...-best-ds-games/

Notice that there are not a lot of sports or shoot 'em up games. The PSP would be better if that's your thing.

If you get the DS, I highly recommend a Flash Slot game like the R4 or similar. You can copy games on it and play it just like the orginal. Never payt for a game ever. Its free just google NDS roms. Its easy to do.

Now that is neat, though unethical. Would you recommend the modified version that will support the larger, micro SDHC cards (but isn't supported by the manufacturer)?

If you get the DS, I highly recommend a Flash Slot game like the R4 or similar. You can copy games on it and play it just like the orginal. Never payt for a game ever. Its free just google NDS roms. Its easy to do.

If more people were honest about paying for video games, maybe the Big 3 wouldn't need that bailout that's put the sand in your vagina.