Sen. Ted Stevens Found Guilty

He'll probably still win his reelection bid.

Probably not. When he was indicted, his poll numbers dropped A LOT. As time went on and he fought it, and voters felt like there was more of a chance that he was innocent, the race tightened back up again. But now that he's been convicted, he's almost certain to lose.

He really screwed things up for his party by insisting on rushing the trial. Had the trial not happened until after the election, he probably would have won, and Governor Palin could have appointed a Republican to take his seat. As it is now though, the Democrat will likely win. Chalk up an unexpected seat for the Dems. Sixty seats in the Senate is seeming more and more possible.

On the news it said that by Alaskan law, the governor cannot appoint senate seats. They have to have a special election between 60-90 days.

The article I read said that convicted felons can hold a seat in the Senate, so saying he wins, would he have to step down in order for a special election to be held?

This is from last Wednesday, latest I could find. I can't wait to see new numbers on this race:

Alaska Senate Ivan Moore Res. Begich 46, Stevens 45 Begich +1

Yeah I think the GOP would rather Ole Ted just disappear at this point.

"I would tell them [McCain and Palin] I understand that they make statements during the heat of a campaign, and probably they've been a little misinformed by their staff.

"But I wouldn't hold it against them. I understand what they are doing. They are trying to get elected," Stevens, 84, told the panel of journalists before a live audience.

Asked if he were accusing his Republican critics of just saying what's convenient to win elections, Stevens said, "I think to a great extent they are."

Source

Sounds like she's not quite with it.

You can say that again.

Most recent poll I've seen (Friday) has Begich up by 22. Looks like it's over for Teddy. Good luck with your appeal.