Dan Auerbach's (Black Keys) Solo Album

I haven't really been able to get into the Black Keys but I am really liking this album a lot.

I'll have to circle back around to some of the Black Keys material. Considering I like this, any suggestions as to what I should listen to from the Keys? I have Rubber Factory but never gave it too many listens... should I go back to it or start somewhere else?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't really been able to get into the Black Keys but I am really liking this album a lot.

I'll have to circle back around to some of the Black Keys material. Considering I like this, any suggestions as to what I should listen to from the Keys? I have Rubber Factory but never gave it too many listens... should I go back to it or start somewhere else?

Attack and Release is unreal..

I can't read the Rolling Stone article...something about My Morning Jacket. What does it say?

Attack and Release is unreal..

I can't read the Rolling Stone article...something about My Morning Jacket. What does it say?

The drummer for Hacienda had a death in the family, so MMJ drummer will be drummer for the tour.

The drummer for Hacienda had a death in the family, so MMJ drummer will be drummer for the tour.

Saw Dan and Hacienda last night. Just an unreal show. I have never heard Hacienda before last night and they definitely won me over. Ran out and bought their latest this morning.

Dan Auerbach is really great live act. Maybe my favorite release of the year and it sounded much better live.

yeah... while i wouldn't put 'Keep It Hid' up there with Attack, Rubber, or Big Come Up, that show last night was better than any of the half dozen or so Keys shows i've seen... DAMN.

Dan definitely works better with a full band, no question.

and yeah, Hacienda were awesome. Those Darlins were pretty good too. Great musicians, bit cutesy vocals, but still fun (and cute ;))

Those Darlins were pretty good too. Great musicians, bit cutesy vocals, but still fun (and cute ;))

Yes, it must have been the same band. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood but I didn't enjoy them. They were cute but it seemed kind of kitschy to me.

Hacienda was awesome and I love their latest. Not sure how these guys flew under my radar.

And the My Morning Jacket drummer was killin' it all night. Fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Great album, like someone earlier said, it's all over the place and in a good way. One of my faves of '09 so far. Not seeing any love for Thickfreakness here either?

Great album, like someone earlier said, it's all over the place and in a good way. One of my faves of '09 so far. Not seeing any love for Thickfreakness here either?

I think Thickfreakness is a great album with a "sameness" issue. Toomany of the songs have a pretty similar feel and sound to them, but I like them nonetheless.

I think Thickfreakness is a great album with a "sameness" issue. Toomany of the songs have a pretty similar feel and sound to them, but I like them nonetheless.

I suppose you could say that about any album with a strong blues base, that it had a samey sounding issue. Or many other performer's songs. Oasis, for example. :shifty

Not seeing any love for Thickfreakness here either?

I love Thickfreakness. It was my entry point into The Black Keys. If I had to rank 'em (I just did this not too long ago in a Black Keys thread here), it comes out like this:

Rubber Factory

Thickfreakness

Attack & Release

Chulahoma

The Big Come Up

Magic Potion

If you were to throw KIH into the mix, it would be battling Chulahoma for the 4th spot. Not a bad album in the bunch.

I would agree that there isn't a bad album in their output. I mean, they are hardly breaking new ground but all their records are enjoyable as hell. I really like Magic Potion too despite Solace and his hip blog telling me not to. :lol

• 5 weeks later...

i def agree about the variety, but other than 3 songs it doesn't quite have as great of hooks, which is a big part of what i love so much about the Keys.

that said, his solo live show w/ Hacienda backing him was better than any of the half dozen plus Keys shows i've seen.