The Post Election Thread

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is no provision and you know that but there is a widespread belief that this notion is true. Heck the governor is promoting the belief.

As to the whole splitting into five states thing, that relates back to slavery and is superceded by the constitution which has provisions for admitting new states to the union. Imagine admitting four additional states if TX were split, as mentioned in the last few days this would be strictly for politcal reasons (Tom Delay reasoning at least). Congress could gerrymander the borders for those states to dilute one parties power over another. Congress could also go tit for tat and admit several other states as a political offset (Puerto Rico anyone?). All in all not a pretty situation.

You might want to review that point. The Act of Congress which admitted Texas to the Union included said provision. And it had actually been a movement in West Texas in the 90's. It (the movement in West Texas) was more about resources (i.e. Oil and Natural Gas) and theallocation of monies.

But it is a possibility and an OPTION, but not likely at all. Seccession is foolish and not possible without reenacting the Civil War on a worse scale.

And I wasn't joking about charging Rick Perry with sedition.

Seems like this from 1870

Since I hadn't heard what you guys were talking about, so I did some research. This is some crazy bat shit insane stuff for prominent people to say, and if anyone on the left said something like this they'd be labeled unpatriotic in a second. Where's Rush?

Perry: "Texas is a unique place. When we came into the Union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that.

We got a great Union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it, but if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what may come out of that.

I mean, ignoring the fact that what he said is false, this is a pretty awesome thing for the governor of a state to say."

BECK: "Does the individual have any rights anymore? Does the state have any right any more? And I know, because I've heard it, from all of the conservative, uh, you know, uh, historians...and scholars, and everything else. But you can't convince me that the founding fathers wouldn't allow you to secede. The Constitution is not a suicide pact. And if a state says, I don't want to go there, because that's suicide, they have a right to back out. They have a right. People have a right to not commit economic suicide...I sign into this Union, and I can never get out, no matter what the government does? I can never get out? Well that leaves only one other option. That doesn't seem like a good option."
Since I hadn't heard what you guys were talking about, so I did some research. This is some crazy bat shit insane stuff for prominent people to say, and if anyone on the left said something like this they'd be labeled unpatriotic in a second. Where's Rush?

In other, sort of related news (regarding the right's hypocrisy) - from Andrew Sullivan:

On Fox News, waterboarding someone 183 times in a month is not even close to torture, and the only bad thing in constructing and using the torture techniques devised and designed by the Gestapo, the Khmer Rouge, the Communist Chinese and Stalin was that the evidence was not kept secret. It is asserted as fact that this waterboarding saved lives, even though we have no solid evidence for that, apart from the word of those who ordered the torture.

Remember also that there is no legal debate of any kind as to the legality of waterboarding someone once, let alone 183 times. It is a war crime. Again: there can be no debate about this. No legal authority of any kind in any country until the Bush administration has ruled otherwise. The waterboard is prominently featured in the torture museum of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. But there is no concern at Fox about the rule of law at all. Recall that the GOP impeached a president for perjury in a civil lawsuit. Because it was a breach of the rule of law. But war crimes? It's time to move on ...

Maybe you need to read the above posts.

RICK PERRY SHOULD BE ARRESTED BY FEDERAL MARSHALLS AND CHARGED WITH SEDITION.

PERIOD.

I did not realize that you were Rush Limbaugh.

Don't believe the type

Axelrod: We Can't Afford To Get "Bogged Down" In Bush Investigation Debate

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/20/a...o_n_189241.html

"Remarks made by Obama senior adviser David Axelrod on Monday provide the clearest indication to date that the White House is not only uninterested in pursuing investigations of Bush officials involved in torture but views them as a distraction from a larger governing agenda.

Speaking before the Religious Action Center, a Reform Judaism advocacy organization, Axelrod warned against re-litigating the past, arguing that the current White House didn't need such a distraction when it already had so much on its plate.

"The president believes strongly that we need to be looking forward," said Axelrod. "If he had not banned these [interrogation techniques] there would be a different case to be made here. But these practices are a thing of the past. What this should not become is a forum for re-litigating these issues apropos to the last administration and some of the policy makers there, because we have too much work to do to become bogged down in that debate. That's the feeling."

What is the difference between Republicans and Democrats? Nothing. It's symbolic, which is why the 2 party system is losing credibility by the day.

Axelrod: We Can't Afford To Get "Bogged Down" In Bush Investigation Debate

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/20/a...o_n_189241.html

"Remarks made by Obama senior adviser David Axelrod on Monday provide the clearest indication to date that the White House is not only uninterested in pursuing investigations of Bush officials involved in torture but views them as a distraction from a larger governing agenda.

Speaking before the Religious Action Center, a Reform Judaism advocacy organization, Axelrod warned against re-litigating the past, arguing that the current White House didn't need such a distraction when it already had so much on its plate.

"The president believes strongly that we need to be looking forward," said Axelrod. "If he had not banned these [interrogation techniques] there would be a different case to be made here. But these practices are a thing of the past. What this should not become is a forum for re-litigating these issues apropos to the last administration and some of the policy makers there, because we have too much work to do to become bogged down in that debate. That's the feeling."

What is the difference between Republicans and Democrats? Nothing. It's symbolic, which is why the 2 party system is losing credibility by the day.

Of course we can

I thought the whole point of having an empire was to have the frontier colonies pay buttloads of taxes so that we, the ones near the capital, can live like kings. Hell ass damn kings!!

Pft, if that were the case, I

Pft, if that were the case, I'd say start the empirization of the entire planet, unfortunately, we've got it ass backwards, and instead of bathing in all that sick loot, we're hemorrhaging it.

See, the British knew how to run an empire. Americans are all "OMG, are we doing the right thing" too much to make it work.