Help save Christmas!

Okay, here it is Dec. 1, and I am absolutely stuck on what to get as a "Santa" gift (i.e. the big one) for my 10 year old son. I've searched high and low and asked practically everyone I know for ideas. I'm looking for ideas in the $50-100 price range. He likes: photography (has digital camera), stop motion animation (has software), film making (has access to a video camera), Bionicles (has 'em all), anime (especially Naruto), Heroscape, Legos, dragons, drawing, reading, science, history, building his own action figures, and cooking. He's not into sports, cars, or things like that. I don't want to give him money, gift cards, or anything directly video game-related. Any brilliant ideas? Thx, I know I can count on you, VC brain trust.

he sounds just like my kid!

All Fynn (who's almost 10) wants is a Nintendo DS & my mom bought it for him, so I'm stuck too.

Stop motion animation software, eh? he would love that.

He rocks at Guitar Hero, so were thinking about World Tour.

Mine would also like a large assortment of Lego men (the little brother loses them)- but, god I can't find decent ones for a good price.

Looked on ebay & kijiji & the good ones (Star Wars, Batman,...) are so expensive! $5- $15 EACH!

And the little one (Hayden who's 3) wants "a robot on a dirtbike"... he's been very specific about this.

sorry, I'm of no help, but you gave me an idea, so thanks!

I second Lammycat's suggestion - maybe paired with a selection of drawing/art supplies. If he's into drawing has he also explored water-based media yet? Maybe a set of watercolors and/or acrylics and brushes, along with water-soluble colored pencils, colored inks, and a couple of pads of different drawing & watercolor papers.

If he's into all kinds of anime and not just the sci-fi stuff, then a box set of Studio Ghibli movies can't be beat. There are various editions out there, ranging from 5 to 21 titles.

How does he feel about space-stuff? I think this is way cool.

Lots of cool science goodies on that site. Even if you don't actually order from there, maybe a bit of browsing will at least give you some ideas to keep in mind while browsing toys-r-us or something. Good luck! :thumbup

Wow, everyone thanks for all of the ideas!

thinkgeek- what a great site! We are definitely geeks, but cool geeks, you know? ;) (That's what we tell ourselves, anyway.) This looks particularly cool and might be a keeper for him: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/af4c/

Holy cow, they have astronaut icecream. I remember sending off for that as a kid. The thinkgeek site is cracking me up. All that nerdy humor - reminds me of the little non-jokes I hear on NPR. llynn, I'm your biggest fan right now. (Hope that doesn't creep you out.)

How 'bout a guitar?

He already has one - got that when he was like 4 or 5. Hope it doesn't sound like he's a spoiled brat, cuz he's not. He's just always wanted specific, reasonable gifts and has therefore received them. Good idea, though.

His 12 y/o brother wants armor - I'm still working on that.

he sounds just like my kid!

All Fynn (who's almost 10) wants is a Nintendo DS & my mom bought it for him, so I'm stuck too.

Stop motion animation software, eh? he would love that.

He rocks at Guitar Hero, so were thinking about World Tour.

Mine would also like a large assortment of Lego men (the little brother loses them)- but, god I can't find decent ones for a good price.

Looked on ebay & kijiji & the good ones (Star Wars, Batman,...) are so expensive! $5- $15 EACH!

And the little one (Hayden who's 3) wants "a robot on a dirtbike"... he's been very specific about this.

sorry, I'm of no help, but you gave me an idea, so thanks!

Here I thought that I was the worst mom ever since I couldn't think of a good idea. Glad I'm not the only one.

Yeh, I know that lego minifig biz is a racket! They do sell sets of minifigs on lego.com that are reasonably priced, but they're kind of generic (like a chef minifig and a fireman minifig).

Could you like glue a robot on a dirtbike? Would that work? It actually sounds cool to me; I just don't know that it's been done before.

How about signing him up for a kid's photography class or Art studio class? Check your local paper, hippy magazine, YMCA, schools, craiglist, etc.

Good ideas, too. My dh and father in law are both very talented photographers, so he has personal teachers. He's taken several art classes in the past and there will be some drawing books and supplies under the tree.

I second Lammycat's suggestion - maybe paired with a selection of drawing/art supplies. If he's into drawing has he also explored water-based media yet? Maybe a set of watercolors and/or acrylics and brushes, along with water-soluble colored pencils, colored inks, and a couple of pads of different drawing & watercolor papers.

I'm not sure he's quite ready to go there yet. He's still working on his basic drawing techniques. I've heard that watercolors are more challenging and would probably be too advanced for a 10 y/o (although he is a prodigy, of course). In a few years, though, I can see that as a gift for him, along with a watercolor class like lammycat suggested.

Did I mention you all rock with all of these awesome ideas? Really, thanks!

If he's into all kinds of anime and not just the sci-fi stuff, then a box set of Studio Ghibli movies can't be beat. There are various editions out there, ranging from 5 to 21 titles.

My other son loves Hayao Miyazaki. I've got to check these out. Thanks for the tip.

I saw that earlier. I want it for my little Nels, seriously. I bet he's like some little Michael Jordan goldfish just waiting for his potential to be discovered.

Is this Nels II? I remember reading somewhere about your wee one taking the fish for a walk or something like that.

Kevin

PS: Like the new avatar!