Snow shoveling techniques

Dear VC -

Whenever I shovel my driveway, I do it in straight lines, horizontally, so there are piles of snow on either side of the driveway. However, each time I shovel a line of snow, there is a small thin line of snow that is deposited on the side of the shovel across the whole driveway. This means, when I am finished shoveling the bulk of snow, there are thin lines of snow all over my driveway still, almost as if a family of giants who live in my house are about to do lines of snow-cocaine. How do I get rid of these thin lines of snow?!

Snowed-in in Illinois

i use an anglular approach, to avoid such lines.

yours truly

Shitpile left to shovel

you have to plow with the shovel on an angle so that the excess snow falls off to the side where the remaining snow has not yet been shoveled. hard to describe it but hopefully that makes sense.

you have to plow with the shovel on an angle so that the excess snow falls off to the side where the remaining snow has not yet been shoveled. hard to describe it but hopefully that makes sense.

Oh I see. This does make sense.

And gogo, I think I tried using a broom once for fun and it just dispersed the snow around the driveway, rather than really getting it off the driveway.

When it snows here in SC, which is maybe once a decade, nobody shovels their driveways. We just leave it there until it melts. I'm guessing this probably wouldn't work in areas that receive snow on a daily basis.

Or live in SC.

Can I have a little bit of that snow? We may get one snow this year, and it'll last for about five minutes and quickly melt away... I miss snow.. Got plenty of it up in Boston..

Bite your tongue! Yuck!

Dear VC -

Whenever I shovel my driveway, I do it in straight lines, horizontally, so there are piles of snow on either side of the driveway. However, each time I shovel a line of snow, there is a small thin line of snow that is deposited on the side of the shovel across the whole driveway. This means, when I am finished shoveling the bulk of snow, there are thin lines of snow all over my driveway still, almost as if a family of giants who live in my house are about to do lines of snow-cocaine. How do I get rid of these thin lines of snow?!

Snowed-in in Illinois

I feel your pain and know exactly what you're talking about. My driveway is a gigantic pain in the arse in the winter.

Snow removal, while mundane and dull, does require forethought as well as muscle. French brandy needs to be handy too.

My method is to use a shovel designed to clear snow from a pond (for ice skating). It's got an extra wide, sturdy blade. Its heavy but very effective. Then I'll clear a portion while watching to see how far I can go without snow tumbling off either side of blade. I'll use that as my benchmark for further efforts. Of course, I still end up with those lines but either my kids or I take care of it with a quick sweep of the shovel. Its not that big a deal if its done right.

I'll be shoveling tonite sans the brandy....I forgot to stock up.

When it snows here in SC, which is maybe once a decade, nobody shovels their driveways. We just leave it there until it melts. I'm guessing this probably wouldn't work in areas that receive snow on a daily basis.

Yeah, any little bit of snow or ice means the entire city shuts down until the sun peeks through to thaw everyone out.