Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen the billboard advertisements for his tour?

Conan O’Brien Back On Stage, but Away From TV

By BILL CARTER

EUGENE, Ore. — Conan O’Brien thrilled a sellout crowd of frenzied fans here Monday night, putting on a two-hour, highly energized show that referred at several points to his widely publicized departure from NBC and reached back to many of his best-loved moments from his days with the network.

That included guest appearances from fan favorites like a certain self-pleasuring bear — slightly reconstituted for the occasion— and a completely unreconstructed insult-comic dog. The almost mind-bogglingly absurdist clips from the old CBS series “Walker, Texas Ranger” also turned up.

Passion for the former NBC “Tonight Show” star led to an immediate sellout on this and every stop on his national tour, and it wasn’t hurting the sales of Team Coco souvenirs: caps ($30); key chains ($5); T-shirts with just the outline of his pompadour hairline ($35); and shirts and hoodies bearing the image from the now iconic propaganda-style “Conan” poster with a stern-faced, black-shrouded Conan O’Brien under a shocking orange mane ($35 to $65).

The news of Mr. O’Brien’s decision to move his act to cable (the TBS channel) had reached most of the fans, and they reacted with excitement — they just wanted to be able to see him again, several fans said in the line outside.

Mr. O’Brien opened with a taped parody of his miserable months away from television but sounded more heartfelt when he told the audience that this was the first time he was ever appearing before a paying audience (tickets to his NBC shows were always free). He has been paid to go away, though, he said. (NBC, of course, settled his contract when he left the “Tonight Show” in January.)

The comedian made several other references to his recent situation including song parodies of “On the Road Again,” which he remade as “I Want a Show Again,” and a version of “I Will Survive” that also had some special lyrics and meaning.

Mr. O’Brien also included several taped segments showing a crazed, bald, bespectacled network executive that seemed one part NBC programmer and one part Ernst Blofeld of James Bond fame (lots of white cats were involved). All parts of the show were greeted with almost convulsive expressions of support from fans who had not had a chance to see the star in three months.

With some perhaps half-joking references to what he had learned from talking to a psychiatrist over recent months, Mr. O’Brien thanked them, saying — sincerely, he emphasized — that he truly needed to hear applause again.

Monday night, he did.

I wonder if TBS will replay conans new show during the following day (like Comedy Central does with Steward & Colbert) If TBS was smart they would! They should replay it around the early evening hours (like 5 -7) This way the middle schoolers & high schoolers can watch & get hooked early!

Conan O'Brien Sings 'I Will Survive,' Radiohead's 'Creep' on Tour

Conan O'Brien is surely having his best week in a long time. First, the funnyman announced he'll be back on the air with his own late-night show on TBS in January. Hours later, O'Brien kicked off of his "Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television Tour" in Eugene, Ore., and gave fans another sign that all is well by performing Gloria Gaynor's self-empowerment disco anthem, "I Will Survive."

"First I was afraid, I was petrified/I didn't know if I could live without a talk show by my side," O'Brien sang, changing up the song's lyrics while strumming his guitar. "But I grew strong...and my beard grew very long...I've got all my life to live, I've got so many shows to give/I will survive!"

Earlier that day, O'Brien sound-checked for his tour opener by performing a decidedly gloomier song, Radiohead's "Creep." He still managed make his audience laugh, though, by switching Thom Yorke's words out for new lyrics that served no purpose other than to be sung in a cockney accent.

"I'm a chimney sweep, and you're special," O'Brien scowled, later singing, "This accent's insulting to actors like Hugh Laurie...Dame Judi Dench is gonna punch me in the throat...I'm gonna get b*tch slapped by Helen Mirren." Welcome back, Coco -- we missed you.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Conan and his entourage on Friday up at MSU, in the Spartans' basketball arena. I'd already read or seen some of the material (thanks to the web), but that didn't tarnish the overall show, which was quite enjoyable. It's an odd mix of Conan's musings on his situation, planned bits with others (Andy Richter, Masturbating Bear, the Chuck Norris lever with the Michigan woman who Conan follows on Twitter), video clips, songs with Conan on guitar and vocals, and guest appearances (a comic opened, and a former Tonight Show writer did a short standup set during the course of Conan's show ... oh, and fucking Kid Rock came out and played a really stupid song).

It was familiar, in a way, because it wasn't too far removed from Conan's usual television fare, but the whole evening had a decidedly different vibe, perhaps due to a combination of the larger audience, the fallout from the NBC debacle, the promise of the new TBS show, and the realities of life on a tour bus. It was fun, though I'd say that as good as it was to see Conan live and in person, I've enjoyed stuff on his TV shows far more.

The band was fully intact except for Max Weinberg (who was replaced, as usual, by James Wormworth). It was great to see those guys play live -- they really are an outstanding band.

I bought this T-shirt.

BGCTON01.JPG

Here's a review ... here's another