Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

thank cod for parks and recreation, modern family, big bang theory and rules of engagement. finally some decent sitcoms on air.

cougar town, how i met your mother, 30 rock, and community, too (although, i don't watch rules of engagement)

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think I'd be able to get past Courtney Cox bemoaning how old and unattractive she is(!), but after the first few episodes, that's not really much of a thing anymore. I enjoy Cougar Town. But I love Modern Family. Last week's episode, when the pediatrician came to brunch... :lol

And I think that's an interesting theory about Jerry Seinfeld as a possible Leno replacement, if/when Leno tanks. I haven't seen the Marriage Ref, so I can't comment on his "hosting" abilities. But he's definitely another comic in the Leno mold (though I always thought he was much funnier than Leno), even though his show was pretty risque, his stand-up was always relatively family-friendly.

Analogman, did you see the documentary about him going back out on the road after his show ended? That's definitely worth checking out.

I didn't think I'd be able to get past Courtney Cox bemoaning how old and unattractive she is(!), but after the first few episodes, that's not really much of a thing anymore. I enjoy Cougar Town. But I love Modern Family. Last week's episode, when the pediatrician came to brunch... :lol

And I think that's an interesting theory about Jerry Seinfeld as a possible Leno replacement, if/when Leno tanks. I haven't seen the Marriage Ref, so I can't comment on his "hosting" abilities. But he's definitely another comic in the Leno mold (though I always thought he was much funnier than Leno), even though his show was pretty risque, his stand-up was always relatively family-friendly.

Analogman, did you see the documentary about him going back out on the road after his show ended? That's definitely worth checking out.

I forgot about that. I probably saw some clips of it online at some point.

Seinfeld would be a nightmare as Tonight Show host. I can only take so much of his horsefaced over-laughing at subpar celebrity stories.

The worst thing about The Marriage Ref to me (I watched the premiere episode) is that awful elfin host.

Great point about ref vs. ump, Winston. Stupid show.

Guest Speed Racer

But I love Modern Family. Last week's episode, when the pediatrician came to brunch... :lol

"'Don't talk black!' What does that even mean? Adding 'dizzle' and 'shizzle' to the end of every word?"

"They're saying, 'Don't talk BACK!'" "Ooooooh."

Much later:

"Don't talk black..."

:lol

Yeah, Cougar Town has really turned into a great show after a shaky start. That Wednesday night hour of Modern Family (the best comedy on television) and Cougar Town is excellent.

Seinfeld would be a nightmare as Tonight Show host. I can only take so much of his horsefaced over-laughing at subpar celebrity stories.

On par with when Chevy Chase briefly (very briefly) hosted his own late night show about 20 years ago. He tried to be a dead-on imitation of Johnny Carson. Painful.

On par with when Chevy Chase briefly (very briefly) hosted his own late night show about 20 years ago. He tried to be a dead-on imitation of Johnny Carson. Painful.

I remember watching that show. He looked so painfully awkward and nervous that it was just painful to watch. Seemed weird that someone who did live TV with SNL would be that nervous. Someone heckled him and his response was something idiotic like "the best thing right now is for you to pipe down" or something equally unclever. Horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

while flipping channels last night I landed on the Leno Tonight Show and decided to give it a try.

as a guest he had that Australian guy who was in the worst romantic comedy possibly ever made (with the blonde from gray's anatomy). They let him sing "L.A. Woman" with the band. it was horrid. I went to fetal.

it was saved in part by the hotness that is the Latina chica from Modern Family, but Jay is still a tool

anyone know how the ratings are faring in this new incarnation?

while flipping channels last night I landed on the Leno Tonight Show and decided to give it a try.

as a guest he had that Australian guy who was in the worst romantic comedy possibly ever made (with the blonde from gray's anatomy). They let him sing "L.A. Woman" with the band. it was horrid. I went to fetal.

it was saved in part by the hotness that is the Latina chica from Modern Family, but Jay is still a tool

anyone know how the ratings are faring in this new incarnation?

ABC News Story on Leno's Ratings

They're comparable to Conan's ratings. A big thumbs up to NBC...personal sidenote: I just accepted a position at an NBC affiliate. I'll be wearing a Team Coco wristband every time I give a forecast before Leno's abomination of a show.

Yes, Leno is beating everyone in the "honeymoon period" after his show has returned. However, Conan's average rating, as per the article I linked above, was 1.1 (or 1.0 in the waning period) whereas Leno has a marginally better rating of 1.2 even after he held the Tonight Show position for a number of years.

I won't rush to judgment and say that bringing Leno back was a mistake from the network's standpoint, because these things take time. In June, we will see the true results. If Leno maintains or improves his ratings, then it is a success, but if he drops off even a fraction of a point (which is likely to happen in the coming warmer months and because nobody gives a rat's ass about the finales of NBC's 10pm eastern shows) NBC would have been better off giving Conan time to foster. The ratings would be almost identical and they wouldn't have dragged their network and Leno through the mud.

Meanwhile, does anyone give a rat's backside about Dave? I remember him whining about CBS's lame 10 p.m. lineup, until they started winning at 10 p.m. and Dave still lost. As far as a honeymoon period, it's hardly as if Leno's coming in new and hot. He'd hosted for about 15 years and is coming off a huge debacle of a show at 10 and a 2-month drag through the mud. For him to be winning by any margin is a little impressive in my book. (full disclosure: I work nights and don't watch any of these shows.)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Speed Racer

I don't think too many of Jon Stewart's viewers will be turning the channel to see Conan.

If I had a television at this juncture in my career, I could see myself going back and forth between them, either each night or on a night-to-night basis. Both men are hilarious, but each show-format is pretty similar night-to-night. I could see myself either watching the show with the better guest, or whoever's humor I was in the mood for that night.

If I had a television at this juncture in my career, I could see myself going back and forth between them, either each night or on a night-to-night basis. Both men are hilarious, but each show-format is pretty similar night-to-night. I could see myself either watching the show with the better guest, or whoever's humor I was in the mood for that night.

Being up to watch TV past 10pm is a foreign concept to me.

My wife and I allow ourselves 3 shows each to DVR. Mine currently are The Pacific, Treme, & South Park.

Hers are Project Runway, Real Housewives of NYC, and Kell on Earth.

We cheat by having co-sponsored shows: House Hunters International and Top Chef - Celebrity Chef.

Guest Speed Racer

After housesitting this past week I discovered that I will watch a considerable amount of television if I actually have a television to watch. Which is why I don't have a television. Also, I never got a converter box, and we gave my television to my girlfriend's mom after her house was burglarized.

That being said, we tend to watch one show a night on Hulu, and then on Saturday mornings we usually watch about 4 or 5 Daily Shows and Colbert Reports from the week while we clean the place. Definitely can't stay up past 10 though - thank god for the internet.