Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanking NBC does not mean he's OK with what happened. He acknowledged that they're having their differences right now, but NBC made him, and gave him his career to begin with. The fact that he was still able to acknowledge that was refreshing. I loved his NBC bashing jokes, but I was happy to see him thank them anyway. Going out with a "fuck NBC" rant was the easy way out, because everyone expected that.

I guess I was just expecting something different, and thanking NBC was not part of that "something different".

But if you were expecting something different, and he gave you something unexpected, then didn't he give you something different, and so you got what you expected?

NBC hired Leno, NBC Hired Conan, NBC fires Leno to keep Conan, NBC forces Conan to quit to keep Leno.

Leno is only doing what anyone else would, LOOK FOR A JOB. Sure he's not the funniest cat in town, but you just don't turn it down when you never wanted to leave it in the first place. No doubt there's going to be an asteriks by Leno's name as the Tonight Show host now.

Conan ended gracefully and with class (kinda)....he's a freebird now, free to fly to FX or Fox or wherever he goes.

Never air your dirty laundry to your customer/clients. Behind the scenes is a different story. Conan may have been saying "Thank you" on air, but he probably had a few "Fuck you's" during the negotiation process.

He had every right to have a few fuck you's during the negotiation process. NBC wasn't exactly fair to him.

But that doesn't mean he wasn't genuinely thankful at the same time.

But that doesn't mean he wasn't genuinely thankful at the same time.

Yeah, thanks for giving me the "best job in the world", giving all the good guests to Leno and fucking me in the ass after 7 months.

Guest Speed Racer

Yeah, thanks for giving me my first job at a network, my first talk show, and a shot at hosting what I consider to be the greatest late-night show in the world; 20 years of employment with this network has done a lot for me. We had our differences at the end, but without this network, I would likely be nothing.

Fixed it for you.

Yeah, thanks for giving me the "best job in the world", giving all the good guests to Leno and fucking me in the ass after 7 months.

But without NBC, Conan's career is a whole different thing, and he most likely wouldn't be in a position to host any talk show. Granted, the NBC people that gave him his chance 20 years ago are different from those who ass fucked him now, but NBC still gave him his career. The Tonight Show with Conan clearly didn't work, but that doesn't, shouldn't and apparently didn't change the fact that Conan owes a lot to NBC.

But without NBC, Conan's career is a whole different thing, and he most likely wouldn't be in a position to host any talk show. Granted, the NBC people that gave him his chance 20 years ago are different from those who ass fucked him now, but NBC still gave him his career. The Tonight Show with Conan clearly didn't work, but that doesn't, shouldn't and apparently didn't change the fact that Conan owes a lot to NBC.

If $32 mil severance = ass fucked, then sign me up and pass the KY.

So he got ass fucked, but NBC was kind enough to give him a reacharound.

edit: And yes, I'd probably sign up for that too, if it involved a $32 million windfall.

Via Ain't It Cool News:

"“Leno” is getting no boost from the news its star is retaking “The Tonight Show.” The show matched its very low Monday nadir, losing not only to ABC’s “Castle” at 10 p.m. but also a repeat of CBS’ “CSI Miami,” USA’s “WWE Raw,” and History’s “Pawn Stars.” NBC just announced that primetime’s “Leno” is leaving Feb. 9, two days earlier than planned. The 10 p.m. slot will be filled on Feb. 10 and 11 by repeats of “SVU” and “The Office.”

A bit odd to end the show on a Tuesday? I'm still interested to see Jay's Tonight Show numbers when he returns. I'm guessing they won't be the same. I think that a lot of people who looked at Jay as a better option than Dave may not tune in due to obvious recent events.

"Oh yeah. The Chin. I don't like him anymore after what he did to The Hair. I didn't like The Hair either. I just ended up watching The Gap Toothed Fornicator"

Edit: LOL! True story that resembles the kind of talk above. When I used to work at a movie theater in the box office, I had 2 older women come up to buy tickets for In The Land Of Women. I'll never forget the question that they asked me to confirm if this was in fact the movie that they wanted to see, "Is that the movie with The Nose?" LOL :D They saw the name Adam Brody and thought that it was Adrien Brody who I guess after them mentioning has a rather largish nose. They were upset that The Nose wasn't in In The Land Of Women.

Yes, it's still getting ass-fucked. Money is one thing, but, as some have said in this thread, he would trade the money for the job.

Wilco left Reprise. Should they have stayed working on that plantation, thanking them when other companies had new opportunities of progression and Reprise didn't?

Guest Speed Racer

Wilco left Reprise. Should they have stayed working on that plantation, thanking them when other companies had new opportunities of progression and Reprise didn't?

Wilco stayed with Reprise until Reprise let them go, though they had the opportunity to conform to Reprise's requests. Conan stayed with NBC until NBC let him go, though he had opportunities to conform to their requests. Both Conan and Wilco stayed until there were no more opportunities to grow.

On a related note, NBC picked up a pilot from Conan's production company today. I'll laugh heartily (or at least come real close to chuckling) if NBC puts it in the 10pm time-slot.