Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We simply do not agree with the decisions that Jay made, and no amount of explanations will change the fact that we disagree with the decisions that he made.

I can understand that. Part of me wishes he'd just left and let Conan sink or swim.

But I'm not 60+ years old with no kids and no life other than telling jokes and being a host. Maybe Jay's not ready for his life to start winding down.

Conan's gonna be fine.

I can understand that. Part of me wishes he'd just left and let Conan sink or swim.

But I'm not 60+ years old with no kids and no life other than telling jokes and being a host. Maybe Jay's not ready for his life to start winding down.

Conan's gonna be fine.

But Jay says himself that he's a comedian first. He said in the Oprah interview that he basically lives off of his stand up money.

So if he didn't have a show, based on his own admissions, he'd be just fine doing stand up comedy instead.

Also, from tvgawker. Kind of interesting analysis of his Jay's character via Wizard Of Oz characters.

As with any great shift in action, it's natural to wonder why Leno's behavior changed so abruptly. Using The Wizard of Oz as a guide, there are three logical explanations—and character attributes—for Leno's change of tune.

1) The Scarecrow (No Brain): Leno simply doesn't realize the magnitude of the consequences of his refusal to retire (or, at least, leave NBC), and began the week with a naive, "business as usual" attitude.

2) The Tin Man (No Heart): Leno doesn't care about the effect he had on O'Brien (and countless others) due to his role in the controversy, and—now that he's gotten what he wanted out of it—feels no need to continue defending himself.

3) The Cowardly Lion (No Courage): Leno finally does realize what a mess he caused, is aware of the friendships he damaged, and has a deep understanding of the all time low level of support he has in both the creative community and that of public opinion, but is simply too afraid to own up to it. So, instead, he all but shuts down and meekly tries to pick up the pieces through avoidance of the issues at hand.

It's clear that Leno is not the Scarecrow; if he was, he would not have been able to ice O'Brien in the first place.

The Tin Man, he also is not—even if some would argue that Leno lacks a heart, his pride and need for acceptance would have forced him to continue making statements about the fallout.

Therefore, it's clear that Leno is the Cowardly Lion—aware of his problems but unable to face them—constantly, privately running away until he is able to find a moment of peace, or the elusive Badge of Courage.

You and others seem to suggest that it's THEN that Leno should have just bowed out of doing ANY show anywhere and give Conan his deserved shot at The Tonight Show.

But why should Jay be expected to do that when he's the one who said from day 1 that he didn't want to give up his show.

BECAUSE HE FUCKING SAID, TO CONAN AND TO THE WORLD, THAT HE WOULD. ON HIS OWN SHOW.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't see it at work, but I'm assuming it's the NBC promo for Leno's return to 11:35 with a certain Radiohead song substituted for "Get Back." Brilliant. :lol

Yep, well done. Do we have anything further on the Conan to Fox rumors yet?

--Mike

Love the Leno/Radiohead promo :D.

Obviously there's probably more back story than I'm aware of, but I see this all as a guy being offered his job back that he never wanted to leave in the first place. Congrats to Leno.

That is it, really. He belongs there.

Wow! I can't believe that this thread is back in action.

But yeah, I also read that Kevin Eubanks is out of a job. Not sure if he was forced out or if they want someone else to say "hahha that's right, Jay!"

I could do that job, if you paid me in Chex mix.

Wow! I can't believe that this thread is back in action.

But yeah, I also read that Kevin Eubanks is out of a job. Not sure if he was forced out or if they want someone else to say "hahha that's right, Jay!"

I could do that job, if you paid me in Chex mix.

I'd do it for Chex mix too, but it would have to be homemade, and I would need creative control over what goes into it.