Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

Currently watching Craig Ferguson reinvent his show for an experiment.

Tonight he has no audience in attendance and is only talking to one guest Stephen Fry.

Of course, this is an homage to the original host of The Late Late Show Tom Snyder.

You got to love Ferguson for taking a risk like this and having a serious conversation with someone for close to an hour.

I hope that he does this at least once a week or once every two weeks.

:thumbup

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favre will be on Leno next week.

Jay Leno returns to "The Tonight Show" after the Olympics, and he's got a great guest in his first week: Brett Favre(notes).

It should be awesome. They can talk about how they're both unable to exit a job gracefully, how they both hate the idea of stepping aside for someone younger, and they can both give tips on how to be disingenuous and loathsome throughout the entire process. I expect that Leno and Favre will get along swimmingly.

:lol

For now they are all up on Youtube: part 1.

That was pretty good, though it'd be tough with guests who aren't stephen fry. i always wondered why every late night show follows the same goddamn pattern of monologue/desk/guest/comedy bit/guest/musical guest(or cooking!). I was hoping Conan would shake things up with the Tonight Show, but there was probably pressure to keep it familiar. Hopefully if Conan gets a new talk show, he'll have a bit of Ferguson's spirit, and put some variety into it.

Maybe they can get Jack Black to play Angel. (No!) NBC is a weird network.

Dermot Mulroney to star in "Rockford" update

By Nellie Andreeva Sun Feb 28, 10:10 PM PST

Dermot Mulroney is NBC's new Jim Rockford.

In his first regular TV role, Mulroney is set to play the iconic private eye in the network's updated take on the hit 1970s drama that starred James Garner in the title role.

The new Jim Rockford is described as "slightly crumpled, wry humored, cynical, world weary, compassionate when it's called for and easily irritated by morons."

His troubled past includes doing some time as a convict and as a cop.

Aside from an arc on NBC's "Friends" in 2003, "My Best Friend's Wedding" co-star Mulroney has been focused on features, most recently appearing in "Burn After Reading."

NBC's "Rockford Files" was written by "House" creator David Shore, who is executive producing with Steve Carell.

ConanOBrien

Besides growing a beard, and kissing dolphins, Conan is on Twitter.

Ticketmaster Confirms Conan O'Brien Show; Coco Nation Rejoices

It’s true! Conan O’Brien has cleared his busy schedule of Twitter brain trusts and dolphin meet and greets to perform a live show in April, fulfilling Megan Mullally’s prophecy that Coco will “have the last laugh”. TMZ broke the story an hour ago, with confirmation of one show from Ticketmaster.

While the Tickemaster page does not say what exactly the show will be, it says that the event will be held Friday, April 30 at Dodge Theatre in Phoenix, AZ. Tickets will go on sale on March 8 at 10:00 MST, with ticket prices ranging from $36.50 to $76.50.

As reported previously, a comedy tour is a clever way to skirt the clause in Conan’s exit deal from NBC which stipulated that the comedian could not appear on television before September. As of two weeks ago, Conan’s representatives at William Morris Endeavor were still trying to secure dates for the show. No other dates have been announced.

Developing…

When it's all said and done, I just hope this has a positive effect on this young woman's life. I'm sure Conan is hoping the same thing.

The fact that the wedding is in September -- after Conan's TV ban ends -- may work out in everyone's favor ... assuming Conan ends up with a show somewhere else.

link (Detroit Free Press)

Conan boosts local tweeter

By B.J. HAMMERSTEIN

DETROIT.METROMIX.COM

It's been quite the week for Fowlerville's Sarah Killen.

On Friday, the 19-year-old had three friends connected to her @LovelyButton Twitter handle. Today she's at about 20,000 followers and is scheduled to appear on CNN's "Larry King Live" tonight.

It's all because of Conan O'Brien, who joined the Twittersphere last month and decided it would be funny to follow one "random" person. On Friday, he chose Killen and tweeted: "Sarah Killen, your life is about to change."

Killen, who plans to marry her 21-year-old fiance, John Slowki Jr., in September, says that until O'Brien and thousands of new friends entered her life, money was tight and the cost of her wedding was a serious concern.

Now, a handmade wedding dress, shoes, wedding bands, cases of wine from California, an Apple iMac and lots of other goodies are heading her way before the big day.

Venita Killen, Sarah's mother, says her daughter is using her newfound fame to raise awareness and money for charities, including the Children's Hunger Fund. The two also plan to walk together for breast cancer research during the 2010 Susan G. Komen Michigan 3-Day for the Cure in August.

"I am very proud of Sarah (for) using this as an opportunity to bring support to charities," Venita Killen told Names & Faces on Tuesday. She said her daughter, who hopes to attend the University of Michigan, was busy taking college-entrance exams Tuesday.

Meanwhile, O'Brien has been invited to the big wedding on Sept. 25 and there's talk that Sarah could be married on live television -- perhaps on some new talk show hosted by O'Brien.

Has anyone watched the Marriage Ref? Jesus Mary and Joseph is it awful... I watched when Tina Fey and one of the Desperate Housewives were the guests. Anything uttered by any one of them was reacted to (by the other two) as if it were the most hilarious thing EVER, with knee-slaps and ROFLing. I thought I was watching William B. Williams on SCTV. I haven't seen that kind of ass-kissing and fake laughing since Dean Martin's celebrity roasts.

On another message board I am on, someone put forth the notion that NBC is going to go with Jerry as The Tonight Show host at some point.

RE: The Marriage Ref

I think I really hit the nail on the head with this description of it.

"What plays out as another daytime self help show is really about getting primetime celebrities (including amazing pairings) to come front and center."

Yeah, I think I'll watch again this week to see Larry David and Ricky Gervais on the same show. And of course Madonna is on too.

They spend so little time on the actual couples and more on the celebrities' take on their "issue/concerns".

I wish there was another avenue to get these celeb pairings.

Last week was nice with both Tina Fey and Eva Longoria.

I can't recall who was on the 1st show after the Winter "Drunk Dares". :ninja

I always thought he was pretty much retired after Seinfeld went off the air. What has he done? A few tours, and a kids movie? I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I was surprised when I heard that he was going to do a new show.

I've never watched it.

RE: The Marriage Ref

I think I really hit the nail on the head with this description of it.

What plays out as another daytime self help show is really about getting primetime celebrities (including amazing pairings) to come front and center.

Not really. Your description doesn't point out how awful the show is, which IS the nail.

Even the cartoon intro is wrong. Seinfeld narrates a "rounding the bases" metaphor only to wait for the safe or out call from who? an UMP! Not a ref, an ump. So what is it, the marriage ump? or the marriage ref?

it's a great idea for a modern sort of newlywed game/hollywood squares kinda show (not in form but style), but the execution is pretty poor. they have the panel give their input, then the douchebag host just makes his own decision. what's the point there? if they had a better host and a bit of a different format I think it would be mildly entertaining.

thank cod for parks and recreation, modern family, big bang theory and rules of engagement. finally some decent sitcoms on air.