Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have to read this Ferguson novel. I can tell he's a brilliant writer, and fiction seems like it might be a good forum for his talents.

Check it out! Really. And stick with it. You really can see improvement as it goes. His novel philosophical and funny, dirty and endearing. Ferguson knows to wrap things up all together, too.

I read an article in The Boston Globe today that mentioned that there's a stronger possibility that Conan may end up on FX and not FOX.

Oh, look I found the article.

Conan On FX? & Louis C.K. on Conan

Edit: FX appears to be a wiser choice with their programming of 10p.m. shows, BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT am I the only one who is fucking confused as to their sporadic nature of when they'll be on? Meaning take shows like Nip/Tuck & Damages, both seem to come and go when they please. This really doesn't help Conan I think. A lot of those basic cable shows seem to run by their own schedules.

Take Damages: Season 1 premiered in July, Season 2 & 3 in January.

Nip/Tuck: Season 1 - July, 2 - June, 3- Sept, 4 - Sept, 5 - Oct, 6 - Oct LAST episode is in March this year.

Rescue Me is planning to end in 2011.

Sons Of Anarchy is supposed to return for a 3rd season in Sept of 2010.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia usually begins in Sept and runs straight for 13 weeks.

I heard some news this morning on the AM radio that Conan has signed off on a big settlement. I also read somewhere yesterday that this coming Friday may be his last show (on NBC).

I sort of thought this would happen. I could never really see his style of comedy fitting into the long established slot of The Tonight Show. I don't know the average age of the person watching, but I have always figured that The Tonight Show drew a more mature viewing audience.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't really have any memories of watching the show back when Carson was on. I am sure I saw it, but I don't recall watching it enough to have memories of the show.

I do recall watching Letterman when he was on in the daytime, and watching his show at night back in the early 1990s.

Guest Speed Racer

Assuming Conan gets a show on Fox, I'm beginning to wonder...

Is there any downside to this NBC fiasco for Conan and his staff?

Let me get this straight: if Leno's staff lose their jobs - even with severance - it is the total end of the world to you; if Conan's staff lose their jobs with severance, it's raining down diamonds?

Let me get this straight: if Leno's staff lose their jobs - even with severance - it is the total end of the world to you; if Conan's staff lose their jobs with severance, it's raining down diamonds?

no kidding.

it seems that the dollar figures are the only thing in play to some in this thread as well. is it so impossible for people to accept that Conan and staff WANTED to do the Tonight Show (not just get paid)? So much so that they all relocated themselves and families to do so? That they thought it would be their workhome for years to come?

Guest Speed Racer

So much so that they all relocated themselves and families to do so? That they thought it would be their workhome for years to come?

Oooh, I didn't even think about the relocation part of it. Hasn't Leno been based out of L.A. for years? Conan's staff really got shat upon (of course, as JN will likely point out, Conan didn't pledge to take a bullet for them like Leno did).

I meant to put up this link last night for TV Gawker. They have all of the best late night bits over the past few weeks.

They arrange clips by night and also by show.

TV Gawker The Late Night Wars 2: Electric Boogaloo

Check out Norm MacDonald's guest appearance on Conan from last night. It's very funny.

Also, Dave's analysis of Jay's "plea" is amazing.

LENO TO HIS STAFF:

Good news. Though we won't be doing "The Jay Leno Show", we're gonna get a chance to do The Tonight Show again and hopefully we can all keep this going another 5+ years.

CONAN TO HIS STAFF:

Sorry guys. I was offered the chance to keep The Tonight Show and to keep us all employed, but just didn't feel like it was the right thing to do. Of course, it's partly our own fault, as we couldn't even top the ratings of an old, grumpy, cynical, intern-banging, tired, gap-toothed late night host who got destroyed the 10 years previous by another old guy.

Seriously, Conan and his staff will be FINE. I think Conan starting fresh on another network is the best thing for him and his comic sensibilities. Yeah, it sucks that so many families re-located, but I'm guessing nobody on his staff will have to take a side job at Best Buy.

Conan's popularity is SOARING. He's a freakin' cult hero right now.

I'm dead serious. This fiasco has turned out BRILLIANTLY for Conan. He should send NBC and Jay Leno royalty checks for the rest of his career.

It's the Andy Richter curse. I think that is right - in the long run Conan will make out in the end.

I never heard this before:

Sandler's revelation that he and Chris Farley were actually fired by NBC in 1995
Guest Speed Racer

This fiasco has turned out BRILLIANTLY for Conan.

Except for the part where he isn't the host of the Tonight Show (remember, that's the prize in all of this, not the $$), and his staff who relocated to do the Tonight Show (remember, that's the prizein all of this) are going to be doing something else.

I'm dead serious. This fiasco has turned out BRILLIANTLY for Conan. He should send NBC and Jay Leno royalty checks for the rest of his career.

I guess you and I just agree to disagree on this. I think that Conan would trade the payout in a heartbeat to continue hosting the Tonight Show, at 11:35 p.m., without having to worry about Leno fucking with it.

I guess you and I just agree to disagree on this. I think that Conan would trade the payout in a heartbeat to continue hosting the Tonight Show, at 11:35 p.m., without having to worry about Leno fucking with it.

This.