Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was as staged as the TSwift-KWest VMA's thing.

Haha, I think I said the same thing in the TSwift-KWest thread. Everyone is talking about Kimmel right now. It's a windfall for him. Of course he was going to do this!

I agree with you on your observations, but it's all television. Plus, you could argue that Jay has no problem with looking like the bad guy otherwise he would've let Conan keep the Tonight Show. Remember Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman. That was all an act and people thought that he had "finally lost it."

I think Jay's decision to reclaim the Tonight Show was about ego, competitiveness, and wanting to go out on top. To retire after a fairly dismal showing at 10 p.m. would be a hard pill to swallow for anyone, especially someone who's been in the game as long as he has.

As for the Letterman/Phoenix episode, people had already been talking about some pseudo-documentary Phoenix was making, so when he came out there and acted that way it wasn't really a surprise to those keeping abreast of his recent antics. I don't think he and Letterman prearranged anything, but Letterman knew he could have some fun with the situation. Now the time Crispin Clover was on, well that's a different story :D.

Judging from the length of this thread, you would think people are actually watching these shows. Which they are not. While interesting from a business perspective, I am sleeping during these shows, and thus I don't give a shit one way or another.

Yeah but you gave a shit enough to comment in the thread about shows you don't watch.

I said I am interested in the business side of these things. I don't really care who is a dick to who, who deserves what, etc.

I watch some of both shows when I can.

What I find very interesting is that Conan is getting screwed, and it SEEMED like a very negative thing for him that he wouldn't be doing an 11:30-12:30 Tonight Show anymore, yet it's become the exact OPPOSITE. He's always had a huge cult following from his Late Night show. But now he's become this sympathetic figure that it seems everyone is siding with. I'm guessing a huge chunk of the new 40% viewers to his show hardly ever watched Conan nor gave a crap about his show.

But it's easy for many, especially younger people, to jump on the rich old guy who tells supposedly lame jokes (I'm really getting annoyed at this notion that Leno isn't funny anymore. Yes, maybe his STYLE is dated....he tells jokes the same way he did 20 years ago....but his jokes, in my opinion, are like they've always been.)

So poor ol' Conan's getting dumped on, yet I think this whole NBC, Jeff Zucker disaster is gonna end up giving a HUGE boost to Conan's career. If he goes to Fox with a show, all these new fans who've crawled out of the woodwork are gonna be stoked to watch it and will love being on the side of a hip, funny guy like Conan. With all the media and celebrities jumping on Conan's bandwagon, watching the Conan show is gonna be the cool, trendy thing to do. Conan's smart and will probably have running gags taking shots at NBC and/or Leno. Conan having a show on Fox, in my opinion, seems a much better fit than hosting The Tonight Show. When Conan's 90 years old and on his deathbed, he may look back and think how wonderful it was that Zucker botched everything and that Leno didn't want to leave TV in 2010.

I like Leno, and if he DOES in fact keep the Tonight Show, I think he'll continue to do very well. It will be interesting to see how the ratings shake out. I happen to think the big loser, at least in ratings, will be Letterman.

As for Kimmel, he was funny, but it came across a little punk-ish at times. Leno has a thick skin and 'gets' show business, which is why he invited Kimmel on his show. I'm sure Leno knew some of that was coming, but when Kimmel told Leno to just go away because he has 800 million dollars...well, that's just stupid. Leno doesn't have kids, and comedy IS his life. And he's been very successful. Why should he leave what he loves doing just to make Kimmel or Conan happy? I rather like that Leno will be around a little longer to push Kimmel and Conan and others to make their shows better.

If Conan brings Howard Stern out for one of his final shows, that will be hilarious. Stern has made it clear that he sides with Conan, and has always hated Leno. If Conan knows for sure he's out, then he's going to go down shooting.

And I don't think the Kimmel thing was entirely scripted. Jay seemed really uncomfortable as the interview progressed, so I don't think he expected Kimmel to go for the jugular like he did. I think Leno expected jokes, but not as harsh as what Kimmel gave. And even so, what would Leno have to gain from Kimmel coming on his show, and calling him a monster repeatedly? Obviously Jimmy gets more credibility, but I don't see why Leno would agree to something that makes him look even worse in this situation. So I think it was supposed to be casual jokes from Jimmy, but he went for it anyway.

I watch some of both shows when I can.

What I find very interesting is that Conan is getting screwed, and it SEEMED like a very negative thing for him that he wouldn't be doing an 11:30-12:30 Tonight Show anymore, yet it's become the exact OPPOSITE. He's always had a huge cult following from his Late Night show. But now he's become this sympathetic figure that it seems everyone is siding with. I'm guessing a huge chunk of the new 40% viewers to his show hardly ever watched Conan nor gave a crap about his show.

But it's easy for many, especially younger people, to jump on the rich old guy who tells supposedly lame jokes (I'm really getting annoyed at this notion that Leno isn't funny anymore. Yes, maybe his STYLE is dated....he tells jokes the same way he did 20 years ago....but his jokes, in my opinion, are like they've always been.)

So poor ol' Conan's getting dumped on, yet I think this whole NBC, Jeff Zucker disaster is gonna end up giving a HUGE boost to Conan's career. If he goes to Fox with a show, all these new fans who've crawled out of the woodwork are gonna be stoked to watch it and will love being on the side of a hip, funny guy like Conan. With all the media and celebrities jumping on Conan's bandwagon, watching the Conan show is gonna be the cool, trendy thing to do. Conan's smart and will probably have running gags taking shots at NBC and/or Leno. Conan having a show on Fox, in my opinion, seems a much better fit than hosting The Tonight Show. When Conan's 90 years old and on his deathbed, he may look back and think how wonderful it was that Zucker botched everything and that Leno didn't want to leave TV in 2010.

I like Leno, and if he DOES in fact keep the Tonight Show, I think he'll continue to do very well. It will be interesting to see how the ratings shake out. I happen to think the big loser, at least in ratings, will be Letterman.

As for Kimmel, he was funny, but it came across a little punk-ish at times. Leno has a thick skin and 'gets' show business, which is why he invited Kimmel on his show. I'm sure Leno knew some of that was coming, but when Kimmel told Leno to just go away because he has 800 million dollars...well, that's just stupid. Leno doesn't have kids, and comedy IS his life. And he's been very successful. Why should he leave what he loves doing just to make Kimmel or Conan happy? I rather like that Leno will be around a little longer to push Kimmel and Conan and others to make their shows better.

Doesn't Jay say all the time how he still does stand up for basically free, just because he loves to do it? So even without a talk show, he's not leaving comedy.

And even so, what would Leno have to gain from Kimmel coming on his show, and calling him a monster repeatedly? Obviously Jimmy gets more credibility, but I don't see why Leno would agree to something that makes him look even worse in this situation. So I think it was supposed to be casual jokes from Jimmy, but he went for it anyway.

Ratings, duh.

Anything that's put on TV is done with the hope that it will attract viewers. This isn't LIVE. If this had really bothered Jay, and he was not prepared for it, he could have edited it out of the show.

Yea, I'm aware of all that. Even if it was set up, the whole idea made little sense for Leno. Unless he figured his reputation is already fucked, why not go with it?

I think it was to prove he's capable of taking all the ribbing he's gotten lately and that he's good humored about it. It's the same reason Palin appeared on Saturday Night Live with Tina Fey - a good PR move when you are getting decimated on a daily / nightly basis.

I think it was to prove he's capable of taking all the ribbing he's gotten lately and that he's good humored about it. It's the same reason Palin appeared on Saturday Night Live with Tina Fey - a good PR move when you are getting decimated on a daily / nightly basis.

Yes. And even John McCain made an appearance on Saturday Night Live during the elections.

Winston Legthigh, really hit it on the head or in this case: chin :brow (something that may have crossed my mind, but I couldn't grasp onto the thought long enough).

It could have been edited out, but people wouldn't tune in last night if it weren't for an expected ribbing of Jay by Jimmy.

Doesn't Jay say all the time how he still does stand up for basically free, just because he loves to do it? So even without a talk show, he's not leaving comedy.

Maybe it's like asking a recording artist to only do live shows, and not release any albums or songs to itunes. I'm sure Leno likes getting his comedy to millions of TV viewers nightly, rather than a few thousand select people at a comedy club.

And doing stand up wouldn't pay his loyal staff a pay check.

If Conan gets a show on Fox, TV viewers win. We'll get a most-likely edgier and normal and better Conan and those that like Leno can still check out The Tonight Show. And fans of dramas or reality shows (not me) will get more to choose from in prime time.

Problem is, if Conan goes to Fox and his show is at 11:30, I don't see how Fox can provide a sufficient lead-in for him to garner decent ratings. Their local news is from 10-11, and there's another half hour to kill, somehow.

If they put him on at 11, he may still suffer from a poor Fox lead-in, but he may benefit from people who don't care about local news switching over after their 10 PM prime-time shows end. But he'll be competing directly with Jon Stewart, and I have a feeling there's a fair amount of overlap between their audiences.

I don't know ... it'll be interesting, whatever happens.

Oh, and another thought (if I haven't expressed it already): Letterman's not getting any younger. Maybe he'll see this as an opportune time to announce his own retirement, and anoint Conan as his successor at CBS? Just a thought.

I think Leno's staff is aware that they won't be able to cling to Leno for their income forever. I don't know how loyal he is, and all that nonsense. But I don't think his writers/producers will suddenly be out on the streets if Leno is no longer on TV.

And I don't think there's any chance of Letterman giving up his show now. After his sex scandal, and this whole deal, he's on a bit of a hot streak. And I just don't see it as likely that he'll give up his job, no matter how much sympathy he'll have for Conan.

Leno's brand of comedy has always been white bread, braindead garbage. Always has. Why millions of Americas still tune in to see tired played out cliches like Jaywalking or "headlines" is something I will never understand. The dude is NOT funny, and its an insult to the truly funny guys/gals working the club circuit who could blow him away without even trying. His sell by (assuming he ever had one) expired a LONG time ago. But judging by the top albums/movies/tv programs in this country, its obvious dumb is what people want, and until they wake up and demand better, its exactly what they'll get. Count me out.

And I don't think there's any chance of Letterman giving up his show now. After his sex scandal, and this whole deal, he's on a bit of a hot streak. And I just don't see it as likely that he'll give up his job, no matter how much sympathy he'll have for Conan.

Ultimately, I agree with you. I just thought I'd float the idea...

Leno's brand of comedy has always been white bread, braindead garbage. Always has. Why millions of Americas still tune in to see tired played out cliches like Jaywalking or "headlines" is something I will never understand. The dude is NOT funny, and its an insult to the truly funny guys/gals working the club circuit who could blow him away without even trying.

Have you ever seen old Leno stand-up footage from before he got The Tonight Show? He was seriously funny, and his material was fairly edgy. Back then, there were very few comics who could "blow him away without even trying."

It's all those years of lowest-common-denominator network-approved humor that turned Jay into what he is now. But once upon a time, he was great.

Ultimately, I agree with you. I just thought I'd float the idea...

It would sure make Letterman go out on a high note, and pretty much do it in the opposite way as the Letterman/Leno thing a while back.

Conan will surface on some network, that's for sure.

The awful thing, to me, is that Jimmy Fallon could become the next in line for the Tonight Show. :no