Paul McCartney solo

These days I'm leaning more toward Paul's pop confections than John's socially conscious rock-n-roll. I just bought Band On the Run, Ram, and Red Rose Speedway. What else is good? Sorry if this has been covered before but I did a search and found nothing.

Get his new "The Fireman" disc. Best thing he's put out since "Abbey Road"!

yeah, i actually really liked some of the tunes on this. (you can hear it all here. I'm a fan of "Sing the Changes") although Band on the Run is the best post-Beatles Paul for my money.

Not to be too off topic here (I'd say Wingspan is a place to start branching out from) but is that James Coburn on the cover of "Band on the Run"? I just grabbed it and I can't believe I never noticed before. I still have the poster inside too! Who the hell else is on this cover? How did I never notice this?!

The cover of Band on the Run is also noteworthy. The cover photo was taken on 28 October 1973 against a garden wall in Osterley Park, Brentford. It depicts the now well-known shot of Paul, Linda, and Denny plus six other celebrities dressed as convicts caught in the spotlight of a prison searchlight. They are:

Michael Parkinson (Chat-show host and journalist)

Kenny Lynch (Actor, comedian and singer)

James Coburn (Actor)

Clement Freud (Columnist, gourmet, raconteur, Member of Parliament, Just a Minute panellist and grandson of Sigmund)

Christopher Lee (Actor, then best known for roles, particularly as Dracula, in Hammer Horror films; now most recognizable as Saruman in the Lord Of The Rings film trilogy and as Count Dooku in the Star Wars prequel trilogy)

John Conteh (Liverpool boxer who later became World Light-Heavyweight champion)

References to the cover were to be made later by McCartney himself (in the video for "Spies Like Us", along with Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd) as well as others (such as the movie poster for the Dreamworks' animated film Madagascar, which depicts the main characters standing against a wall in a pose similar to the original "Band on the Run" photo).

Ram & McCartney are a must as Shakey said.

I do like Wings at the speed of sound.

and who doesn't like Monkberry Moon Dellight

The cover of Band on the Run is also noteworthy. The cover photo was taken on 28 October 1973 against a garden wall in Osterley Park, Brentford. It depicts the now well-known shot of Paul, Linda, and Denny plus six other celebrities dressed as convicts caught in the spotlight of a prison searchlight. They are:

Michael Parkinson (Chat-show host and journalist)

Kenny Lynch (Actor, comedian and singer)

James Coburn (Actor)

Clement Freud (Columnist, gourmet, raconteur, Member of Parliament, Just a Minute panellist and grandson of Sigmund)

Christopher Lee (Actor, then best known for roles, particularly as Dracula, in Hammer Horror films; now most recognizable as Saruman in the Lord Of The Rings film trilogy and as Count Dooku in the Star Wars prequel trilogy)

John Conteh (Liverpool boxer who later became World Light-Heavyweight champion)

References to the cover were to be made later by McCartney himself (in the video for "Spies Like Us", along with Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd) as well as others (such as the movie poster for the Dreamworks' animated film Madagascar, which depicts the main characters standing against a wall in a pose similar to the original "Band on the Run" photo).

Interesting stuff! I did not know all of that.

I have a soft spot for Flaming Pie. :wub

:thumbup I've always thought this was his best effort since the '70s heyday.

From the 70's, most anything is good.

80's...not so much...

90's, if you can stomach the production Flowers In The Dirt, and Off The Ground have some good songs. Flaming Pie is the best from this decade.

from the new millennium, Driving Rain is good. Memory Almost Full isn't awful, and Chaos and Creation is the most solid.

Now I really wanna hear this Fireman album.

I'm not much of a Paul fan, but I own Band On The Run and Wings Over America (great live album, and film).

1970 McCartney

1971 Ram

1971 Wild Life

1973 Red Rose Speedway

1973 Band on the Run

1975 Venus and Mars

1976 Wings at the Speed of Sound

1976 Wings Over America

1978 London Town

1979 Back to the Egg

1980 McCartney II

1982 Tug of War

1983 Pipes of Peace

1984 Give My Regards to Broad Street

1986 Press to Play

1988 Снова в СССР

1989 Flowers in the Dirt

1990 Tripping the Live Fantastic

1991 Unplugged (The Official Bootleg)

1993 Off the Ground

1993 Paul is Live

1997 Flaming Pie

1999 Run Devil Run

2001 Driving Rain

2002 Back in the U.S.

2003 Back in the World

2005 Chaos and Creation in the Backyard

2007 Memory Almost Full

I think "McCartney" is one of his best.

A lot of people don't like "Pipes of Peace" but he's got some really great tunes on there.

"Flowers in the Dirt" was a good one as well. Especially his collaborations with Elvis Costello.

"Flaming Pie" I used to like but after repeated listens in recent years, I find it really flat. There is a lot of filler on that one.

"Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" I feel stands up better than "Flaming Pie."

"Give My Regards to Broad Street" has some good original material as well as a lot of reinterpreted Beatles tunes.

As with most McCartney releases, you've got to sift through some of the cheesier stuff and sometimes look past the production to get to the heart of a great song. Sometimes the cheesier stuff is what you're in the mood for (and that's OK!).