Jet Crashes Into The Hudson River

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=...&id=6606410

The plane is an Airbus 320, US Airways flight 1549 from LaGuardia to Charlotte. There were 146 passengers on board the flight, along with 5 crew members. There is no report on their conditions.

The plane went down near 57th street. The plane took off from LaGuardia at 3:11 p.m.

There are reports that a bird struck the plane on takeoff, however that is not confirmed at this time.

Ferries were rescuing passengers, some who were seen standing on the wings of the plane.

The plane was submerged in the icy waters up to the windows, and rescue crews had opened the door and were pulling passengers in yellow life vests from the plane.

The plane was quickly submerged about 30 minutes after the crash.

Stay with Eyewitness News and 7online.com for additional information on this breaking story.

those are mostly NY Waterway ferrys responding to the rescue. heroes they are!

People like to talk shit about NYers being mean or whatever. Say what you will. We f*cking rally when we need to. Right on NY Waterways!

A flock of geese. Cool - one last thing to blame on Bush, and just under the wire!

I blame it on this post, which went up yesterday on BoingBoing.

I'm hoping that everyone has survived the crash -- for obvious reasons, but also because it would keep the streak mentioned at that link going.

The press conference is wrapping up. Everyone is alright! (They think). New Yorkers are amazing. It reminded me of that plane that went in the Potomac when I was a kid. Much better results this time.

Amazing story. Looks like the crew did everything they possibly could to minimize the danger, and stayed on until it was clear that all the passengers were safely out. Next time I see some jackass harassing a flight attendant for an extra blanket, I'm going to remind him that this is why they're really on board with us.

I was just reading on CNN that the pilot walked the plane twice after everyone else was off, to be certain no one was still on board. Can you imagine how surreal that must've been for him, slogging down the aisle, knowing he was in the middle of the Hudson?! Never mind the danger factor, since I suppose the plane might still have sunk at any moment.

And hats off to him...he sounds like an incredible pilot! :worship

This is why, at 38K feet when the turbulence really sucks and I am truly beginning to freak out, that I stop and remember that the odds are high that my pilot once landed safely on an aircraft carrier bobbing in heavy water in the dark.

Kudos to him and everyone aboard for remaining calm!