Wedding Dance with Parents

We had no trouble coming up with a first dance, but the dance with the parents is more challenging. We have talked about the fact that it should be appropriate (there are a lot of good songs out there, but not many that don't have some lyric that would be creepy to think of it between a father/daughter and mother/son) and short. we've come up with a few:

Wind Beneath My Wings (ha! Just kidding)

Pink Moon - Nick Drake (this was our first thought, but then were told it is not a nice love song, but rather a song about death and the apocalypse)

Naive Melody - Talking Heads (nice song, but seems a bit too upbeat for a parental dance and maybe a bit cliche at this point)

Comes A Time - Neil Young

The Wind - Cat Stevens

Anyone have any thoughts on these and/or other suggestions?

The Wind is probably my favorite Cat song - but it's not even 2 minutes long!

Since your a phan, I'll go with Waste.

The Wind is probably my favorite Cat song - but it's not even 2 minutes long!

Since your a phan, I'll go with Waste.

Two minutes is plenty! :lol We thought about Waste, but it has been used as a first dance at one of our good friends' wedding, so... It's also a little too direct of a love song for a dance with parents.

I've always thought "Forever Young" would be nice.

My dad and I danced to this at my wedding. Bob Dylan's version, not Rod Stewart ;)

We both agreed that it was more of a benediction/blessing, and less of a daddy's little girl/mushy/sappy song, which would not have worked for us.

My husband and his mom danced to "What a Wonderful World."

Some of your choices may be great but what I have learned from expierence is the general audience want to hear a song they know. The few times during my wedding when they played one of "My" songs no one got it....The song selection even though it is your wedding should appeal to the masses so everyone is up and dancing. :hmm

And yes I know this is the parents dance song but I am also talking about in general wedding play lists.

Some of your choices may be great but what I have learned from expierence is the general audience want to hear a song they know. The few times during my wedding when they played one of "My" songs no one got it....The song selection even though it is your wedding should appeal to the masses so everyone is up and dancing. :hmm

And yes I know this is the parents dance song but I am also talking about in general wedding play lists.

Yeah we are having a relatively small wedding and, while some won't know the songs, most will. Thanks for the suggestions all! I think we are going to go with the version of Forever Young from The Last Waltz. We'll fade in just before the last verse (which seems the most appropriate verse) to make it a two minute dance. If anyone cares, we are our doing JGB's version of Shining Star as our first dance. We are also fading that one in to make it shorter. I love dancing with my fiance, but no one wants to see me dance for nine minutes! :lol

> Bob Dylan's version, not Rod Stewart

i must be the only person that likes Rod's version of it! (even though i'm a big Dylan fan)

Nah, there's plenty of people at Jr. high school dances across the country that love it! (well, in the '80s) :P