Obama Washington Snow Comment

Just heard this on CNN, don't see anything on the web about it...

Before he began speaking this morning, President Obama (I still love writing that) said something to the effect of...

"Before I begin, can I make a quick comment? My daughters' school was closed today because of the snow. In Chicago, they wouldn't even call this snow. My daughters both said, 'In Chicago, school is never cancelled because of snow.' And my 7-year-old said, "If this much snow fell in Chicago, we'd still be going outside for recess!'

"We're gonna need to apply some flinty Chicago toughness down here."

:)

Wow. He's funny, too. This Obama guy can do it ALL!

(Sorry for the sarcasm. Obama deserves a nice, long honeymoon. And our country surely deserves a break from shredding our President a new a-hole every day. But this walk-on-water mentality by many is really starting to make me wretch. Someday his farts will smell...just the same as all us normal humans.)

They close school here in SE Michigan much quicker than they ever did on the other side of the state (in the "lake effect" zone).

Growing up over there, we always thought of people from this side of the state (excluding Detroit itself) as pussies, and now I know why. :thumbup

We got a couple inches this AM on top of the couple feet we already had and no one flinched. Chicago schools never close unless public transportation is shut down.

As for the honeymoon, just listen to shows on either end of the spectrum (Democracy Now on the left and just about anything on the right) and you will know the honeymoon is pretty much over already.

LouieB

I hate to sound "elitist", but is flinty really hard to figure out? Flint is a hard and resilient kind of rock and flinty is an adjective based on the rock. Not so tough really...

LouieB

Off to the smarmy thread with ya.

They close school here in SE Michigan much quicker than they ever did on the other side of the state (in the "lake effect" zone).

Growing up over there, we always thought of people from this side of the state (excluding Detroit itself) as pussies, and now I know why. :thumbup

The NEVER closed school in the U.P.

There's an article in the Washington Post about it.

and I dunno. I'm sorta with him, but living a few blocks from where his daughters go to school (and the VP mansion), I don't think the schools should have been closed, but a 2 hour delay yesterday and today would have been very helpful. the buses couldn't get to my part of the neighborhood yesterday until around 10:30am and today I had to watch a bus go by because I couldn't get to it (walking anywhere this morning was a risk to anyone the sidewalks were coated with thick ice covered snow). i don't think we have as much road and sidewalk equipment here as they do in Chicago. but i guess i'll cut the guy some slack, he doesn't have to shovel his sidewalk anymore. :)

Oh, reeeeaaalllyyyyy!?

Well, growing up over here, we figured "out-staters" were pretty much all narrow-minded, religous, republican, boring, provincial pussies. (You certainly being the exception Tom)

So there!

Oh, reeeeaaalllyyyyy!?

Well, growing up over here, we figured "out-staters" were pretty much all narrow-minded, religous, republican, boring, provincial pussies. (You certainly being the exception Tom)

So there!

:lol I was wondering if you'd chime in on that.

It's funny how intrastate prejudices happen. I didn't really care one way or the other, but some of my classmates had a real animosity against "east-siders."

:lol I was wondering if you'd chime in on that.

It's funny how intrastate prejudices happen. I didn't really care one way or the other, but some of my classmates had a real animosity against "east-siders."

Yeah, I didn't really meet an out-stater until college where I roomed with a guy from Cassopolis. He was always barefoot, in overalls with no shirt. Seriously. A brilliant Lil Abner!

and I dunno. I'm sorta with him, but living a few blocks from where his daughters go to school (and the VP mansion), I don't think the schools should have been closed, but a 2 hour delay yesterday and today would have been very helpful. the buses couldn't get to my part of the neighborhood yesterday until around 10:30am and today I had to watch a bus go by because I couldn't get to it (walking anywhere this morning was a risk to anyone the sidewalks were coated with thick ice covered snow). i don't think we have as much road and sidewalk equipment here as they do in Chicago. but i guess i'll cut the guy some slack, he doesn't have to shovel his sidewalk anymore. :)

Just call us flinty....there is ice all over the joint here in Chicago and has been for weeks. Our sidestreets and alleys don't get ploughed and there are mounds of snow which will be there until well into the spring at this rate. So many mornings I just want to stay home, but alas, I have to get out and brave the traffic, etc. Just one week here in this crap would send the average southerner over the edge.

LouieB

I love chicago but it is probably the only city in the country that regularly tries to kill you both in the summer and the winter.

Yea, between the weather and the actual murder rate......

It is brutal here...hence the reason you have to be flinty (or fruity or flirty or...??)

LouieB