I Am Going The Grand Canyon

Tomorrow. From Iowa. Any recommendations on what to see or where to stop along the way? Going through Nebraska/Colorado/Utah/Arizona on the way there, and back through New Mexico/Texas/Oklahoma/Route 66. Things of interest to me are weird/good diners, interesting historical/natural sites, and bizarre bits of Americana.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about food etc, but on your way to to the park, the first time you go by a clearing and you can see the Canyon, trust me your jaw will drop.. You have no idea how large/vast/grand the canyon really is until you actually see it.

If you aren't afraid of flying, I would highly recommend a Helicopter tour.. Awesome!

Oh yeah, and this wasn't there when I went.. Looks scary as hell if you are afraid of heights.

capt_5cb2fbef71a74d218972da4dff26f086_grand_canyon_skywalk_azphp101.jpg

Corn Palace is simply amazing!!

Be careful if you choose to hike down any of the Grand Canyon trails. While it looks benign, its not a place to mess with.

Make sure to visit the lodge for a drink one night.......and do some star gazing over the Canyon afterwards......we saw the Hale-Bopp comet over the canyon in 97, very very cool sight.

I believe the north rim is partially or fully closed in winter, just a warning.

My favorite place on Earth is Monument Valley on the border of AZ and UT... you have to have a Navajo guide to go into the valley but there are tons at the park that offer touring services. Highly recommended.

The GC will probably be cold and/or snowy... don't slip. If you aren't lucky enough to have reservations in the park at the El Tovar, I think staying in Flagstaff is preferable to staying in Williams (both gateways to the park). Flagstaff has some historic buildings, a cute downtown, a world renowned telescope, etc.

From Iowa, you should take Rte 66 (or at least the main hwy that runs along the old route) by heading south from where you are and picking up the 44 in central MO and then getting on the 40 in OKC. There are tons of diners and roadside things to see off of this route (some are off the main road and you'll need to know they're there). I recommend looking at a few route 66 websites... you should be able to find a few good things. try roadtripusa.com for hints and stops.

This place in Bailey is actually pretty decent, besides being an affirmed "roadside attraction" :

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1532.

If in Denver, hit Pete's Kitchen on Colfax. It's a local legend and has been around for ages:

http://www.petesrestaurantstoo.com/petesKitchen.html

Check out the "Sleeper House" when passing along 1-70 west of Denver at Genessee Pass:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/real...4775779,00.html.

Do not miss a stop in to Red Rocks Ampitheatre in Morrison (it's open to the public when no shows are going on). It's a great little hike and a must-see.

If time permits, head north from denver to Estes Park to check out The Shining motel (Stanley) and hit Rocky Mountain National Park, where you could spend an entire day.

West of Denver is Pike's Peak, outside of Idaho Springs, which is another nice drive up to the summit. If you stop in Idaho Springs hit the TommyKnocker Brewery.

I went from Chicago to LA via route 66 a few years back.

I enjoyed seeing the Catoosa blue whale:

blue_whale.jpg

Also, the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, TX has free 72 ounce steaks if you can finish them in time:

BigTexan-1205-800.jpg

I've seen some good documentaries about Route 66 on PBS. I always wanted to stay in one of those old motels.

My dad is a Route 66 nut! We have the DVD of a few of those PBS specials, and of course he loved the movie "Cars". It was definitely a special trip.

Do not miss a stop in to Red Rocks Ampitheatre in Morrison (it's open to the public when no shows are going on). It's a great little hike and a must-see.

Completely agree with this... even seeing a subpar show may be worthwhile for the experience.

Colorado also has a multitude of great brew pubs. Depends on where you are going to be but easy to find one within a stones throw wherever you'll be.

Also, geysers at Yellow Stone are worth a trip.

You didn't mean that as a joke did you? Personally, I'd put it somewhere between amazing and biggest disaster of a tourist trap this side of Wall Drug.

QFT

It was fun when I was 7.

So was Wall Drug.

You didn't mean that as a joke did you? Personally, I'd put it somewhere between amazing and biggest disaster of a tourist trap this side of Wall Drug.

Wait, wha--what?!

You didnt like Wall Drug either?

What in tarnation is WRONG with you people?

If you say Mt Rushmore is a complete dud, thats IT......I'M OUTA HERE!!

If you say Mt Rushmore is a complete dud, thats IT......I'M OUTA HERE!!

It's not a complete dud...

I think it's pretty cool, actually ... but when I was there I was seven years old and got separated from my family, and honestly thought that they would just drive on without me. It was traumatizing enough that I still remember it quite vividly.