I Am Going The Grand Canyon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a complete dud...

I think it's pretty cool, actually ... but when I was there I was seven years old and got separated from my family, and honestly thought that they would just drive on without me. It was traumatizing enough that I still remember it quite vividly.

You could have been Joe Dirt. Admit it, you rock a mullet, right? :yay

Oh yeah, and this wasn't there when I went.. Looks scary as hell if you are afraid of heights.

capt_5cb2fbef71a74d218972da4dff26f086_grand_canyon_skywalk_azphp101.jpg

I had a bad dream about that thing a couple nights ago. Has anyone died from falling off it yet?

I'd much rather see Devils Tower, but I'm probably slanted since I've seen this abuse of nature so many times (including yesterday):

stonemt9.jpg

Is that the thing at that lame park outside of Atlanta? What a bizarre, stupid thing. I think I paid money to see it.

And as for the recommendations, good work. I don't have any idea how much time we have, but I do know we're headed to the south rim (due to the north being closed), so some things like Zion are hours out of the way. I'll try to squeeze them in, but who knows. I just found out about this trip this morning so I don't understand or have too many details.

Is that the thing at that lame park outside of Atlanta? What a bizarre, stupid thing. I think I paid money to see it.

Yeah, Stone Mountain outside of Atlanta. I did enjoy the 4D theatre.

Yeah, but in it's defense, the park is actually very nice if you stick to the hiking trails and the mountain itself and avoid the fake old-timey village and the laser show.

Yeah, but in it's defense, the park is actually very nice if you stick to the hiking trails and the mountain itself and avoid the fake old-timey village and the laser show.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I remember some of it being really neat. Just kind of weird to have all of that other stuff in the middle of a state park. Unless that kind of thing is common in state parks that I'm not familiar with?

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I remember some of it being really neat. Just kind of weird to have all of that other stuff in the middle of a state park. Unless that kind of thing is common in state parks that I'm not familiar with?

It's actually a privately owned park, if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe it's state owned land, but the state sells the rights to run it to a private interest. I can't remeber exactly. Considering that, it's surprising that the nature aspect of the park is as pristine as it is.

All bas-reliefs? Or just that one?

I don't have anything against bas-reliefs. I think I'd rather see Devils Tower, regardless of how goofy the Stone Mountain carving is.

Wait, wha--what?!

You didnt like Wall Drug either?

What in tarnation is WRONG with you people?

If you say Mt Rushmore is a complete dud, thats IT......I'M OUTA HERE!!

Since when would anyone drive through South Dakota to get from Iowa to Arizona? Why are we discussing SD tourist attractions? Iowa is south of SD. Check your geography.

Utah is unbelievable - yes, Canyonlands is nice (moreso if you're a biker), but for quick hikes and a shorter drive off the interstate, Arches can't be beat. Bryce Canyon and Zion are unbeatable too. If you are planning on staying in Flagstaff I recommend passing it and hitting Sedona instead (about 20 miles south). Sedona is beautiful.

If you plan on heading south on 25 in CO into NM, and heading over on I-40, I would hit the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert. You should also stand on the corner in Winslow, AZ...

Devils Tower vs Mt Rushmore?

dreyfus-without-the-mashed-potatoes.jpg

This place was pretty great.

Flagstaff Brewing Company

I went there, it was good. Wasn't sure if it was still open.

On Devils Tower v. Mt. Rushmore, I guess it depends upon your POV. I was pretty awestruck by both, but then we can debate lot of things...

God's (or nature's for non-believers) work vs. Man's

Carving up a mountain that's sacred to the Sioux (if what I'm told is true) to honor people who either directly or indirectly helped cause their near-extinction.

Agree with a lot so far, especially Monument Valley.

Look out in town close to Grand Canyon, where even McDonald's jacks up the price beyond imagination! :stunned

Just west of Amarillo is The Cadillac Ranch - a Route 66 MUST SEE!!! Simple, but cool!

For food, try El Tejevan on the north side of I-40 in Amarillo at the Paramount exit. Great authentic mexican food!!!!

(Tacos al pastor) :thumbup or grab one of the best burgers you could ever eat and a beer at Blue Sky, south of I-40 off Western (Don't forget the onion rings).

You can't go wrong with either two. The more MOM & POP places are a little harder to find, but if you are really interested PM me and I'll give directions.

The second largest canyon is the Palo Duro Canyon, south of Amarillo about 30 miles or so, but if you just came from the Big Daddy, it won't be that impressive.

The largest cross in the Northern Hemisphere is in Groom, Texas. Right by the hwy.

The Barbed wire museum is in McLean, Texas. You'd be surprised at how cool that place is.

Stop in to see Chaco Canyon in NM just southeast of 4 corners if you can -- simply amazing.

We did a R66 trip a few years back from the art institute in chicago through to OK -- the oldest parts of the road are in southern IL and sooo cool.

You didn't mean that as a joke did you? Personally, I'd put it somewhere between amazing and biggest disaster of a tourist trap this side of Wall Drug.
Both are fun and both are nowhere near the Grand Canyon.

LouieB