NY post cartoon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Racist? Not racist? Stupid? All of the above?

2009-02-18-cartoon.jpg

stupid. i think what they're trying to say is that politicians are a bunch of monkeys (although a chimp is actually an ape but who uses the word ape in a reference like that; and if the planet earth series doesn't know the difference between a monkey and an ape why should a cartoonist). but at the same time whoever made the cartoon is either a deep racist and the editors aren't doing their jobs and didn't catch it or is completely oblivious to the history of this country and didn't make the correlation at all to the racist undertones the cartoon carries. either way it is more tasteless than the controversial cover that was somewhat satirical. the editors aren't doing their job and this is just plain bad.

I'd say it's not thinking it through far enough for the cartoonist to not realize it could be considered racist and stupidity on the part of the paper for running it.

ed. Then again, I don't know the artist and his history (^).

So it's racist because congress is overwhelmingly black and therefore the "monkey" is in reference to them?

I don't get it.

So it's racist because congress is overwhelmingly black and therefore the "monkey" is in reference to them?

Obama played a major role in the writing of the bill, and people see the monkey as a racist reference to him.

The president may not write legislation, but this bill is (rightly) associated with Obama.

I can understand why people would think it's offensive, and while I can't say that the cartoonist/paper is racist, I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that they are stupid. Putting a sign around the chimp's neck that says "Congress" would have been an easy fix that should have been obvious to most people.

Wherein wikipedia provides information related to the probability of an army of monkeys crafting a stimulus bill, or in this example, Hamlet.

Ignoring punctuation, spacing, and capitalization, a monkey typing letters uniformly at random has a chance of one in 26 of correctly typing the first letter of Hamlet. It has a chance of one in 676 (26

There is a certain degree of idiocy that pops up with the automatic "That's racist" response.

Befuddling it is.

If the Dallas/Ft Worth area there is a town called Frisco. A growing suburban community with historically deep rural roots. One of those former farming communities that became a haven for downtown workers overnight.

For 50 years or so, the mascot of Frisco High School was the Racoon...referred to in rural areas as Coons. The Frisco Coons.

There is a Catholic school in the Dallas area: Bishop Lynch. They informally referred to their sports teams as the Lynch Mob. You can probably guess the rest of the story on both. One more innocent than the other...but both attacked and castigated.

Idiocy.

Pretty soon Nabisco is going to have to change the name of the creame filled snack cookie.

If we keep responding to every possible racial or ethnic slight like it was 1957, then we will perpetuate the attitudes.