New Conor Oberst "solo" record -- "Outer South"

I don't know why but it seems like such a random pairing to me. Anyway, I'm pretty pumped to see it!

Turns out that Mr. Oberst will be opening for Wilco in July, so I'll be seeing his new band. I'm not at all familiar with his stuff, but I guess I'll check it out.

been a long time bright eyes fans and conor's new band... wide awake, it's morning is one of the better records I have ever heard but casadaga isn't anywhere near as good. Haven't got the really early Bright Eyes stuff but will get it eventually. Looking forward to the new record and the tour with wilco :)

I've listened to the record quite a bit and feel pretty luke warm about it. White Shows is so so incredible and is what Conor does best, some of the upbeat numbers that Conor sings are alright (as well as the other guy with the lower voice Difference Is Time and Big Black Nothing) but I am actually surprised that there is a singer on a Conor Oberst record that can be more irritating than him, I can't remember his name but I definitely skip Air Mattress and it's not just because of the bad synth.

I've listened to the record quite a bit and feel pretty luke warm about it. White Shows is so so incredible and is what Conor does best, some of the upbeat numbers that Conor sings are alright (as well as the other guy with the lower voice Difference Is Time and Big Black Nothing) but I am actually surprised that there is a singer on a Conor Oberst record that can be more irritating than him, I can't remember his name but I definitely skip Air Mattress and it's not just because of the bad synth.

Taylor Hollingsworth sings on "Air Mattress." Not huge on that particular song, but that guy is awesome (though I think he might believe this about himself a little too much). Probably the best musician, technically, in the gang.

i dig this record.

i agree it's way too long, but you can make your own 40 min album and then have a bonus EP i guess.

i might look into the Nik Freitas solo stuff - i like Big Black Nothing - he sounds kinda like the one Dr Dog dude minus the rasp and a little Richard Ashcroft.

btw - anyone seen a picture that labels who all the band is?

other than Conor i don't know what any of the other guys look like.

other than Conor i don't know what any of the other guys look like.

51-dazmztal_ss500_.jpg

From left to right, I think it is: Nik Freitas, Conor Oberst, Jason Boesel, Taylor Hollingsworth, Thomas Macey Taylor, Nate Walcott.

i might look into the Nik Freitas solo stuff - i like Big Black Nothing - he sounds kinda like the one Dr Dog dude minus the rasp and a little Richard Ashcroft.

Nik's album "Voicing the Hammers" is his best. I'd get that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone happen to know of any specific Mystic Valley Band shows that are available that are off soundboards or FM broadcasts? I would really enjoy to hear some more live stuff from these guys, all I have is that 400 Bar show. There is a descent forum for Conor Oberst, but for some reason the bootleg thread doesn't include if the shows are soundboard or not. Thanks in advance!

Would anyone happen to know of any specific Mystic Valley Band shows that are available that are off soundboards or FM broadcasts? I would really enjoy to hear some more live stuff from these guys, all I have is that 400 Bar show. There is a descent forum for Conor Oberst, but for some reason the bootleg thread doesn't include if the shows are soundboard or not. Thanks in advance!

Which forum is decent for Conor? The Saddle Creek one? I've never found a decent one, but based on Bright Eyes' history I don't recall seeing many soundboards or fm broadcasts. If they're torrents you can just download the txt file and see if it includes lineage.