New Conor Oberst "solo" record -- "Outer South"

This is good news indeed--and so soon:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news...erst-album-tour

Looks like this whole Mystic Valley Band thing is the real deal for Conor Oberst-- they even have cool matching windbreakers to prove it (left). The Bright Eyes mastermind's non-Bright Eyes band is already set to drop the follow-up to last year's sorta-underrated Conor Oberst. It's called Outer South and it's out May 5 on Merge. While Oberst wrote nearly all of the songs for the first album with the Mystic Valley Band, Outer South includes songwriting contributions from Nik Boesel, Nik Freitas, and Taylor Hollingsworth in addition to Oberst. This makes sense because, when I saw the group in NYC last year, the main attraction played sideman on a few of the night's Gram Parsons-style songs-- in other words, Outer South looks to be more of a band album. Oberst is still prolific, but not inhumanly prolific, apparently. The record will include the gum-themed country track "Nikorette", which the group performed on "Conan" last year.

The Mystic Valley Band will endure the Coachella heat this year and they're doing some smaller gigs in the Western half of the United States starting April 9, too. Hang it on your calendar:

Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band:

04-09 Omaha, NE - The Slowdown

04-10 Denver, CO - Ogden Theater

04-11 Aspen, CO - Belly Up

04-12 El Paso, TX - Barnett Harley Davidson

04-13 Albuquerque, NM - The Sunshine Theater

04-14 Tempe, AZ - The Marquee

04-15 Pomona, CA - The Glasshouse

04-17 Indio, CA - Coachella

06-18 Telluride, CO - Telluride Bluegrass Festival

Wow, its completely backwards for me. I used to hate the very idea of that little bugger. I would cringe when I heard him sing. I would make fun of people who put his records on at parties. Then, I saw Wide Awake for sale and secretly bought it. The conversion was swift. I rode around all day and listened to it over and over. The last (solo) record has a solid spot in the album rotation at work. Often in full listening range of some of the very people I used to mock for liking him. I'm looking forward to this album.

Perhaps you and I crossed paths that fateful morning, and in doing so, exchanged musical tastes ala Judge Reinhold and Fred Savage in Vice Versa.

Perhaps you and I crossed paths that fateful morning, and in doing so, exchanged musical tastes ala Judge Reinhold and Fred Savage in Vice Versa.

I'd prefer if it were "Like Father/Like Son" if only for a good Dudley Moore joke again. Plus, I'd get a Jeep out of the deal.

I find his older stuff especially annoying, but later Bright Eyes (with the exception of Cassadaga) and his solo record are great. I am really excited about the new disc because the last one was stellar, in my opinion.

agreed.

i'm hoping this is better than the S/T though... even though i liked that more than Cassadaga. the live show was a lot better, and they played a few new songs, so i think it will be.

agreed.

i'm hoping this is better than the S/T though... even though i liked that more than Cassadaga. the live show was a lot better, and they played a few new songs, so i think it will be.

Im thinking the same thing. The record didn't really grab me, but I LOVED the live show. Hopefully now that they've been together for a while, the band will change his direction a little.

• 1 month later...

I'm really liking this new record. Just saw them in Aspen last weekend. They put on an awesome show. Roosevelt Room is way sweet live. He played it a few times with Bright Eyes back in 07 but now it's even better. Taylor Hollingsworth is an awesome guitarist. his solo records are pretty fun too.

I always was pretty lukewarm on the birght eyes but i really dig the mystic valley band. i attribute that largely to taylor and macey. it's great to see those guys having some success.

yeah for sure.

I like MVB more than Bright Eyes too.

Watched that movie last night. I understand now why it was given away for free. I liked it and all, but there's not really much there.

As for the new record, I'm getting into a bit more. It still isn't as good as the first one, though. I feel like, had they trimmed it down to 12 songs or so, it could be excellent.