So, Badfinger is pretty good. I never listened to them before and never knew they had quite the tragedy-laden career.

A great band screwed over by an asshole business manager, resulting in two suicides.

Stan Polley will rot in hell. I think that fucker is still alive.

This is my favorite of theirs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T29-VNiC3Qg

When I first started collecting vinyl about 10 years ago, I really got into Badfinger. One of those bands that we all know a few songs, but don't realize that we should have known so much more. Their second album, it is self titled right? Is unbelievable. Anyway. Sad story.

One of those groups where the songs you hear on the radio are the best ones. Great songwriters, pure pop gems that I never get tired of listening to. Don't forget "I can't live" which Nilsson later made famous.

One of those groups where the songs you hear on the radio are the best ones. Great songwriters, pure pop gems that I never get tired of listening to. Don't forget "Without You" which Nilsson later made famous.

(Sorry, I had to do that.)

But yeah, they wrote great song after great song.

One of the truly great power pop bands...ever.

A classic story of a band getting sodomized by the industry/manager. One band member suicide is tragic...two speaks volumes about the depths of despair this band was pushed to.

For my money No Dice, Straight Up, Ass and Wish You Were Here are as good as 70's power pop/rock get.

Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke, Apple of My Eye, Baby Blue, Day After Day, Suitcase, No Matter What, Without You, Name of the Game...damn great songs. Plus, what other band would have the guts to write a song called Blodwyn in an English folk song mode. Great fucking stuff.

Pete Ham was one of the great songwriters of the Rock era; however, Joey Molland, Tom Evans AND Mike Gibbons were all capable songwriters.

Their radio hits keep their legacy somewhat alive...but you can't go wrong if you get the four records I mentioned above...

One of my favorite bands. Read this biography on them a few years ago and it really goes into how much they were screwed over.

2bkcvr.jpg

Pete Ham's estate put out two albums of demos and unfinished songs that are really good. It's a shame the group didn't record a few of those:

GGfront.gif

7parkave.jpg

George Harrison had a freindship with Pete Ham over the years. His version of "Here Comes the Sun" with George at the Bangladesh concert was superb. It goes to show how much George thought of his playing and singing to accompany him on that stage with that song. (Not to mention Georges involvment in some Badfinger recordings.) The biography goes into their friendship a bit and it seems after Pete died, George would never really talk about Pete when asked.

Their early records were really great. I usually pull one of those out every few months or so.

Baby Blue, Day After Day, No Matter What, Without You, Name of the Game

these in particular are simply among the best songs i've ever heard

and i'd add Take it All and We're for the Dark to that list

at their best, badfinger - and pete ham especially - was as good as any band ever, even the beatles, stones and kinks

phenomenal